Have you ever scraped the road during tirns?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kocho
Have you ever scraped the road during tirns?

Well, it happened to me today for a first time: while taking a curve in the road (a left turn on an intersection) fairly briskly, the bottom of the foot peg scraped the road. Now I have a black dash on the underside where I used to have white paint...

Just looking at the Vectrix it seems I would need a rather extreme lean to scrape the asphalt. But I guess during this fairly tight turn at high-ish speed, my 200lb or so compressed the suspension pretty good and it lowered the bike enough to scrape at what I thought must have been a fairly moderate lean angle...

Luckily, the scrape is not visible unless I bend over to look for it, plus the part is plastic, so it won't rust :)

redvectrix
Re: Have you ever scraped the road during tirns?

Yes, both sides... and I think your diagnosis is correct. As you say, you can't really see it. MW

RedVectrix
Enfield, UK

MEroller
MEroller's picture

I just did it today for the first time on my new Swiss ride, and in my case it was the underside of the bottom fairing. The main stand appears to be somewhat recessed.
On my Chinese ride it is clearly the main stand (both sides) that has road contact in tight fast turns.

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

PJD
PJD's picture

Maybe you have posted this elsewhere, but what is your Swiss ride?

On my Current scooter (using the generic Chinese "touring" body) the side stand foot peg would scrape fairly easily on hard left turns, I had bend it inward and adjust the suspension a bit which unfortunately made the already hard ride even harsher.

I think the very low placement of the battery pack tray may be part to blame. Maybe I need to check this with pencil and paper, but the low CG seems to result in needing a steeper lean in turns, and a certain excess amount of "roll stability" that makes tightening a turn harder.

R
R's picture

yes!! both sides... This is the purpose of that plastic: better scrap that plastic than the engine!
Just hang off below the vectrix, like the 3rd picture:

motoret-blog-2010-01-25-11-02-00_thumb_l.jpg
That's me riding my Vectrix in the F-1 Catalunya Circuit:
dorsal_07_foto_09__Small_.jpg

Kocho

Cool pic., R! Yup, I've been hanging off the seat when I get the chance to prepare for a smooth turn ahead. That greatly reduces the lean needed.

On this one turn where I scraped, I had to correct very quickly: I was in the left of two lanes turning left and the car next to me was trying to take the turn too fast for its own good and was beginning to cut me off - so I had to make the turn tighter than I planned initially and to do that quickly... I don't think I was hanging too aggressively at this point, but I was not trying to push the bike down either - probably was close to neutral when it scraped. It was just a very tight turn which noticeably made the bike squat down. Who knows, happened fast so I was not able to analyze the situtation ;)

MEroller
MEroller's picture

double post...

My rides:

MEroller
MEroller's picture

It is so abominably ugly I hardly dare tell - it is a vR one... Formerly known as Quantya vR one.

My rides:

PJD
PJD's picture

Actually, it looks like exactly the sort of practical, utilitarian (and hopefully inexpensive) kind of electric scooter we need more of.

Aircon

Actually, it looks like exactly the sort of practical, utilitarian (and hopefully inexpensive) kind of electric scooter we need more of.

CHF 6'895.00 .-

I think I like the idea of a belt drive too.

Kocho

Yes, both sides... and I think your diagnosis is correct. As you say, you can't really see it. MW

Well, I scraped my right side today too (for symmetry ;) ). Again, this happened during a correction in mid-turn, which compressed the suspension more than the turn itself normally does. I was hanging off my seat nicely during this turn as it was a nice smooth and wide turn on a wide empty road, but still scraped when I made it a bit tighter to stay in my lane... I guess I need to learn not to make such jerky corrections (and to slow down a bit!).

PJD
PJD's picture

CHF 6'895.00 .-

I think I like the idea of a belt drive too.

That's still almost twice the price of a comparable Vespa, unfortunately.

And I still like the simple Chinese hub motor concept - as long as it is driven by something other than a Kelly Controller.

Mik
Mik's picture

It is so abominably ugly I hardly dare tell - it is a vR one... Formerly known as Quantya vR one.

I reckon that looks quite all right.

Says "bullet proof simple straight forward engineering", but it might be a pack of lies. Just commenting on the first impression looks, I know nothing at all about these scooters. Are they electric? ;-)

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

R
R's picture

(and to slow down a bit!)

Sure! If you don't slow down,your posts may come to an abruptly stop soon...

I've just discovered the Meber list feature. It tells the last login of every member...
Many people had sold their Vectrix, and never post again in this forum.
I'm wondering if Turok now believes in Elvis...

turok last login 31 weeks 21 hours ago

And wait, where would be hanging around now these fantastic fleet of Marcopolo's Vectrixs???

marcopolo last login 1 year 24 weeks ago

PJD
PJD's picture

Mostly I recall that Marcopolo came here to spout neoliberal rich-guy economics and closely associated to it, global-warming denialism.

(lurker-bait)

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

(and to slow down a bit!)

Sure! If you don't slow down,your posts may come to an abruptly stop soon...

I've just discovered the Meber list feature. It tells the last login of every member...
Many people had sold their Vectrix, and never post again in this forum.
I'm wondering if Turok now believes in Elvis...

turok last login 31 weeks 21 hours ago

And wait, where would be hanging around now these fantastic fleet of Marcopolo's Vectrixs???

marcopolo last login 1 year 24 weeks ago

Not true for everybody, I am riding a Brammo since June and still read about Vectrix here because after 50.000 Kilometres, it has earned a place in my motorcycle heart!
My old Vectrix is on the road again, someone bought it for €750 so I hope it sees some more use.
It also shows you the resale value of a 5 year old bike with 50.000 on the clock...

By the way I have now 6500 kilometres on my Brammo Empulse and I love that bike already. It is a quantum leap coming off the Vectrix. And it seems bullet proof because no problems so far. And it has lean angles a Vectrix owner can only dream about :-)

But you guys must keep these Vectrix bikes rolling as they are too much fun to be scrapped!

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

israndy
israndy's picture

Well, it happened to me today for a first time: while taking a curve in the road (a left turn on an intersection) fairly briskly, the bottom of the foot peg scraped the road. Now I have a black dash on the underside where I used to have white paint...

I did this when I first got the bike in 2009. I actually picked the wheels up off the ground I was so deep in a turn. This is the first bike that I didn't have footpegs on hinges so when I turn too tight they make noise but no bad things. This time I thought I was gonna die, and instinctively turned the front wheel, which caught and picked me back up. It only lasted a fraction of a second, but it was exciting.

-Randy

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage