Voltage regulator

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
daniel828
Voltage regulator

Hi everybody. I haven't posted since the old wbsite, but anyway I've put together and bottom bracket powered bicycle using a 36 volt unite gearmotor I salvaged off my mongoose (currie) bike. It's connected to a Shmano Nexus 3 speed hub powered by DeWalt (2) 36 volt batteries in parallel. For developing reasons I'm using a solenoid for a controller to test if everything would work and it does. Today I hooked the batt. in series and WOW but the solenoid weleded shut.So what I'm thinking, is there a voltage regulator that will alow me to run the batt. in series producing 66 volts but step down to 48 volts so I can run a proper speed control and turn the wick up a little on that unite motor?I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance. Dan

Fechter
Fechter's picture
Re: Voltage regulator

You really need a motor speed controller made for 66v. A controller works just like a voltage regulator, but is really made for running a motor. You can get a pretty cheap brushed motor controller from TNC scooters. I'm not sure if they have any rated for 66v, but most of them could be modified to run higher.

At that voltage, the motor is going to get really hot. Even if you limit the current, just spinning that fast is going to generate quite a bit more heat than 36v.

An actual dc-dc converter big enough to run a motor is going to be very large and expensive.

daniel828
Re: Voltage regulator

What I'm trying to do is put a volage regulator in between the battery packs and a 48 volt motor controller.
The batteries are at the least 33v, or hooked in series 66v, 99v etc. I like the dewalt system and want to keep using them.So, for example I can run two packs in series for 66 volts, step down or even vary the voltage to 48 volts or so,the operating voltage of the speed controller I want to use.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage