emax chargers

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Measton
emax chargers

I have 3 chargers. 2 have died. Are there any common easy fix problems that have occ with these? Are there any compatable replacement chargers?

Thanks

PJD
PJD's picture
Re: emax chargers

Ninety percent of the time, the e-max chargers can be easily fixed assuming you have just a little bit of electronic soldering skills. I covered fixing the e-max charger in this post:

http://visforvoltage.org/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/867-e-max-charger-fxing-it-and-making-it-reliable

Since posting it, I have found that in addition to the the inrush suppressor, the pair of big rectifier filter capacitors should almost always be replaced as well. Look for any sign of bulging of their tops. With the bad-quality capacitors and inrush suppressors replaced and the cooling improvements, the e-max chargers become quite reliable.

In less common cases - when you get a red indicator light but it won't run (and you've checked that 10A fuse) the problem is in the logic board and nothing can be done.

If you don't want to do it yourself I have fixed e-max chargers for several users of this board for $25 each including return shipping. Send me a a PM if you are interested.

As far as replacing the chargers, any 48-volt charger for sealed lead acid batteries will work. If you re-rig the e-max battery pack into pairs in series (with battery balancers too of course) you could also install four 12 volt chargers - one for each battery pair. Compact versions might even fit on-board. Either way the charger needs to be about 8 amps to get the same charging time as the e-max charger. I've bought chargers from here with good results: http://www.batterystuff.com/

GrooveConnection

Yep I~m joining the ranks with all of you E-MAX owners - I fixed 2 of my chargers with the better Inrush Suppressors and recently charged the E-MAX while the sun was still up (god forbid) and poww- charger dead again - hopefully only the same darn thing which can be fixed easily....

Good luck to everybody and don~t give up! I'm at 1800 km~s now!

PJD
PJD's picture

Is the red light on when plugged in?

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76