Range query

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
simonjrwinter
Range query

Right, back on the road with replacement charger now. Range states 37 miles. After riding 5 miles, range has dropped to 32 miles...so far so good,
In the next mile it goes to 28-12-5 and 1 mile al the while losing power while I limp home. Is this an indication my batteries are duff or do I need to keep charging-riding to bring the range up?
Simon

simonjrwinter
Re: Range query

One other thing. The red battery light flashed on once but even when I was creeping home flat out at 5 mph and the battery was obviously exhausted, the red light didn't illuminate again......normal?
Simon

BLUESTREAK

Get rid of those cells and go with (LEAF) CELLS.

simonjrwinter

Oh, and it only charges for an hour and a half. I'm guessing that's not a full charge......?

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture

An hour and a half is definitely not a full charge for a completely flat battery, as 90 minutes at a continuous 12-14 Amps would only replace 18 to 21 Ah of battery capacity

What were the voltage readings at the start and the end of the charge?

Presumably you're still using the original Vectrix firmware that apparently kills the battery?

Is the replacement charger a gold Runke or silver ESD charger, and do you have the CANbus lead to change the charger's firmware?

Alan

simonjrwinter

Hi Alan
It's a gold charger (2nd hand after first broke) not sure of the software on it.
At the start of charge it's about 122v and at the end 146v......is that ok/normal?
Simon

simonjrwinter

Have just done 9.4 miles on a charge

simonjrwinter

Have just done 9.4 miles on a charge

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture

The voltage range is probably OK but the capacity of the battery is obviously a lot lower than the original 30Ah.

Mine probably drops from 144V to around 130V over a similar distance on hilly terrain, and my battery is over 10 years old and was starting to overheat when it was being charged with the original Vectrix charger firmware.

As yours only took 90 mins to charge, it is unlikely to have carried out the periodic balancing trickle charge.
You can give it a few more charging cycles and see if the charge time increases (and hopefully the range will increase too), but I suspect the battery's cells are well passed their best and some may need to be replaced.

Alan

simonjrwinter

Another ride showed about 9.5 miles last night as well. looks like this may be all I'm going to get.....
Turned the bike on this morning (after charging yesterday evening) and the voltage has dropped already to 141 volts.

israndy
israndy's picture

Get rid of those cells and go with (LEAF) CELLS.

I am getting ready to do one of my bikes, but I haven't seen any cells out there. I did watch the video by Ben Nelson, he just happened upon a wrecked Leaf and went and got the whole kit&caboodle. Not owning a pickup that would be extreme. Anyone have a whole pack they wanna split with someone in NorCal? Or have people found wrecked packs and taken them apart at the wrecking yard? I guess I could rent a trailer.

I have seen places that charge money to search wrecking yards for things you need, but I have NEVER gotten a result for the things I am looking for, seems like a rip-off. How do others do it? Just call every yard near you? Where do you find a list?

-Randy

LeftieBiker

I think that Kocho found Leaf cells from a place called...something like hybridauto.com? They were selling what I believe were new Leaf cells. Isn't there a topic here on his conversion of what is now my bike?

EDIT: I think this is it:

http://evbatterycenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=93&name=vectrix-lithium-conversion-9kwh-battery-pack-136v-64ah-18-2014-15-nissan-leaf-modules&Itemid=605

boeingpilot

Hybrid auto is good, if pricey. Also there is a company that lists regularly on eBay. That's where I got mine

2015 Tesla S90D
2009 Vectrix VX-1 Leaf Conversion
1983 Lambretta Lynx
1980 Vespa P200
2013 VW Jetta Hybrid (gone....)

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot