Front Wheel Removal

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
hempev
Front Wheel Removal

I can't find this in the Collective Handbook, or by any search of threads, so I have to ask here: how do you get off the front wheel without breaking anything?! I can't budge the Allen wrench in the axle, and I am only willing to use a moderate amount of force with an extension (i.e. pipe), and the smaller Allen bolt that runs into the fork doesn't want to budge either (stripped 2 wrench heads with mild force, need to buy a new one now). What is the *proper* order of removal and torque effort I can apply?

hempev
Re: Front Wheel Removal

With a stronger Allen wrench for the smaller bolt, I applied more force and finally heard a *crack* of release! These bolts hadn't been off since it was built - the tires lasted 11,000 miles, so the rear is bald and the front is oddly lumpy. Hope a new pair helps with cornering!

PJD
PJD's picture

I am not familiar with your specific application, but it is common to need a good-quality Allen-wrench-ended 3/8-inch drive wrench socket to loosen for such tight hex cap screws.

Of course, the appropriate torque for loosening something is whatever torque it takes - if the bolt is seized and breaks, it breaks, and needs to be drilled out and if necessary, re-tapped for the next size bolt or heli-coil insert.

martinwinlow

Secure front brake lever to prevent operation with wheel off.
Elevate and secure Vectrix (at least the front end!).
Remove 'clinch bolt' (forward facing and at right angles to axle) using allen key or similar.
Remove axle shaft using allen key or similar turning anti-clockwise

… and don't forget several, 30 mins apart (and ideally at least once over-night), soakings with WD40 (or whatever you use in the US!) penetrating oil!!! MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

Mik
Mik's picture

I have added this thread to the http://visforvoltage.org/forum/6737-vectrix-collaborative-handbook , please stay on topic.

Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage