Vectrix DC/DC Converter

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
bennelson
bennelson's picture
Vectrix DC/DC Converter

Does anyone have detailed information about the DC to DC converter on the Vectrix?

It's such a dedicated, "Designed" vehicle, that I think it may not have a separate DC/DC at all, but simply be built in to the motor-controller or some other main component.

I've noticed that the tail and turn signals are 4V, NOT 12V, but that that headlamp is still a typical 12V bulb, although at only 35 watts.

I'm exploring the possibility of a custom body project for the Vectrix, which would likely mean using some modern typical 12V LED turn signals and tail light.
I would need 12V power for them. Where would I pull it from on the cycle, and how much current could I get?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

X Vectrix
Re: Vectrix DC/DC Converter

There is an off the shelf DC/DC under the MC PCB (Vicor VI-251-EV-S).
The indicators are not 4V per se. The indicators themselves are just LEDs which happens to have ~ a 4V drop across it. The LED is driven by a regulated current driver on the ICM in order to keep the intensity constant. If you just connected a 4V supply to the indicators w/o current limit you would burn up the LED.

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture

I'm exploring the possibility of a custom body project for the Vectrix, which would likely mean using some modern typical 12V LED turn signals and tail light.
I would need 12V power for them. Where would I pull it from on the cycle, and how much current could I get?
-Ben

I would suggest using a switching laptop power supply with a 12-14V output connected to the battery via the N/O switch contacts a 12V relay, with its coil connected to the wires on the rear of the glove box power outlet.
When the ignition is turned on, the relay would energise and turn on the laptop power supply which you would use to feed your rear lights etc.

The available current would obviously depend upon the stated output of the power supply being used.

The rear lighting feeds are not conventionally wired as several of the lights are wired in series with the front lights (Front and rear left hand indicators, front and rear right indicators, and the front side ight and rear licence plate light) instead of parallel.

The multiple LEDs in the rear lamp perform a dual function because they operate as both tail lights and brake lights, but according to the circuit diagram there are only two wires connected to it, so perhaps the brighter brake light is simply achieved by allowing higher current through the same feed wire.

Also, the brake, indicator and lighting switches connect directly to the Interface Control Module (ICM) which processes the input signals and then switches the required current to each of the lighting/indicator circuits. So the lights do not operate from a direct switched feed from the handlebar controls.

You might be able to use some low voltage relays instead of the indicator and Licence plate LEDs but they would need to be the right resistance to operate at the same current level as the existing LEDs. You would need to measure the current and the voltage drop across the LED to determine the exact requirement of the relay coils. But I suspect you might also see some form of visible warning on the dashboard similar to the flashing lights that occur when non-standard headlamp bulbs are fitted.

Wiring trailer lights to a vectrix would be an absolute nightmare of a job, so don't even think about fitting a towing hitch.

Alan

prensel

Just in case you need it:
with my little magic box (see other postings) i can tap into the CAN data stream and drive one or more relays based on indicator signals, headlamp signal, brake levers and such.

===================================
My contribution to EV in The Netherlands
- Novox C20
- Vectrix VX-1 Li+ my2009 #2791
- Vectrix VX-1 Li my2011 #3228
- CityEl Fact4 / Mini El Cabrio
- Th!nk PIV4 A266
- Th!nk City A306
- Tesla Model3 AWD

BLUESTREAK

HI PRENSL< CAN YOU GIVE MORE INFOMATION ABOUT THIS .

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage