Mix and Match Firmware Versions

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kocho
Mix and Match Firmware Versions

What's your experience from riding with "mismatched" charger and motor controller firmware versions?

I know the charger and controller likely communicate over the CAN bus, so mismatched versions *might* break that communication. Or, passed values *might* be wrong or misinterpreted.

What I'm asking is what you actually know for sure from observations and analysis (as opposed to conjecture).

I must also mention that, while I don't think mixing versions will cause any damage to the Vectrix (once installed, they are read-only and the process is reversible), it *might* create an unsafe driving condition (by, for instance, shutting the bike in the middle of the highway). So, it could indeed be dangerous! Or not. So, let's not dwell on that aspect too much, unless we have actual information.

Let me start: I'm currently running the Laird's charger firmware that he gave me a few months back. So, not the latest from him, but close. The motor controller is on the latest Vectrix production firmware, with the 68mph limit. This seems to be a really nice combo so far and I have not seen any I'll effects. It appears to have all benefits from the Laird's charging firmware, including his "gentler and safer" charging algorithm, accurate level count down on the road (no disappearing bars issue), operating voltage displayed while riding, constant fan operation. It also appears to have preserved all the benefits of the latest motor controller firmware too - huh speed limit, safe low voltage/SoC protection (the red battery low lamp comes on as it should, at a little below 120V instead of the damaging low levels of the old firmware, and power is cut accordingly), I can also see the MC voltage and temp using the left brake and the kill switch, and can turn off my headlight's low beam if I want to (and leave the LED on only), etc.

Thoughts?

Kocho
Re: Mix and Match Firmware Versions

EDIT (can't actually edit the first message in a thread for some reason here): The charge bars don't work on my bike when in use, i.e., they are "stuck" at whatever level the charge ends. Started my trip with 5 bars, ended 20km (12 miles) later at 5 bars.

My particular bike I think has some issue with charging and tracking the bars, so I'm not sure if what I'm observing is an ill side effect of mixing the firmware versions or something specific to my bike (i.e., with stock firmware, not Laird's, my bars completely dissapear even on a full charge the moment I start the bike). I'll have to do some more digging into that. But the rest of the functionality seems to behave as I described in the top post.

antiscab

EDIT (can't actually edit the first message in a thread for some reason here): The charge bars don't work on my bike when in use, i.e., they are "stuck" at whatever level the charge ends. Started my trip with 5 bars, ended 20km (12 miles) later at 5 bars.

MC1017 reports the battery current to a different CAN ID than MC1014b

as a consequence, only charger versions that match will have a working fuel guage

personally I just use the MC1017-68mph and a cycle analyst - if using the original charger I use a firmware version that just resets the fuel gauge to 0 every time the bike is turned on

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

hybride

Kocho, what is the 'latest' MC production firmware you are driving with?

The latest MC version i have here is MCR2042-4. Didn't try that file. Don't even know if it would work on my VX-1 (Converted with Calb 40aH / ECD charger / EV display)

It now drive on MC1014B+LION40 (The Laird)

I would try a newer MC firmware to have the current limiter work

I

Kocho

The latest I have seen is 3002 for the ESD charger with original NiMh pack and 1017 for the MC.

antiscab

Kocho, what is the 'latest' MC production firmware you are driving with?

The latest MC version i have here is MCR2042-4. Didn't try that file. Don't even know if it would work on my VX-1 (Converted with Calb 40aH / ECD charger / EV display)

It now drive on MC1014B+LION40 (The Laird)

I would try a newer MC firmware to have the current limiter work

What is the current limiter you refer to?

I haven't seen MC firmware version 2042 as yet

is there an option to reduce the battery current? or phase current? or both?

cheers,
Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

hybride

As i understand the Li+ versions should have current limitation at about 140A. I cannot verify...

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage