The motor controller overheating

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
yokneamcity
The motor controller overheating

Hello everybody!
I had a problem with the overheating of the controller.
I was driving as usual, and suddenly began to lose power scooter and lit the lamp temperature and HotHS message.
I touched the radiator and it was really very hot. Fan does not work
I turned off the ignition and turn it on again and then the fan running at full speed.
The fan runs until the temperature dropped to 40 degrees then stopped.
And so it was repeated several times.
I hear the fan runs at a full speed only during hard acceleration.

Kocho
Re: The motor controller overheating

Doesn't sound like this is your problem, but see this thread here: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/11377-motor-controller-fan-failure-while-driving#comment-61362

I've had the uP RSt error happen to me twice so far over about 4K miles. Stop, shut off, wait a moment, then start again and all fine.

My MC fan runs at any speed, harder when the bike is ridden harder and the MC is hotter. Runs at reduced speed (or I think sometimes turns off completely if the bike is cold) when stopped. What firmware are you running?

yokneamcity

For two years I have used these files here:
MC1014b and 40lion01.hex and original ICM FW. And it worked without problems.
Battery Fans installed and works all the time while driving. Maybe I had no problems with overheating of the controller because it also cools
by battery fan.
Two weeks ago, I made battery upgrade with Leaf cells. I install the new firmware for the Leaf cells (charger and MC and ICM FW ).
And I removed the battery fan. My problems are very similar to those that thread here: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/11377-motor-controller-fan-failure-while-driving#comment-61362
But I do not get uP RSt error error message.

Kocho

So, if I understand you correctly, if you stop and restart the bike your MC fan works and the temp. sensor also seems to work because the fans would stop when it is cool enough. But it does not work while riding, causing the controller to overheat? Sounds like a MC software problem, but I'm not sure why... 1014b is the OEM MC software with 62mph top speed version, right? Now with the Leaf conversion you probably have the later, 68mph or whatever custom version "team Laird" provided you. I'd start there - talk with the developers and make sure the MC software is the right version and check with others here who are using the same version and see if their fans work any different. I can't compare, since I am not using that MC software.

For two years I have used these files here:
MC1014b and 40lion01.hex and original ICM FW. And it worked without problems.
Battery Fans installed and works all the time while driving. Maybe I had no problems with overheating of the controller because it also cools
by battery fan.
Two weeks ago, I made battery upgrade with Leaf cells. I install the new firmware for the Leaf cells (charger and MC and ICM FW ).
And I removed the battery fan. My problems are very similar to those that thread here: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/11377-motor-controller-fan-failure-while-driving#comment-61362
But I do not get uP RSt error error message.

yokneamcity

Hi Kocho!
if you stop and restart the bike your MC fan works and the temp. sensor also seems to work because the fans would stop when it is cool enough. But it does not work while riding, causing the controller to overheat?
yes.

1014b is the OEM MC software with 62mph top speed version, right?
yes

I would also like to know how the battery cooling fan affects the controller cooling?

Vectrix99

I wonder if my "HS hot" is related to your problem, Yokneamcity.
I did also convert to Leaf cells before Christmas, and get this message. - But I get it like one minute after power-on, also without enabling bike.
So I don`t believe there is any heat, but power is reduced. After driving like 10-20 meters everything is fine, and I can drive far.
I believe this is mostly a problem at low temperatures. Did not get it at a warm day, like 5C. - Time will show.
Guess I could have done some damage through conversion, but hope this also might be some kind of software issue...?

My Runke charger was updated with new mainboard, and I did some soldering, to fix "can bus noise issue".
Software is: BC: LiMn36-1. MC 2042-04. ICM: DIY 1708: BMS: BMS R64. It still does 110 Km/h.

Vectrix99

My problem is solved. XVectrix answered in my thread: - Really Good, hope your problem is also related to SW.

"This is a SW bug. When it is really cold the thermal sensor underflows and it appears as a very high positive value to the SW. I was riding in 10 deg F weather the other day and the bike was bucking for 20 or 30 seconds till the heatsink warned up a little."

yokneamcity

It seems that I have another problem. The fan rotates only under hard acceleration. I tried to return the original MC firmware in the Motor controller and it crashed in the process of installation.
Today I will finish replacing the controller and check again.

Hall9000

Hi yokneamcity , i have red in the past , a post where you convert your vectrix to A123 systems , with the 20ah pouch cell.I think that you have used the grade B , C cells from OSNpower or Victpower.What happened to this conversion , wich is the reliability of that conversion.Can you share your experiences , and the fact that you are now considering leaf cells instead of A123 systems..?

yokneamcity

Hi yokneamcity , i have red in the past , a post where you convert your vectrix to A123 systems , with the 20ah pouch cell.I think that you have used the grade B , C cells from OSNpower or Victpower.What happened to this conversion , wich is the reliability of that conversion.Can you share your experiences , and the fact that you are now considering leaf cells instead of A123 systems..?

Hi Hall900!
-The maximum mileage with a123 conversion was about 50 km. The cells were used and had 17-18 A/H instead 20 A/H. Now the battery is in the pantry

I bought the used Leaf/Fluence cells from very cheap. This gives me 80 kilometers milerage.

Jonathanm

2016-01-23 18.04.47.jpg

Thought I'd upload this photo - changed this over the weekend - pretty straight forward actually....This one had 55,000 km so a pretty good effort... We are going to bin it unless anybody wants it...

Jonathan

R
R's picture

Don't bind it, the IGBTs, the DC-dc and the daughter board may be ok, they can be used to repair other MC. Are you in Europe?

hybride

Hi Jonathan,

I am interested. I'll send you PM.

Jonathanm

Yes I am in Europe - I am happy to help whoever wants it...Hybride is working with the Lairds software and we have all benefited from that - so normal to put something back...

R
R's picture

Hybride is working with the Lairds software and we have all benefited from that - so normal to put something back...

Sure! hybrid is doing a extraordinary task for the vectrix community!I'll be very Glad if he gets the MC!
Zevpilot

Hi my 2007 VX1 with Leaf batteries is overheating after 20kms of riding and giving HS hot error. Then power drops and throttle becomes erratic. Can anyone help with this error?

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage