electric harley.... seemingly

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
ofx210p
electric harley.... seemingly

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xRnaIL0n_1k

ok they're not officially announcing yet... but speculation is all over the internet
just google electric harley davidson

electric harley video teaser

Aircon
Re: electric harley.... seemingly

ok they're not officially announcing yet... but speculation is all over the internet

The Hells Angels will be thrilled!

Aircon

It actually looks like quite a nice unit, I have to say

ofx210p

Here's some more

Harley Livewire new video

I think "the hells angels wont like it" is exactly the point.

I would be guessing Harley are marketing to the 18-30 age , the people interested in technology, the people who want "cool", not "bikers" .

In my opinion, Baby-boomers are dead in the water for HD now. They are literally dying off and the people who rebelled against society in the 1960's - 1990's by riding a Harley are now just conformists by riding a Harley. (Re: Harley owners group HOG etc) . The only way for kids to rebel is to tell society that petrol engines are so passe and outdated (like a model T in comparison to a monocoque lotus) in comparison to something electric.

Look at Apple - market "cool" and get more than just "designers" to buy your appliances and suddenly your market grows exponentially. If Harley can make this happen and happen fast and cost effectively for the kids to afford.... they have it made. Its cool, and "harley".

I'll be keeping my eyes on it for sure.

Incidentally I actually know no more than you do on this front !

PS although i work for a HD Dealership - these are my own opinions and do not represent any corporation or companies view.

elevatorguy
elevatorguy's picture

From all the comments on FB, the bikers hate this thing. I kind of like it, just disappointed in the range of 53 miles.
I understand HD trying to stay in the game by bringing an electric into the mix to appeal to a larger audience.
I don't know the price point yet but if reasonable I would be interested, only if the range is improved or a larger pack is available.
I am not ready to trade my ICE HD yet..

elevatorguy
elevatorguy's picture

From all the comments on FB, the bikers hate this thing. I kind of like it, just disappointed in the range of 53 miles.
I understand HD trying to stay in the game by bringing an electric into the mix to appeal to a larger audience.
I don't know the price point yet but if reasonable I would be interested, only if the range is improved or a larger pack is available.
I am not ready to trade my ICE HD yet..

hempev

Between Mission and Lightning Motorcycles, we have enough $30K+ cycles available, so I would hope H-D would be more willing to make their electric along the lines of a feet-forward, low-seating cruiser rather than a cheaper/slower version of the other 2 e-bikes.

Caruso
Caruso's picture

I like the look of it, and that on the move it's not silent. But I think a big part of the appeal of a Harley is the noise it makes, and you can't rev an electric bike at the lights.

PJD
PJD's picture

My understanding is that there are no plans to sell this electric Harley, they are just exhibiting it around the USA (and Canada?) to see what the reaction is.

This is going to flop in record speed. Harley owners are overwhelmingly conservative, global-warming-denying suburbanites. The whole idea of a Harley is to celebrate, loudly, and smelly, the burning of fossil fuels with no apologies - even for hearing damage.

Any successful 2-wheel EV needs to do the following:

1. Be practical for day-to-day urban use - i.e. be able to carry groceries and stuff.

2. Appeal to the urban-millennial generation who are increasingly adverse to anything with an IC engine.

3. Be design-flaw free upon roll out.

4. Be no more than slightly more expensive than a comparable IC cycle.

5. Have a real dealer/service network

The scooter format is still the tried-and true platform to accomplish items 1 and 2. But all so far have failed or are failing items 3, 4 and 5. The startups so far have not had anything close to the capital and economy of scale needed to accomplish 4 and 5. Harley is uniquely positioned by their size to accomplish 4 and 5. But to do so, they must avoid putting the Harley logo anywhere near it and start up a new division instead.

ofx210p

Ok there are a few things that i respectfully disagree with here.

Firstly is "H-D aren't going to launch this anytime soon...." well, i know i know, they are saying that... but there are seemingly a large number of these bikes already out there being tested. The product looks like a finished product - frame - motor castings.... and and obviously from an employee of a dealership i recognise a few parts that are just from the typical parts bin of harley bits (vrod wingmirrors - std harley fitment brake and handlebar systems).

So my personal opinion is that it will either be released in August when they release the model year bikes each year or 6 months after that when they do the mid-year models.

My reasoning for this is because they would be crazy to ramp up the interest and marketing in this model only to let it fall flat and let another manufacturer steal their thunder by announcing AND releasing within the next 12 months.

So, on to other aspects
"Any successful 2-wheel EV needs to do the following:"
1. Be practical for day-to-day urban use - i.e. be able to carry groceries and stuff.

Not a chance... of course it doesn't. Its a motorcycle - it just needs to appeal to people who want a motorcycle that can do bar hopping, whanging around town or commuting.

2. Appeal to the urban-millennial generation who are increasingly adverse to anything with an IC engine.

Agreed - The creation and direction of this bike shows to me that the present marketing to all babyboomers etc is now over . This model is completely aimed at the 18-30 age group. Harley Don't care a jot about what the traditional market feels about this bike. The fact that they are talking about this motorcycle as being more "ELECTRIC GUITAR" than "ELECTRIC MOTORBIKE" and that it sounds like a "TOP-GUN" Jet rather than a traditional silent EV... they are aiming at "COOL" more than practical.

3. Agreed it shouldnt have ANY issues upon release.

With Mission motorcycles being the main supplier (from what i have read) for the control and motor systems, they already have a proven track record in production of electric albeit highend motorcycles. Consequently harley making all the running gear and Mission doing the "engine" and std battery chemistry and chargers, plus the fact its already been a couple of years into the design phase, surely it can't have many (if any) teething problems .

4. Be no more than slightly more expensive than a comparable IC cycle.

This is a tricky one because Harley have always been more expensive and a "Premium product" therefore it will sell regardless. Plus its "cool" factor as Apple products were significantly more expensive than their counterparts upon release yet they still sold and now its an "acceptable" price point for a premium product.

So with that in mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see this sell almost regardless of price (within reason) for someone who wants to be seen as HIP and cool, designers and techies are going to flock to it simply because of that. The fact that its expensive in comparison to something like a scooter... even more so.

5. Have a real dealer/service network

Here's harleys ace in the hole. The dealernetwork is massive and the systems within that are equally massive and pre-setup. Launching this model is so easy for them, once they say the word the parts catalogues are updated, the imagery for individual dealer marketing is available and the Harley Marketing engine literally goes into overdrive.

Personally I suspect that their biggest hold back on this product is to have ENOUGH customising parts / clothing / accessories and other externally manufactured parts available, not least ENOUGH actual bikes pre-manufactured to sell in time. Therefore I would suggest that the delays and the customer feedback may result in some software changes on the bike and nothing more.

However one thing that I must say in respect of full disclosure is that although I actually work for a HD dealership, we only knew of the announcement 2 days before the rest of the world AND whats more we weren't told WHAT they were going to announce. So in many ways I can tell you how the marketing engine might play out but in reality they keep their cards very close to their chest in every other way.

Cheers

Chris

Aircon

I'm glad you posted that, Chris, it reflects my thoughts exactly.....except I think your age group assessment is too restrictive. I think it'll appeal to people much older than that too.

LithiumVectrix

Harley Davidson Project Livewire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6F8O5A__Ds&feature=youtu.be

Where to test-ride the 'Project LiveWire' electric Harley
http://www.cnet.com/au/news/where-to-test-ride-the-project-livewire-electric-harley/

Cool Bike, though I am dissapointed with the 50 mile range.

Kocho

Harley has demos on Friday and over the weekend in Boston, accodring to their web site. Hard to tell where exactly though... Some link puts it here: http://boston.eventful.com/events/boston-harleydavidson-hosts-project-livewire-exp-/E0-001-072091654-9 , but that dealer only mentions Friday - unclear where they will be over the weekend.

And, by the way, Harley'w web site says they are hiring electrical engineers - I think they will push this project into production pretty soon. Hopefully :)

PJD
PJD's picture

Chris,

Maybe things are different here in the rust belt. You comments seem to assume we (especially the millennial generation struggling through a crushing student debt with a minimum wage job) would buy a 2-wheel EV as just something "that can do bar hopping, whanging around town" - a pure vanity purchase.

When I get inquiries about my Current scooter, there is always some interest, until the issue of cost come's up. When I tell them "about $10,000" the conversation ends. And yes, it needs to be practical and carry stuff - this is day to day transportation for at least 3 seasons out of the year.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage