Feeler: Li-converted VX1 in NoVA

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
JimmyB
Feeler: Li-converted VX1 in NoVA

I'm likely to be moving house shortly and may not have space for my Vectrix. It's a 2008 VX1, converted (by me) as in this thread using CALB 40Ah LiFePO4 cells.

Mahoosive top box, low and normal height seats (low fitted), side and center stands. I'd probably throw in the CANbus adapter and Windows XP laptop to run it on.

Anyone interested?

martinwinlow
Re: Feeler: Li-converted VX1 in NoVA

Might be useful to let us know where you are...?

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

JimmyB

NoVA = Northern Virginia, Martin. 22046, for those who are interested. But I'm from your neck of the woods originally :)

PJD
PJD's picture

I live just 250 miles to your northwest, and I would have never known what "NoVA" was except I grew up there. It's nice to be out of that area.

What kind of condition are the cells in? Have you been storing it at the proper less than fully charged especially log periods of non-use? How are the CALB cells doing in cold weather?

I'd be interested if my Current would have a major breakdown. I am anticipating an expensive ($2200) pack replacement (GBS cells - nothing else will fit) if I am going to do any winter riding next season. What price are you asking?

JimmyB
Re: Feeler: Li-converted VX1 in Northern Virginia / DC area

Ah. Sorry. I don't think I'm able to go back and edit the title now :( I'd rather be 250 miles NW of here too ...

The only long period of non-use was a couple of months over this last winter. It was 'stored' with I guess around 50% charge - whatever's left after riding it to work and back. In I think February or March I disassembled the bike and charged each cell individually with a tenergy balancing charger - probably overkill but I wanted to check everything was as it should be.

I'm basically a fair-weather rider so if there's any danger of rain or snow the Vectrix stays in the garage. And if I'm feeling energetic I cycle to work. So on average I've probably been using it for my 20-mile round trip commute once or twice a week, sometimes more sometimes less. I haven't noticed any difference in performance / range in cold weather but I rarely ride it more than 25-30 miles on a charge, and don't have a cycleanalyst or anything so I can't confess to monitoring things scientifically.

I don't really have a price in mind, hence this is a 'feeler' to see what, if any level of interest there is. This thread is my first dipping-a-toe-in-the-water attempt at gauging interest. The cells themselves were $2,500 although Leaf-cell conversions are now rather more de rigeur and give slightly better range.

If I were desperate to sell it I'd throw it on Craigslist and hope for the best, but I'd far rather it went to someone on here who understands these bikes and their foibles rather than someone who doesn't know what they're getting into.

Cheers

James

boeingpilot

I'm interested. Just about to look at a bike with the NiMH batteries... figure by the time I convert it should just buy one done

Questions - mileage
Condition?
Range you've been getting

PM me with asking price?

Scott

2015 Tesla S90D
2009 Vectrix VX-1 Leaf Conversion
1983 Lambretta Lynx
1980 Vespa P200
2013 VW Jetta Hybrid (gone....)

JimmyB

PM on its way ... Bottom line is that I've been riding it more recently and hugely enjoying it, but long term I'm still unsure if I have room for it. Charger went bang last week so it's off the road while I track down a replacement. Not sure whether you've ridden a Vectrix yet but once it's back up and running you're welcome to drop by and take a look if only to decide whether you want one or not.

Cheers!

boeingpilot

Thanks for getting back to me! Since I can't post yet, I'll tag this to this thread.

I'm looking at a '08 with 38,000 miles running VX-1. Any thoughts from anyone on value? Bike is with a police department, and has been obviously taken care of.

Scott

2015 Tesla S90D
2009 Vectrix VX-1 Leaf Conversion
1983 Lambretta Lynx
1980 Vespa P200
2013 VW Jetta Hybrid (gone....)

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002