Vectrix Owners - New & Prospective

272 posts / 0 new
Last post
DaveD
DaveD's picture
Re: Vectrix Owners - New & Prospective

Thanks for dropping in, Simon.

Sales are looking a bit better for Vectrix, by some accounts: Vectrix sales get their scoot on, more affordable model coming next year. Certainly not out of the woods and smooth sailing by any means, but there are signs of growing consumer awareness and interest. Here in the States, the increasing oil/gasoline/diesel prices have started to open the eyes of people to the issue of energy.

I park my Vectrix next to my colleague's 2002 R1100RT every day at work. A fine vehicle, and he's quite happy with it. I've heard about the C1 and seen pictures of it; it seems like a fun motorcycle to ride.

Buzby
Buzby's picture

I live right next to a BMW garage and awaited the arrival of the C1 with money ready. There was the useful diversion when someone was contesting the requirement to wear a helmet, and my dealer was always saying there were niggles with the production models then needed ironing out.

When I eventually tried it, I quickly forgot the BMW pedigree in bikes, as this was an uncomfortable and based on my windy locality, too much of a risk to contemplate. I enojy being the odd one out, so I didn't care about the strange looks, but I live in a wide valley that inevitably has strong cross winds that cannot be foreseen, and on my test ride(s) I found the machine difficult to control and under-powered. Add to this the general disinterest by BMW when they found it didn't fly off the shelves showed contempt for those who DID have faith in it.

I don't see this with Vectrix - its a radical machine, but not THAT radical, so it's not the same leap of faith the C1 is (was). I have to say that comparing the VX1 to my other machine, a Piaggio X9 500 is easy, as the weight, size and comfort are almost identical - and whilst I might not get 180 miles of a full tank, the cost savings are still noticeable!

- Raymond

Wotnopetrol

Hello Dave,

Yes, the C1 is a hoot to ride and still makes me smile EVERY time I get "in" it, especially when it's raining or even in the summer when I'm riding cool and comfortable in a T shirt and normal clothes, which you can do due to the C1's amazing safety cell, seatbelts and other safety features.

Nice to hear the Vectrix popularity may be on the up. If it takes off in the US, we shouldn't have too many problems with spares etc, as the customer base is so much larger than here and the company will hopefully be more secure.

I have always found we Brits to be a little bit resistant to change and new things, which may be one of the reasons I have only seen one Vectrix "in the wild" around my work place.
The C1 was never really accepted in the UK, the difference in how I get treated on the road by other bikers when in the C1 and when on the RT is astounding! I'm surprised the Vectrix has not really taken off in Europe, as they embraced the C1 with open arms, especially in France.

Though fuel is quite pricey everywhere at present, my C1 does 90 mpg so that's obviously pretty good, but it's the £450 of annual servicing costs I want to avoid, and it will only get worse as its expensive parts start to need replacement.

The Vectrix concept, the more I think about it, the more I realise what you DON'T need to replace periodically. Exhausts, chains, cogs, belts oils, and on and on. Marvelous, I'm just about sold on it. Please don't go out of business.

Simon.

Simon

Wotnopetrol

Raymond, Hi,

Yes, a leap of faith indeed, I'm still smiling over that comment.

It really irritated me the way I was treated by BMW mechanics and the derisive comments they used to make when I took it in to be serviced. They were really not pleased to see me.

I take it now to a family run "hole in the wall" garage. They love them and even have a couple themselves. They can't see what the problem was with working on them, in their words, "It's only a scooter after all!"

Yes the C1 is a little hairy in crosswinds but that's not too much of a problem in the city of course.

Well here at Canary Wharf in London, they quite regularly bring the Vectrix along for people to try out, but if they don't have a try ride soon I shall be looking for a place in the south East to borrow one for a test drive.
The only one I ever saw on the open road, out accelerated me on the C1 easily and my C1-200, as opposed to the C1-125, isn't too bad up to 30-40 mph, but the Vectrix just seemed to keep on going with no decrease in acceleration at all, oh, and that wonderful sound it made. Nice, very SciFi!

Simon

Simon

Buzby
Buzby's picture

What you say is true - the Vectrix can hold it's acceleration when it needs a fast start, and that's important when you filter to the head of a line of cars and there's always one who resents it and want's to prove something!

That said, having seen what such nippy acceleration does to my distance - each 'speedy take off means the loss of 1 or 2 miles of 'normal' riding) I let them get on with it, knowing mow much it's costing me, and how much it costs them!

Vectrix arranged a test ride for me up in Scotland last October with no pressure to buy. By May I gave up trying to talk myself out of it and joined the club. It's still one of the better decisions I've made this year. Use the Vectrix website and ask for a test ride, they're happy to oblige themselves or put you on to a local dealer if there is one closer to you.

I'll guarantee you'll enjoy it - right down to the handy 12v accessory socket in the glove compartment! Also check out the cool 3-wheeler...

- Raymond

DJP

I live in Weston north Hertfordshire and a few weeks ago I heard a Vectrix go past my house late at night, I wondered what on earth it was! Now I have one and there must be another somewhere near but I've not seen it. 1000 fun miles so far, the only fault I have found is that on two occasions when pulling away after waiting at a junction, the "Ready" and "Go" indicators disapear and the bike stops. I then have to switch off and start again in the usual way. Has anyone else had this problem?

Mik
Mik's picture

I live in Weston north Hertfordshire and a few weeks ago I heard a Vectrix go past my house late at night, I wondered what on earth it was! Now I have one and there must be another somewhere near but I've not seen it. 1000 fun miles so far, the only fault I have found is that on two occasions when pulling away after waiting at a junction, the "Ready" and "Go" indicators disapear and the bike stops. I then have to switch off and start again in the usual way. Has anyone else had this problem?

No, never heard of that problem before.

I often feel a bit sorry for the neighbors due to the noise. Some Vectrixes are a lot louder than many cars.

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

siai47

You have something going on with your Vectrix. The only way to get out of the "go" mode with the key on is to put the sidestand down or push the stop button. In either case, when the sidestand is back up and/or the stop switch is reset, the "ready" indicator should be on. There should be no need to re-boot to get the "ready" indicator back on. You still need to cycle the brake levers to get the "go" indicator back.

Wotnopetrol

Here's query about the lighting on the Vectrix.

All the claims on what mileage different owners are getting from their bikes, is this with lights on or off.

The Vectrix looks like it has two lights at the front. Is one a normal H4 bulb and the other (a sidelight?) an LED cluster? I read somewhere that all the rest of the bulbs are LEDs, which is nice to know for economy, reliability and longevity reasons.

My name is now down for the next Canary Wharf demo. I was also asking in the carpark about free parking (presently £2.00 per day for motorcycles) and they seemed to agree they should make provision for this, as they have free charging and parking for electric cars like the G-Wiz.

It's looking like Vectrix ownership is becoming more of a no brainer by the day! For my petrol bike it's £500 worth of fuel per year, £450 to servicing, £440 for parking.

This could be a very good investment.

Simon.

Simon

moccasin
moccasin's picture

All the claims on what mileage different owners are getting from their bikes, is this with lights on or off.

In the US, lights are required by law. Everywhere else, they just make good sense!

I dought on a 125 volt system, a 12 volt headlight is going to effect your range more than a few hundred yards, and if you're pushing the limits of the lowest range rating of the Vectrix, I'd recommend waiting for a longer range vehicle to hit the market before I would risk riding in traffic with no headlight.

Range rating on an EV is like fuel mileage rating on an ICE. If you assume the lowest as your norm, everything else is a bonus.

//www.moccsplace.com/vectrix/newsig.jpg)
Buzby
Buzby's picture

The lights are ON, permanently - it's also an EU requirement, so the beams go on when the ignition is turned on. Do remember, that the bike doesn't run on 12v so although there IS a drain its impact on range is negligible. There would be a greater opportunity to compensate for this simply by regenning when you want to slow down or stop.

- Raymond

azvectrix

What IS that funny little front light for, anyway? And why the one under the seat?...

undead

What IS that funny little front light for, anyway? And why the one under the seat?...

Under the seat = courtesy light

raytheham
raytheham's picture

The small front light and the headlight being on are for safety purposes to allow a greater chance of being seen whilst riding by other vehicle drivers. Which is why I also where reflective clothing and a white crash helmet.

I have been knocked off my bikes twice, fortunately without injury to me, by half witted incompetent drivers who have said "I didn't see you". The more you can advertise your presence the safer you will be.
Even in the summer I always wear full protective clothing and boots.

The nickname for motorcycles in the UK is "donorcycles" because of the traffic density!!

Regards
Ray

Ray

moccasin
moccasin's picture

by half witted incompetent drivers who have said "I didn't see you".

Of course they didn't see you. They were too busy texting someone on their cell phone to even look!

We get cops run over here with their lights and sirens blaring. Trying to be seen or heard is futile at best. Learning to anticipate and avoid potential situations is our only real chance of survival, but I agree, every little bit of "presence hardware" can't hurt! ;-)

Wotnopetrol

Well I've always ridden with a headlight on, not just a sidelight.

In the 70's we were plagued by car drivers flashing their lights at us to tell us to turn them off. Of course so did the Volvo drivers suffer when they introduced the "permanent lights on" feature for that make. I remember you could buy a translucent elasticated orange headlamp cover for daytime use.

I just wondered if the mileage figures quoted by owners and Vectrix were with the lights off. As I now understand there seems to be no "off" switch for the lights then that's good, it means there is no "lights on or off" range difference.

Been talking to Vectrix UK and will be having a test ride soon! Can't wait.

Simon.

Simon

mrladderman
mrladderman's picture
siai47

Thanks for the nice video!

DJP

Thanks for your comment Siai47 this glitch has now occurred a few more times, the motor cuts out predictably under rapid acceleration, my guess is there is an overload trip or thermal cut-out in the motor circuit. I am awaiting a responce from Vectrix UK.

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

Hi everyone,

I just found this site after a quick Google search. I took delivery of my new Vectrix yesterday after a quick test ride which lasted about 3 minutes - this was my choice as I knew I wanted one straight away after experiencing the amazing acceleration, ride and handling and virtually no noise. I've never owned a bike up until now and have no interest in other bikes or scooters. I'm based in Kent and purchased mine from a very friendly and helpful guy called Michael Webb from Streets Ahead Ltd. The price was £5995 including registration and delivery (which was free). From test ride to delivery to my door step was just 5 days! Being new to bikes (having only taken and passed my CBT about 10 days ago) the insurance quotes varied massively. I was recommended to use WHA http://www.wha-insurance.co.uk/electricscooterinsurance/aboutus.htm which got my quote down to £250 (from nearly £400 elsewhere via an on-line comparison site). I did have to buy a few other bits and bobs such as helmet, gloves, security chain and ground anchor of which I bought all these from my local Hein Gericke store.

My first ever trip out yesterday was just over 20 miles with a few hills and bursts of acceleration and I made it to my destination with 1 bar and est. 3 miles to go. I was expecting to see a battery warning light, but didn't get anything - not even a drop in performance. A full recharge took about 3.5 hours until the fans switched off and the est. range went up a few miles and I made the same trip home again with 4 bars and 9 miles to go. I presume once the battery has achieved the initial 5 deep discharge/charge cycles the range will be longer and charging times shorter. I am also learning to accelerate smoother and slower in order to conserve the range. My daily commute to work will be about 22 miles each way with half of each journey on a 50mph A-road - I'm lucky as work have agreed it's OK to charge it there and I've estimate a monthly fuel cost saving to be around £120!

My only gripes are that I wish the charging lead was a little longer than 8ft./2.4m although I'm getting an extension lead custom made to the specs given in the owners manual. I also would prefer the speedometer to be primarily in MPH instead of KPH - this is something I'll have to get used to which I don't think will be a problem. I also am having problems sometimes closing the glove box which does seem a little flimsy, but again it's something I'm not used to but I sure it'll be second nature soon. On a more positive note, I like the way the sidelight and headlight come on straight away as soon as you switch it on. Safer riding and at least you can't forget to switch it off. I also like the fact the LCD back lights automatically switch on according to the amount of light available - something I first noticed driving through a tunnel.

If anyone is thinking shall I/shan't I... go for a test ride, you will be impressed. I now look forward to my daily commute.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Congrats!!

Yep, although I enjoyed my entire 8 mile test ride that my salesman led on, I knew by the time I went through two intersections that all my concerns about power, pickup, speed, and regen braken were completely dispelled.

With my terrain and traffic, I doubt that I will ever see any more than 25 USEFUL miles of range between charges, but that's quite alright, as that is normally the MOST I would need to do in a single day anyway, and like you, at-work charging is not a problem (which might come in handy on those call back nights when the bike hasn't charged up yet).

DJP

In defence of Vectrix::: Mine has done 1600 miles, three times it has cut out when accelerating quickly from rest, after some chaseing a chap came from Vectrix UK with a subsitute machine, which was not in the end required, he recognised the fault and fixed it in a few minutes by adjusting the throttle control to synchronise the neutral point between accelerate and regnerate. I can't complain about the service from Vectrix UK and the design of the throttle control system is quite clever.

DJP

Mik
Mik's picture

In defence of Vectrix::: Mine has done 1600 miles, three times it has cut out when accelerating quickly from rest, after some chaseing a chap came from Vectrix UK with a subsitute machine, which was not in the end required, he recognised the fault and fixed it in a few minutes by adjusting the throttle control to synchronise the neutral point between accelerate and regnerate. I can't complain about the service from Vectrix UK and the design of the throttle control system is quite clever.

DJP

Did he give you a good explanation how the throttle would cause this phenomenon?

It might be possible, but I do not understand how.

It is my understanding that the cutting out was not reproducible by yourself; you can therefore not be sure that it has actually been fixed. Only time will tell - or did I miss something?

DJP

Hello Mik, To elaborate...the fault occured 3 times before I realised what the circumstances were that brought it about, I then made it happen 3 more times in the space of 5 minutes simply by neutralising the throttle then snapping it open quickly, either fron rest or at moderate speed. The chap from Vectrix was not a technician but had experienced the same problem himself. I am not an expert on motor control software either but it seems that if the mechanical neutral position of the twistgrip is not synchronised with the neutral position of the electronic control device, the processor gets upset and switches off. This is only my guess and may be wildly inaccurate. With the Kill switch on and the LH blake leaver in operation the speedo was reading nearly 50kph, it should be 43.5 this was corrected by adjusting the slotted head inside the twistgrip following which I was unable to cause the fault to occur as described above. I am a self confessed mug for this sort of technology, I ride the latest generation of electric bicycle, I play with electric model airoplanes and I was one of the first owners of a Honda Insight which has now done 110k miles at 86 miles to the imp.gallon. there is bound to be a risk if you invest in these sort of things when they first come on the market but I have no regrets and my experence so far with Vectrix service is better than most.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

there is bound to be a risk if you invest in these sort of things when they first come on the market but I have no regrets and my experence so far with Vectrix service is better than most.

AMEN!

Mik
Mik's picture

Hello Mik, To elaborate...the fault occured 3 times before I realised what the circumstances were that brought it about, I then made it happen 3 more times in the space of 5 minutes simply by neutralising the throttle then snapping it open quickly, either fron rest or at moderate speed. The chap from Vectrix was not a technician but had experienced the same problem himself. I am not an expert on motor control software either but it seems that if the mechanical neutral position of the twistgrip is not synchronised with the neutral position of the electronic control device, the processor gets upset and switches off. This is only my guess and may be wildly inaccurate. With the Kill switch on and the LH blake leaver in operation the speedo was reading nearly 50kph, it should be 43.5 this was corrected by adjusting the slotted head inside the twistgrip following which I was unable to cause the fault to occur as described above.

That is indeed a good explanation; the throttle calibration was out, the fault was reproducible before the adjustment and is gone afterwards: Problem fixed! Very good!

There is nothing like a Vectrix person who had the same problem themselves before, i.e. is experienced.

marsupi
marsupi's picture

Hi all,
I saw this cool docking station apparently available soon via this UK dealer
Anyone with more info?

dockingstation.jpg

07 Vectrix, Vego 600 mod.48V 800W, Arcade Alu E-Cycle 24VSachs Hub

Wotnopetrol

I rode my BMW scooter today after being off it for 4 weeks.

It was horrid, the bike is fine of course, but after the silky smooth Vectrix....those vibrations, the noise, the lack of response, the inferior handling.

ICEs are dead, :-) the only sorrow I have is that the Vectrix can't be used seriously for touring or travelling between major cities due to the lack of range. But, I bought it as a commuter vehicle, and that's what it is. I just love riding it, necessary long journeys on my other "conventional" bikes are going to be so disappointing.

500 miles so far and only £5.71 in "fuel."

Simon

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Me too. Although currently I still have limited charging capability I don't drive my Clio anymore. I don't remember when was the last time I've driven it. I've done a lot of kilometers since Saturday.

I hope I will get an answer regarding my repair this week.

Mik, in case it's a fan molex connector disconnected, where is it located and how can it be reached? Is unscrewing the front sit screwdrivers in the back of the front sit a way to go there? Not that I'd do it, I'm just wondering if a solution to my problem is sitting right under my bottom ;-)

Hermes

Final hour cold feet and worry.

I'm just about ready to buy my Vectrix and today asked an electrician friend if he could craft me an extension lead..

Here start the problem.

I live on the second floor of a purpose built block. I'd have to let the lead out of the bedroom window and down to my parking space which is right in front.
This apparently is illegal.
I'm not sure what to do.

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage