Problem with firmware update- urgently help wanted

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Seiermann
Problem with firmware update- urgently help wanted

Hi all,
I´m just trying to update the firmware of my V (Li 30 Ah).
I started updating the BMS firmware ver. 53 to ver. 54. At the beginning all seemde to be good, to BMS modules were updated.
Since the second module was updated a message appeared: "Attempting to resume motor controller traffic...", the instrument panel shows "no TS"
The scooter is still on (not Go) the notebook connected, the Canbus-connection is still up.
What can I do now? If I shut down the connection the scooter won´t start again... :-(
Please help! What can I do?
Greets
Seiermann

Seiermann
Re: Problem with firmware update- urgently help wanted

I just looked into the status logger of the scooterdiag.
No problem visible, all 4 BMS boards were updated, the last entry is "Attempting to resume motor controller traffic.."
The FW download window don´t close or change the status of the progress bar...
I´m afraid of powering off the scooter/ the notebook cause I have fear that the scooter won´t start again...
Hoping that someone can give any advice what to do...
Greets
Seiermann

Seiermann

Ok, I restarted the scooter, and what happened?
Nothing, all is ok again. :-)

Maybe the scooterdiag hang, I don´t know...
If someone has any advices for the firmaware updates I would be very happy to read as I firstly stopped to do further updates.
Greets
Seiermann

R
R's picture

The only component that will brick the entire vectrix, if a failed firmware update occur, is the motorcontroller. The BMS update will halt if any BMS board is damaged, but the vectrix will resume without problem.

Seiermann

Hi R,

Is there somthing special to be considered when updating the MC firmware? (except the "normal" things)

Greets
Seiermann

R
R's picture

Yes Seirmann, a pair of things:
First, read this x-vectrix post:

This problem has been a PITA since day one, especially with the older diagnostics. The MC uses an older TI processor that does not retain the bootloader code during reprogramming. The architecture requires that all the flash be erased before loading new code. So, during MC reprogramming, the first thing the bootloader does is copy itself to volatile RAM on the processor. The bootloader then begins executing from RAM so that it can erase the entire flash, then load new code. Then it copys itself back to flash. The other issue is that the available RAM is so small that the bootloader code cannot be made very complex or robust. It literally uses every available address of RAM. If one line of code were added, one line would have to be deleted somewhere else. The result is that any glitch in the CAN communication or anything can cause the reprogramming sequence to fail or hang. Sometimes it is recoverable by restarting the diags, but it depends on where it was in the reprogramming process. Turning off the scoot leaves the MC in an unrecoverable state. Once this happens, the only way to recover is to reprogram the MC directly from the JTAG port on the PCB. Its very simple and fast but requires some expensive programming hardware. This puts the code and BL back in flash.
Most newer processors have flash that can be erased in segments. So you can put the bootloader in a protected area and not have to worry about losing it. Also, there is lots of code space available so it can be made very robust.

Secondly, some vectrix were bricked because the Scooterdiag was not properly installed on the computer: An uninstalled program was executed inside a downloaded folder from internet. This faulty program failed to upgrade the firmware properly, bricking the vectrix: ONLY use installed scooterdiag program only.

Third, use a laptop with a good battery, to avoid upgrading interruptions due to aN electric power failure.Oh! and never plug the vectrix and the laptop at the same time, or the laptop will be fried (unless you have a peak canbus adapter with galvanic isolation).
HOpe it helps...

Seiermann

Thanks R!
I´ll attend the advice when updating the other firmwares...
Greets
Seiermann

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage