UPDATE on Site Performance - cause determined - hosting company will change some things

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Webmaster
Webmaster's picture
UPDATE on Site Performance - cause determined - hosting company will change some things

I recently noted that VisForVoltage performance had fallen off considerably. I've discovered the cause.

On May 25, Dreamhost had moved part of my account -- and fixed things to that the database server was in Portland, while the VPS server running VisForVoltage (and LongTailPipe) is in Virginia. That's precisely when the performance problem landed on us.

Dreamhost is supposed to move things this weekend so that the database and VPS are in the same data center. That should happen tonight (Saturday) sometime between 9pm and 3am PDT.

Once the two are in the same data center, performance should return to what it was before May 24.

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture
Re: UPDATE on Site Performance - cause determined - hosting ...

It's seems much quicker than yesterday, and is able to find the linked pages now, but it is still very slow and taking at least 15 seconds to open linked pages on the site or preview comments prior to posting.

At least it is now bearable instead of almost unuseable.
//i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz44/GoldenMotor/emoticons/3_small.gif)

Before, I had to open several links in multiple new tabs so I could come back again a few minutes later and instantly switch between each of the new posts without the huge delays in between (it was taking well over a minute, and that was when the linked pages were still being found).

Let's hope it will speed up a bit more as things settle down again once everything (not just this site) has been completely uploaded to the new server.

Alan

Webmaster
Webmaster's picture
Re: UPDATE on Site Performance - cause determined - hosting ...

I was informed the move attempt "failed" and that they'll try again in a couple days. At this point I don't know when.

- David Herron, http://longtailpipe.com/

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage