How to change tire with hub motor??

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
no3rdseat
How to change tire with hub motor??

Hi all. I just ordered an EFUN-D and I'm already trying to forsee any problems I might encounter. One thing I don't have an answer for it how hard is it to get a tire replaced on the rear of an electric scooter with a built in hub? Can any scooter place do it? Can a motorcycle shop do it? Do I need to remove the wheel, remove the motor, and then take the wheel to someone to replace the tire? I live in the Washington DC area if anyone knows of someplace that will do this for me.

Thanks,

-Rick Stewart
Silver Spring, MD

gushar
Re: How to change tire with hub motor??

Well, I'm not an expert on this...but I did replace a tube and I could have done the tire as well...on my XB600 scooter/e-bike. I too was wondering if it would be a pain to do. No problem...and you could probably do it yourself if you can change a regular bicycle tire. You certainly wouldn't need to remove the motor from the rim. As a matter of fact I don't know how you would do that with a hub motor since it's basically part of the rim.

Anyway, that is a mute discussion since you don't have to do that. The hub motor has a wiring harness coming out of the axle and it has a plug somehwere on the end where it connects to another set of wires. And so you really just find where it has a plug that you can unplug...and release any "wire ties" or whatever that are holding the wire harness to the frame...and when you remove the wheel it will be just like any other wheel except that a wire harness (with a plug on the end) will be coming out of one side of the axle and you'll have to be careful not to damage that when you're changing the tire.

I actually changed the tube on my XB600 by leaving the tire on the scooter until I had the old tube out. That's easy enough to do. I also didn't have to unplug anything. Once I had the tube out of the tire...I just loosened the wheel and slide it back far enough to slip the tube by the axle on the opposite side from where the wire harness goes in the axle. Then slid the wheel back on and finished up. I also repaired the old tube (before getting my new tube)without even loosening the wheel at all. All you have to do is completely deflate the tire/tube and slide one side of the tire over the rim and pull the tube out...just like you do if it's off the bike. There's enough room to find the hole and patch it with the tube still around the axle. But then I know you asked about changing the tire...not just repairing or replacing the tube.

I'd say that there's not alot of difference doing this on a wheel that has no motor. Again...you just have to unplug the wiring harness coming out of the axle so it comes with the wheel when you remove it. The main thing is that you want to make some marks on the frame and axle nuts/washers of the alignment before you remove it. That way you can put it back with the same correct alignment as it was before you removed it...so the tire/wheel is centered properly in the frame....and in the same "front to back" position.

Gushar

Gus

no3rdseat

Thanks, the last paragraph was pretty helpful. :)

mf70

The problems you run into will be the same as for any 10" tire. The only new thing to watch out for is valve clearance. Not all tubes have the same valve stem angle, and the wrong one (too sharp or too straight) will not work.

MarkF

richardb
richardb's picture

For all of you who need explicit instructions on patching a flat without removing the hub motor, go to my web site at:
http://www.bergerweb.net/xb500/repairs.shtml
This does not tell how to remove the rear hub motor from the bike. That can be found in the owner's manual.
Dick B.

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

AztecFemBone
AztecFemBone's picture

Ride-On tire protection (http://www.ride-on.com/) has been suggested as a preventative measure:
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3750-flat-tires-and-tube-protectors

I have some but haven't had time to put it in my tires yet.

Once again, Dick, you've outdone yourself!

sgmdudley

no3rdseat....

you asked about changing the tire on an EFUN-D. I don't know if it is 10" or 13" wheel rim but should not matter.

I have changed tires several times. Disconnecting the motor from the controller on a Zapino is not easy. There are
six motor wires in addition to the quick connectors. The wires are connected to the six controller wires with screws
and nuts and each wire is shrink wrapped, then the whole wire pack is shrink wrapped.

1) To change the tire, I first used a plywood platform with eyehooks to hold down the front end so I can remove the rear wheel without fear of the scooter tipping backwards. (works good to remove the front wheel also).

2) On the Zapino, the wheel drops down out of the frame, so I use a scissors jack to raise the frame just enough to drop out the wheel. Be sure to have someone steady the scooter by holding the handle bars unless you have a better jack then I have.

3) Once the wheel is out from under the scooter, cut the wire tires back to the controller so you have as much slack in the harness as it will allow.

4) I use two wood platforms I built that are several 2"x6" nailed together. I placed the rim on these blocks with the wiring going down.

5) I have two tire irons and just worked the tire off the rim. the 10" tires were easy. Took the Kenda off and installed Michelin S-1. I have done it this way several times.

6) Reverse to put the new tire on.

7) the hard part is getting a seal on the new tire bead to the rim so you can put air in. I use a tie down strap with a ratchet. Loop this over the center of the tread and tighten it until the tire presses against the rim. Then as it takes air, you can release the strap.

Picture of the tiedown installed to remove the front wheel. Reverse the platform so the eyehooks are in the front and the center stand is on the platform.

Rear_tiedown.jpg

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

Littlewolf

Thanks for the thorough notes, Robert. My 2008 Zapino just got a flat on the rear tire as well. I'm trying to decide if I should try to fix it myself or take it to a shop. The brake rotors and the wiring makes me a little a nervous. As I say, though, I appreciate your info. Any suggestions? Is it do-able for someone who is fairly handy but not used to scooter repair?
Thanks.

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

if good tread bang some slime in fit and forget till you need a new totally worn tyre then it a new tyre
i should be a sales man for slime with all the vehicals over all these years i have used it and found it to be tatally reliable and found that you have to pump the tyres less ..
kev

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage