Vectrix Rider on a Zero

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kocho
Vectrix Rider on a Zero

A fellow Vectrix rider mentioned that today Zero Motorcycles has a demo day in our area. We just had to go and check out Zero. I rode the 2014 Zero S first. Coming from a Vectrix, and having not ridden a "real" motorcycle in two decades, the S felt a bit overwhelming, even in the "Eco" mode, which limits its performance somewhat. Due to the larger wheels, it requires proper countersteering technique to turn, much more so than the Vectrix. Eventually I switched to "Sport" mode, which made thongs even more lively. Bu the time I started to get comfortable, the test ride was over. Since there wasn't a huge crowd at the demo, I went for another ride, this time on the FX. Very different riding position, lighter, just as fast, with probably faster acceleration die to the lower weight.

What really impressed me, however, was the ride on the SR. Wow! By this third test ride, I'd gotten used to the eco mode and felt the desire and confidence to go beyond its limits, and switched to Sport almost from the start. Zero claims 0 to 60mph in 3.3 seconds. I did not have the courage (and skill) to try full power and test that on the SR, but I think I got close. It is just so responsive, smooth, and quiet! Instant torque (tons of it) at any speed and especially after it gets going past 20-30mph.

Not having two hand brakes was a bit odd at first, but I quickly realized it was better this way - you got to hold on to those handlebars tight ;) and having a foot brake allows you to do that.

Anyway, it was a great fun and I'm glad I got the chance to ride a nice "real" bike form change. But, both my buddy and I agreed that the Vectrix's cushy seat had spoiled us - Zero needs to pad those seats a bit better.

JimmyB
Re: Vectrix Rider on a Zero

was this at Coleman Powersports? That's just a few blocks from my house - I'd have gone but I'm out of the country at the mo :( Thanks for the write-up though. If I win the lottery I'd love a Zero :D

Kocho

Yes, Coleman. Today is the second day of the demo. Yup, expensive :( And not even an ABS...

NullPointer

Now that was a fun ride! The high torque at any speed is amazing. It's incredible to see how much these bikes have progressed coming from an 07 VX-1. But I have to say, I really missed not having a reverse throttle on the Zero - several times I instinctively tried to slow down using reverse throttle!

And yes, I did miss the cushy seats too :) But that SR is a rocket!

Nice to meet up with you again, Kocho.

israndy
israndy's picture

Well, now wait... I thought the Zeros were just what the Vectrix cost back in the day. Sure you can buy a working VX-1 now for $2000 used, but when I first heard of Vectrix they cost $14,000. Since they seem to just go on and on, perhaps we will see them getting re-sold for years yet. I wonder how long it will take Zero to start showing up used?

This has me thinking... Who paid full price for their bike? I got mine the day Vectrix first declared bankruptcy and I was the one informing the dealer of such. It helped that no one at Vectrix would answer the phone that day, so my dealer was quite panicked, they had just brought in 5 bikes... They later went out of business themselves, but really a Vectrix, Mitsubishi dealer? I offered them $4000 cash and then lay the bad news about Vectrix on them, and after 3 hours of gabbing I owned the bike.

I have to imagine a lot of you have similar stories, as the bikes have gotten cheaper I have seen more of them. I am shopping for another one right now, though as I won't ride it daily I am thinking of the VX-2 and their cheaper lead acid battery, not a lot of cheap ones yet, but I am watching. As always, if Vectrix is declaring bankruptcy I am shopping!

-Randy

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage