Fixed my Kill Switch

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
israndy
israndy's picture
Fixed my Kill Switch

For years I have suffered from a weak kill switch. If I flip it to kill it is REALLY hard to get it back. I even went to a Vectrix shop and asked to have it fixed and they were clueless.

I recently just ordered the part from VectrixParts.com, today the replacement arrived. I was going to swap it but taking the switch apart made me realize I didn't wanna swap the whole piece, just the switch would be fine. This is what the switch looks like on the inside after removing the three phillips screws from the bottom:

Opened switch

I removed the wire from the new switch with soldering iron. I was going to solder it into my old switches place, but I found I was unable to remove the solder from the hole on the new switch.

So I took the switch apart and it looked like this:

Switch parts

I ended up reusing the black piece as the wires were still soldered on my bike. One spring goes below the copper conductor, one spring pushes the ball bearing into position. A pin on the white piece and black piece goes into the red piece. The spring under the copper will act like it is pushing the switch apart, but mounting the switch in the cover holds the switch together. Screw it down and then screw down the metal wire guide. Finally reattach to the handlebars and test. In my case I got a working kill switch for the first time ever! I did buy a 2007 in 2009, so it may have worked when new.

-Randy

BLUESTREAK
Re: Fixed my Kill Switch

Thanks "ISRANDY" for that info. it's good to know how to fix it from your post.

israndy
israndy's picture

I should have pointed out that if I had NOT had a replacement I could have still cleaned it and likely fixed it that way too. The dirt that gathers in the grease may have been a problem, the ball bearing has a dab on it. I use a pencil eraser to clean electrical contacts if that was the issue and just a general cleaner to remove all the years of road grime should have fixed the switch. I now have a spare if I have future issues, but I am all ready for my Expension Box addition now that I have a working Kill Switch.

-Randy

R
R's picture

thanks for sharing, I'll check mine...

Sacko

Thanks, gave me the encouragement to take mine apart.

The previous owner had taped the kill switch in the exact, and only positioned it worked in.

Unfortunately, my inquisitive 4 year old wondered what the big red switch done and moved it.

This was a 10 minute job, I just cleaned up the contacts with some fine wet and dry.

Works a treat!

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage