Upgrade Puma suspension

8 replies [Last post]
Ka252

Has anyone thought of upgrading the suspension of the Puma?
Mine is terrible and don't handle rough roads very well. The

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
MEroller
MEroller's picture
Re: Upgrade Puma suspension

"The" what please? Your post seems to be incomplete...

My rides:
QvR vR one: a Swiss package of pure understatement - innocent and to some eyes (from some angles) exceedingly ugly looks, but with raw and hardly containable electron power up to real 95 to 100km/h! And a literally rock-hard suspension due to a carrying capacity of twice it's unladen weight... Now converted to more controllable and efficient brushless motor and vector-contoller.

E-Sprit Fury (basis is the Erider Thunder 5000) since May 03, 2011. Highly moded - but now in active retirement

Ka252

Sorry, that was a mistake. There is nothing more to it. The suspension sucks.

MEroller
MEroller's picture

At least thanks for filling us in on the continuation of "The" :-)
So you think the suspension is too hard? I would have thought the front forks are too weak for such a big and heavy ride, they are already undersized for the smaller brother "Thunder"...
Or do you mean the jolts that the heavy hub motor delivers to your behind every time the rear suspension tries to slow it down on its way up?

My rides:
QvR vR one: a Swiss package of pure understatement - innocent and to some eyes (from some angles) exceedingly ugly looks, but with raw and hardly containable electron power up to real 95 to 100km/h! And a literally rock-hard suspension due to a carrying capacity of twice it's unladen weight... Now converted to more controllable and efficient brushless motor and vector-contoller.

E-Sprit Fury (basis is the Erider Thunder 5000) since May 03, 2011. Highly moded - but now in active retirement

Ka252

When I compare it to my old Suzuki GSX, it is like day and night. The Puma front suspension maybe not is hard, but when you push on it, it is first stuck and then releases.
So when I run over bums, it smacks hard in the while bike.
The same with the rear suspension. It also sticks at first. I believe the rear shock is a gas shock, so no way to change oil.

MEroller
MEroller's picture

My Thunder has no shock sticking issues, but my Swiss vR one does at the front, so I know what you are talking about. I wonder if it is due to some misalignemnt, i.e. incorrect spacers between front wheel and fork that pull the shocks together or push them apart?

My rides:

Ka252

Actually, there is a misalignment. I have noticed when I change the front wheel that the fork is 1 cm too tight, so that I have to bend it apart.
I wonder if it is possible to change this angle somehow.

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Just use thinner spacers on the front axle between wheel and forks.

My rides:

Ka252

Yes, that is probably easiest. I'll try that.
The rear shocks however I will have to find a solution for.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

style="display:block"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2401070691062219"
data-ad-slot="2079401426"
data-ad-format="auto">

Revenge of the Electric Car The electric car is not only back from the dead, it's inevitable

Who's new

• iserverdiscount
  • mcent
  • vwir
  • Monstarr
  • PowerPuller
Customize This