Autocad Discussion

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
echuckj5
echuckj5's picture
Autocad Discussion

I used to get all kinds of beeps and glitches when I was typing on this forum, Chas helped me out, fixed it. Had trouble adding pics, Chas and Stleride fixed it. I could'nt post cad images, took me awhile, MB-1e, (airborne) wait to you see this,

BIKE_JACK_SHAFT_jpeg.jpg

chuck

MB-1-E
MB-1-E's picture
Re: Autocad Discussion

Hey,
Nice job how did you get the lines to show up dark like that ...?
What type of graphic did you export to (jpg bmp ?)or is that a PDF, a web image ...
tell me more Chuck.

G :) :) D ... J :) B

Dave B

MB-1-E
<a href="http://visforvoltage.org/book-page/996-mountain-bike-conversion-24v-3-4h... - Bridgestone MB-1 Mountain Bike</a>

echuckj5
echuckj5's picture
Re: Autocad Discussion

MB-1E

To get the lines dark, I have to make the drawing scale 1 to 1. Then I export from turbocad as a dxf. I use infraview, just like you told me. I had to go to infaviews' site, downloaded their cad image converter. After several unsuccessful attempts, I went into the original self extracting zip. I read the "read me" file, followed the instructions on unzipping, linked the extracted files correctly.

Works like a charm, just had to "read the instructions."

Jackshaft_Bracket.jpg

Jack shaft is done, that is the first drawing, friend of mine is a machinist, took him a year to make it. Now, I was going to make that plate above, need to dimension it, My friend said he would make it, probably take him another year.

chuck

[b]AGM BATTERIES[/b]

MB-1-E
MB-1-E's picture
Re: CAD Discussion

Nice rotating plate Chuck.
Dimensioning shouldn't be too hard, just reference bolt centers and radii, and angles off vertical or horizontal.
I'd rotate the plate so that the pivot bolt and the fixed bolt array are on the horizontal axis then go from there.
But there's more than one way to do it.

Just a thought.

Nice work!

Dave

Might want to call this post just "CAD Discussion" since it deals with, perhaps, more than one CAD program and keeps from having to deal with AutoCADĀ®. Autodesk, Inc. is one of the more aggressive corporations when it comes to Trademark infringement, misuse ... whatever. Just a suggestion.
Talk about sticklers ... http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=924623
Cheese, they write a manual just on how they want their AutoCADĀ® software used in a sentence, they're something else IMO ... wouldn't want to misues our "verb forms" now would we :)

Dave B

MB-1-E
<a href="http://visforvoltage.org/book-page/996-mountain-bike-conversion-24v-3-4h... - Bridgestone MB-1 Mountain Bike</a>

echuckj5
echuckj5's picture
Re: cad Discussion

Dave,

One regret I have always had, I never took drafting. Yet, when I bring my drawings to machine shops, the machinist's usually complement me. This plate is tough to dimension. Thinking from the machinist point of view. Even though it is a simple part.

Probably just make the bracket myself. I have a Rotex vertical mill, made in the late fifties I believe. I have both a rotary and an indexing base. Should post a picture of it. Interesting tool. Don't use it, much. Nice to have. Made some stuff with it, has more than paid for itself.

I will build another bike, scrap the rack concept, do it like Mr. Peltzer. I still have'nt figured out how you freewheel on the motor side. I could dig around in my Dad's stuff, find an overrunning clutch or a sprague clutch. I think that freewheeling probably adds a mile or two.

Talking of old tools. My Dad has a machine from the 30's, a behomoth, at least a ton and a half, will roll steel into rings, round, square, flat, bar, I beams. He bought it for scrap about 15 years ago, all gear driven, we replaced all the bronze bushings, put a 220 volt motor on it, had a 3 phase 330 volt motor. That motor looked original. Still worked. Thought my engine hoist could lift that motor, ,,,. after awhile Dad came along and suggested I use his old 1960 model fork lift on that chunk of copper. Now, working on that forklift, sometimes you just have to call in the experts.

I have a fondness for old tools, and the old way of doing things. Looking for a metal lathe, most of the old ones are pretty beat up, I'll find one though, someday.

chuck

[b]AGM BATTERIES[/b]

MB-1-E
MB-1-E's picture
Re: cad Discussion

I never took drafting. Yet, when I bring my drawings to machine shops, the machinist's usually complement me

That's because you look at it from the machinist's perspective Chuck.
I always do two things, beyond the routine checks, when drafting anything.
1) I ask myself, "Could I make this from this drawing?" (Whether it's Mechanical, Architectural, Civil etc)
2) I turn the drawing upside down (180 deg) and look it over, more than once I've caught a mistake by doing this.

Dave B

MB-1-E

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage