A (battery?) riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
X Vectrix
Re: A (battery?) riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Make sure the encoder is calibrated correctly.

Kocho

Wow, that does not sound good! Is it working fine above 139V but starts making these noises below that? 139V is a half-charged battery for an 18 module Leaf pack... Sorry, don't know what "HS hot" is...

Hall9000

Two years , ago i visited a dealer on Barcelona , before i bought my vectrix.The vectrix that was on sale , was doing the same sound-grinding noise.They said that the only thing that was functioning strange was the encoder.So i'm with Xvectrix.

It's not the battery , cause 139 volts it's fine.Could be the encoder that is interfering one phase with another.

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture
Re: HS Hot fault message

at the top of the hill the red light came on. Below 139v, it says "HS hot"

According to one of the Vectrix information sheets the "HS Hot" means that the motor controller Heat Sink is too Hot:

HotHS

Heat sink temperature higher than 110°C. This message appears together with the red temperature telltale.

To cool the motor controller heat sink, you have to reduce the speed. This will allow the MC fan to reduce the temperature.

Usually the cooling system on the MC is very efficient, so this error message is very rare. In the case that it appears often, it could mean you have a faulty reading on the motor controller [Motor controller Replacement - see Service Manual]

If David's suggestion of recalibrating the encoder doesn't help, check out R's post regarding the MC cooling fan being affected by a faulty encoder board.

If you can't hear the controller cooling fan speeding up under load, then you may still have a problem.

This post has some useful information regarding the encoder.

Hope this helps.

Alan

X Vectrix

Yeah I was saying "encoder" because of hot heat sink, didnt listen to audio. If the encoder is not set correctly the phase current is much higher for a given torque...so more heat. Bad fan can do it too.

ElectricLou
ElectricLou's picture

I had this exact same issue. Pull the motor covers off. Look for the wires for the encoder circuit board. You will find that the encoder wheel is rubbing against the wires and cutting through the insulation and feeding false information to the motor controller. It was very hard to see this was happening, the cut the encoder wheel made was very thin.

Good Luck,
Louie

kinchip

Thanks, guys.
Now that I think about it, my drives to and from work that have been problem-free have been cold morning and after dark cold evening rides. Today was the first daytime ride (warmer temp) I have done in a while. So I think the heating issue is likely the culprit and an encoder problem is starting to make sense, though what the underlying issue is remains uncertain.

It's going to be some time before I can tackle this but that's my next step. Look at the wires, check the fan, clean it out.

Really, thank you all for the help and support!

Drew
Drew's picture

...and calibrate the encoder! Ask if you don't know how to do it. Or you can find the details here on the forum. The HS Hot is clearly saying that something isn't right - energy is being incorrectly converted to make heat rather than motion!

Another neat trick to test for correct fan operation is to apply the brakes (whilst the bike is stationary, side stand up, GO indicator showing) and then roll the throttle on with the wheels locked. You should hear the fan cut in and ramp up to speed when the throttle is twisted. Don't do it for long though - a couple of seconds at most - just enough hear what is going on. You have effectively stalled the motor and so the m/c fan is just responding to the increase in current to try and overcome the stall.

Drew

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage