Recommendations for moped style e-bikes that don't need registration

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gsun
Recommendations for moped style e-bikes that don't need registration

I'm new to this site in fact I'm new to any forum. I don't generally get much time for it. But that being said I need some guidance in purchasing an E-bike. I commute 9 miles round trip to and from work on an xtreme 560 scooter but want something bigger and one that I don't have to recharge at work if I want to take side trips (shopping etc.) The 20 mph speed limit is OK for me as I don't want to get a motorcycle license in addition to my regular drivers license. I would like an ebike styled like a moped and limit my budget to $800.00 max including shipping if thats possible.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Garry

Fairfield, Cal.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Recommendations for moped style e-bikes that don't need regi

gushar has an XB-600 that he likes...

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

gushar

I have the XB600 from xtreme and I think it is just awesome. It's a pleasure riding and so far (3 months) it's been very reliable. The greatest distance I've ridden is 20 miles and I believe I could have ridden another 10-15 easily. It feels solid, rides and controls well and the brakes are great! It's $799 and an extra $70 I believe if you get it delivered at your driveway. However, buy from BaseStationZero (ArticFox here on the forum) and you will get the best in customer service from his end. Also, he may still be running the deal I got where he had it shipped to my driveway without charging the extra $70. Not sure...but regardless order from him if you decide on this model. And I can assure you I have no relationship with BaseStationZero except for the fact that I ordered my XB600 from them (him) and got great service! Do be aware though that it is drop shipped from xtreme and while it comes on a pallet...well...they can sometimes be damaged body parts cause they cover it with a cardboard box, etc. However, xtreme will replace any damaged parts without a hassle. Course mine came without any damage and I don't suspect there's nearly as much chance of damage with shipping these as the XM2000...their bigger scooter. Anyway, I don't believe you'll be disappointed and for the money it's a bargain in my opinion!

Gushar

Gus

gushar

BTW...meant to also say that I've ridden the XB500 as well. It's a bit smaller but felt great too. I've owned a standup scoot...and the Boreem type scooters and I assure you the XB models from xtreme are a whole great new world over any of those. The XB500 was almost as fast as my XB600...and solid too...but I'd still spend the extra (500 is $599) for the XB600. But again either one 500, 508, 600 is I'm sure something you'll be happy with.

Gushar

Gus

Gsun

Want to thank John H. and Gushar for their replies. By the way has anybody had any experience with the R Martin L780 moped style ebike?

Regards Garry

Garry

gushar

I took a look at the bike you mentioned...Martin. I wouldn't be happy with it I don't think. The motor seems to small to me...and I don't like the complication of two speeds. When you add the $100 shipping you'd be at the cost basically of the XB600...which unless mine is an exception...is a great ride for the money. I do like the fact that the Martin folks open the cartons and inspect the bikes before shipment. You won't get that from X-treme...but then if you did it would cost you more than the $799. When you look at the available e-bikes on the market...all of which as Martin describes come from China or Taiwan...well...you pretty much just need to go with price vs features, etc...what other owners say about it, etc. Again, I really like my XB600 . I don't know how it will hold up over time...but it is a fun ride and dependable thus far. And it looks very good "adult-like." I rode the XB500 as I mentioned above and it rode well also. The only thing I will caution you about is this. If you are going to be riding near lots of traffic...when they see your "scooter looking" bike they will think you can go alot faster than you can. So, if you want to ride with traffic I'd choose a "traditional" e-bike that looks just like a bicycle. That way nobody expects you to go very fast and they will pay more attention to you since they're more used to seeing bikes beside them in bike lanes, etc.

Another thought...if you want to actually pedal it...then anything like the XB600 that looks like a scooter probably will be difficult to pedal. I think they just make them with optional pedals for legal purposes. I've never had the pedals on my XB600...and don't need them. And I don't think you could pedal the thing anyway!...at least not enough to do anything. I also removed the chain on my XB600 first thing since I had no intention of peddling. It really is to me a "scooter" rather than an e-bike...and performs that way.

Gushar

Gus

Gsun

Thanks again Gushar,

I will be riding in traffic or with cars on the road where I live and think I will take your advice and look into a more traditional looking e-bike. I'm thinking of an Izip ez-go or Izip cruiser along with a spare battery pack in case I need to travel far. Seems as though most e-bikes have a limited range without pedaling. Would appreciate any thoughts you have about this Idea.

With much Thanks Garry

Garry

gushar

You are welcome. That's what this forum is about...providing help and info...in my humble opinion.

I don't know much about the Izip, etc...but have seen it before online. It seems as good quality as any e-bikes around and I do think you are being wise going with the more bicycle style for your particular needs. You might check out the xtreme model ebike that looks more like a bicycle...can't remember the number...but it's the least expensive in their e-bike line. I think it's like $499 and the only reason I suggest this is again...sometimes the least expensive is about as good as the rest...and all of these electrics are coming out of factories in China, Taiwan. And that's why you see the same parts, etc. on so many of them. There are important differences sometimes...but again just weigh your desires, needs...against cost. Some for example will be around $500 and others around $1000. Is there really $500 worth of difference or better quality??? That's what I'd evaluate and make a decision with that in mind.

Good luck with whatever you buy. Let us know what you buy and how it is. That way, you will have contributed back to the forum.

Happy e-biking!

Gushar

Gus

Gsun

Hi Gushar

I purchased a Wilderness electric ebike conversion kit a 600 watt BL36 kit that should go up to 25 mph using a 26" rim and have an approximate range of 20 to 25 miles. I'm using the extended range batteries 36v at 12 amps the hub motor is brushless and the kit is complete except for the bike. I have a less than year old bike I was going to use but I am shopping for a new bike with better brakes to suit the speed attained. I bought a refurbished kit with warranty that cost $349.00 plus shipping of $17.00. The bikes people use with these conversions with success are the lower line Schwinns or Next brand bikes (in other words Walmart sub $200.00 bikes) The lighter high-end bikes have had problems with front fork breakage and other woes.

Regards Garry

Garry

gushar

Hey, sounds like a project to me...and a fun one! Good luck with the installation and seems you'll have a great ride at a even greater price! Good Luck...

Gushar

Gus

LaughsAtSpandex

Looks like this thread is dead, but I wanted to chime in:

The IZIP HG-1000 is similar to the Xtreme bikes, but MUCH better quality and covered by a 1-year Currie Technologies warranty. It's a 36-volt bike with 22" wheels, looks like a scooter but has pedals so it's bike-lane/sidewalk legal (depending on your local laws). Throttle speed is 18 mph and when pedaling I've gotten it up to about 22-24mph, depending on the grade of the road. Comes with an electric horn, headlight (though the bulbs are a little hard to find), trunk, and basket. It can handle a lot of weight and is pretty handy for carrying small cargo loads. I weighed 240 when I got it (the supposed limit for the bike) and I was still managing good speeds and range. (and I did lose weight riding it, too).

Range is very good; `About 30-35 miles if you pedal. Torque is excellent because of the decent voltage, smaller wheels, and hub motor. Handles quite well, and is incredibly sturdy and weather-resistant. The only major downside is the weight when the battery's on it: 90 pounds.

If you're looking for a scooter-alternative bike, the HG-1000 is an excellent choice. I wouldn't sell mine if I didn't need something a little more lightweight and capable of being taken on a bus rack every once in a while.

The biggest advantage of the IZIP over the Xtreme is that Currie is based in America and has a UK presence as well, and can cover parts, repairs, and warranty issues directly. No need to call some manufacturer in China. I've also been told by a few people that the Xtreme bikes can be hit-or-miss as far as build quality. While both the HG-1000 and the Xtreme bikes are Chinese-built, the IZIP are designed in California and they really stand by their warranty. I've gotten great service from Currie Tech.

I'm just outside of Lansing, and I've had a lot of luck with the HG-1000 as a commuter vehicle (sidewalks only. In Michigan bikes are sidewalk legal). I'm sure whichever college student buys it from me is going to be pleased with its performance. Honestly, if it were a little lighter and smaller, I'd keep it. I'll miss the 36 volts of power when I'm riding around on a 24-volt bike, I'm sure.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage