XB-600 Questions

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
gushar
XB-600 Questions

I must admit I really didn't know what to put in the subject line here...

I just wanted to first state that I am extremely impressed with the knowledge that some of you have regarding electric vehicles...well the scooters we're all riding (extreme XM2000, etc.) I am amazed at how much you all know as well as the extent to which you all (and you know who you are...usatracy, jd???, etc.) go to figure these machines out! I really have learned alot from what you post so please keep on posting!

Also, I appreciate the posts from "mountain chen" who apparently is integral in at least the export of these scooters from China. It's great to actually hear from someone who is at the other side of these innovative products.

Now, finally, what I hope is that maybe we could get some info posted for those of us who have other than the XM2000....the xtreme XBs...myself having the XB600. I know you all probably think those should be in the bicycle section...but to me my XB600 is a "scooter." But anyway....

I must say thus far I'm still very pleased with my XB600. I'd like however to know ideas on how to make the seat go all the way down tighter. There is apparently no adjustment on the latching mechanism mounted to the frame. Guess I could file out the holes and make some??? The seat is tight when you have your weight on it...except the back is still loose a bit so this isn't a big problem if I don't get it fixed. But, I'd like to tighten it up a bit and maybe some of you have ideas.

Oh, almost forgot this story. A few weeks ago I'm riding my scooter and I see down the street another one go by with two kids (college students) on it. I chase it down and lo and behold the one kid just got his XB500 put together enough for him and his girlfriend to try it out. What a sight though! The handlebars were severely out of alignment and other stuff was not right. Don't know how they were riding it! So anyway, I told them I had several eclectric scoots and could help them get everything right if they wanted to stop by my house sometime...I'd be glad to "fix" their problems. I just couldn't let these kids be riding around with way low air in tires...handlebar way crooked, etc. The kid that owned it brought it over a couple of days later and I spent 3 hours "fixing" everything. First, apparently unlike my XB600 (I seem to recall it's just welded to the down shaft), the handlebars actually have a vertical bolt in them like many bicycles so you can loosen it and adjust them to be aligned correctly with the front wheel. I corrected this on the 500. Then, the very opposite problem from my 600 on the seat. It was way difficult to get it to lock. I fixed this though by stretching the spring on the latching mechanism a bit...and worked great. I then removed all the goo that was left where the owner decided to remove the stickers...used carb cleaner once I tested it in hidden area to make sure it wouldn't remove or melt the plastic. And then I aired the tires up to the proper inflation. Then I had to wrestle with the front lower fender piece trying to get it to clear the tire when installed. Seeing that it just wasn't going to do that for whatever reason...I put a couple of washers (nuts) in between the two front mounting screws on the upper part of the fender housing where it mounts to the forks...thereby causing the entire fender to "tilt" a bit backward which made it fit perfect without rubbing the front of the wheel. Also, the kid apparently lost the small axle spacer when he was installing the front tire...so i cut one from a piece of pipe I had and fixed that. And I just did a few other things like put some velcro tabs on the carpet so it wouldn't slide around, etc. Anyway, the kid was appreciative and I'm glad could help him out. And I know that's the same spirit of you guys on here and again I as well am appreciative.

And last but not least...don't know where all the criticism I've read about the XB500 comes from. It looks good...and the ride was pretty good to. It's a bit slower than my 600 and but certainly worth the $599 price. The only thing I couldn't fix was the fact that if that kid (I told him) had ran into me before ordering I could have directed him to ArticFox and he would have gotten the best customer service...and maybe even saved the extra $70 he paid for driveway delivery!

But other than that...things are fine thus far...but I'd really like to understand as much as possible about my XB600 like what exactly is happening with the front brake when applied....to the rear wheel. I'm wondering if the design is switching the polarity in the motor so it puts drag on the rear wheel as well as just mechanically stopping the front wheel. It's doing something and I like the action. Makes for excellent braking. I'm just very curious of what it is actually doing on that motor???

Anyway, keep on posting guys....I for one really appreciate the knowledge and help you all provide!

Much thanks,
Gushar

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: XB-600 Questions

Hi Gushar,

Unfortunately neither I nor usatracy have access to an XB-600 (or any XB model). If we had one we'd definitely have taken it apart a few times by now ;-) However without one to play with our chances to give you advice are much smaller.

As far as your last question - here's an idea: put the bike on the center stand with the side stand up. Twist the throttle so the wheel spins. Let go of the throttle and watch the wheel coast to a stop. Now repeat, but instead of coasting to a stop pull on the front braek and see if the wheel slows or even stops dead much more quickly.

Yes? OK then the front brake is definitely affecting the rear wheel and unless there's some form of mechanical linkage (which I highly doubt) then you're right - it has to be coming from the motor. This is significantly different from the XM (on our bikes the controller switches off power to the motor but that's all). What you have is at least the basis of regen braking. The motor is switched from being a motor to being a generator and that causes the drag. That work is being converted back into electricity which can be used to charge the batteries. However, there's no guarantees that they're "harvesting" that power - but I can't imagine they'd go to all that trouble just to give you a better (more balanced) braking experience.

I don't know if Mountain Chen has any experience of the XBs?

John H.
Blue XM-2000
Ann Arbor, MI
http://www.revevllc.com - Authorized X-Treme dealer

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Stleride
Stleride's picture

`gushar,
Welcome to the V is for Voltage Community, if you don't mind we changed the subject for you, to one that should generate more replies.
I believe there not currently that many XB-600 threads here, but we will be happy to set up a XB-600 Electric Scooters Up to 750 Watts Collaborative Hand Books in our V is for Voltage Community Library.
Currently we only have copies of the X-Treme User Manual Model:X-560 and X-Treme User Manual Model:Xp-700 in our growing EV DownLoad Library sp if you have a copy of the XB-600 you can share we would appreciate it.

Stleride
Moderator Team Captain

Moderators are dedicated volunteer V Team members who help keep your V Forums running smoothly and provide Forum Support.

`

Stleride
Moderator Team Captain

Moderators are members of our very dedicated community volunteer <a href="http://visforvoltage.net/page/106-our-community-volunteers">V Team</a> who help keep our <a href="http://visforvoltage.net/page/251-poli

gushar

Yeah...should have realized that you guys have the XM2000 so that's a good reason that you know much more about it. I already did that (up on centerstand, etc.) when I first realized something besides mechanical braking was going on. It's definitely stopping the back wheel. I could tell even before though even when riding it and putting the front brake on...I could feel it in the "seat of my pants" so to speak...that the back wheel was creating resistance. However, I can reach down and still turn the wheel but it takes alot of force to do that. It's holding it pretty good.

This reminds me of another thing I'm still curious about and course I realize you guys not having one are at a disadvantage but maybe you have a guess. That is...why they have "reverse capability" on the xtreme ad for the XB600. Maybe they mean exactly that "capable of" cause there's no switch for that...although why in the world would you need or want it?

Gushar

Gus

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

Quote: why they have "reverse capability" on the xtreme ad for the XB600

I remember you mentioned that a while back. It used to say it on their "exploded view" image. I erased that myself on my site and I guess X-Treme finally followed; I can't find that anymore.

www.BaseStationZero.com - An Authorized Retailer for X-treme Scooters, BigToys, ScooterX & Waldeck Jewelers -

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

spike

GUSHAR- i have a xb508 it brakes the same way i think its regen i was riding it the batterie level was i yellow i hit front brake the gage jumped up to green whats your top speed my top speed is 25mph

gushar

My top speed on the flats is maybe 23mph. Are you going by your stock speedo? I use a bike computer on mine that I believe is much more accurate than the stock speedo. Of course for some reason I believe the 508 has more amps even though the 600 has the bigger motor. So the 508 may actually be a tad faster. Hmmmmmm....

Here's another question I have...I really don't know what kind of range my 600 has and I'd like to hear from any other 600 owner about this. I haven't ridden more than about 5-7 miles between charges and I've only seen the bat indicator drop maybe the very slightest bit. There's no yellow indicator like the 508. Trying to recall from memory but I seem to recall that the indicator line is blue all the way to the low end with just a short red line there. But I've never seen mine fall but just the slightest bit...I mean less than an 1/8 inch on that scale. Maybe it's not working right. (But then I've never sensed any loss of power, etc.) I'll have to test since xtreme has sent me a new guage set cause I put in a ticket when I got it since the speedo would stick at 5mph rather than go all the way back down at stop. Didn't really matter to me since I use a bike computer on it...but thought I'd ask for one anyway. And, they sent it!

Gushar

Gus

gushar

Wow I just read my original post here and how confusing the way I jumped around! Sorry guys...I was in a hurry and didn't read it prior to posting. It has absolutely no continuity!

Gushar

Gus

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Continuity is for wimps ;-)

My guess is that your gauge is working fine. The usual pattern is that it won't budge much at first and then it starts to swing around a lot more. This is because it's a volt meter and the voltage sag over time is not linear - it has a fairly pronounced "knee" - so when you get past the knee you see really big drops. It "swings" because under no load (i.e. throttle closed) the voltage comes straight back up to the "full" reading - it then sags again as soon as you open the throttle (and create load).

Hope that helps explain the way the meter works. So you can't read it like a fuel gauge. 1/8th from the top does not mean 7/8ths remaining. You need to have a fancy "state of charge" meter which "knows" the discharge curve for your battery chemistry to get a "fuel meter" like gauge.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

gushar

Yeah..I know what you are saying. I have another smaller 36v scooter. And I've had a 12v and a 24v. In the 24 and 36v models the bat gauge begins to drop with throttle on until it gets into the "yellow" or mid-range on the gauge...then a bit closer to red...then drops really fast into red. But on my 600 that needle has hardly ever come the slightest bit off of the very top end. I know it's working somehow because when on the throttle going up a hill it moves just ever so slightly down...but it is the slightest. I just expect it at some point to begin dipping into the midrange on the gauge...and then begin abruptly falling...just as I've experienced with the other scooters. Or maybe it's just I haven't ridden far enough, long enough. After all if I learned correctly on here...and if the battery specs are correct from xtreme...4 24ah batts...then that's 96ah and that would mean a 48 max amp draw for about 2 hours of battery time. That would be alot of miles on relatively flat riding wouldn't it???

Maybe I just need to pick a time when I can just ride this thing about 30 miles and see what happens! I have a good bike computer on it so I can tell my distance.

Gushar

Gus

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

4 24ah batts...then that's 96ah

Nope, I'm afraid not. Your batteries are in series (positive to negative connections), when adding batteries in series the volts add up the amp hours remain the same. So you have a 48V 24Ah pack.

If the batteries were in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative connections) the reverse is true volts stay the same amp hours add up. So then you would have a 12V 96 Ah pack - unfortunately that wouldn't give you enough RPMs to go anywhere.

I agree with the other part - you just need to go for a long ride...

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage