Anyone want to race?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Techteacher
Anyone want to race?

Just wanted to give the forum an updated picture. We've been busy the last two years here at school. It's been a while since I posted here and had to update my log-in.

The Xtreme Racing Vehicle (XRV) is running an ETEK at 48 volts with a 300 amp controller. We redesigned the rear suspension, eliminating the independent rear suspension an installing a straight axle with one-way hubs. The front suspension is modeled off of a Lee Stohr DSR race car. 205/50-10 DOT rear tires with 80/90-10 DOT front tires. We utilized drum brakes on the front, which were marginal at best. The XRV will literally roast the tires as long as your keep your foot down. It was also the first student-built electric vehicle to perform "drifting" at Road America.

We now have a body mold to build multiple vehicles. We are currently building a second electric XRV for this year. We are aslo building two ICE powered XRV's for supermileage competition.

Now, someone is going to ask....why the big DOT tires? We chose to do that to make the competition more "real world". When getting sponsorships, it was always a sticky situation when you have a sponsor say "But your running bicycle tires, that would never be allowed on the street". We also found out that the DOT tire/rims where MUCH cheaper than your typical electrathon assembly, with increased load capacity. Lastly, when running 48 volts you need as much rubber as you can get!

Now... here in Wisconsin we are piloting a Class 3 electrathon, which is open to adult teams. The advisory council is also piloted a rule saying if a team utilizes four DOT tires, the vehicle is allowed more battery capacity to overcome the increase in rolling resistance.

We'd love to have some of the experts here build a vehicle and show up at Road America!

Techteacher
Re: Anyone want to race?

DSC00890.jpgDSC00893.jpg

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

It's just not fair - I never got to do cool stuff like this when I went to school! :-(

Make sure you get some video of that drifting action... :-)

BTW, did you design and fab the chassis yourself? Or is it some sort of off the shelf part? (my metal work skills might let me build that box that holds the front steering assembly but making my own frame? No way!)

All the best and good luck!

(but what do we have to do to persuade you NOT to make an ICE version? ;-) )

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Techteacher

The chassis and body are all student built. We did use some off the shelf parts. The shocks, motor, motor controller, etc...

Have to build the ICE versions.... we had a VERY generous donation from an engine manufacturer.

I do have the video of the XRV doing a spin-out.... have to figure out how to make it small enough to post.

We also built the following vehicles last year:
10 HP Diesel powered minibaja
250cc V-twin minichopper
Two class 2 electrathons
Two concept class supermileage vehicles

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

OK - can I come back to school and you can teach me how to do my own chassis design and fab? :-)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

thomps316

Chassis smancy. Who needs to fab up all that. Just find a good garden tractor with a descent frame, a forklift motor, and two or more marine deep cycle batteries.
//i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee315/thomps316/100_0179.jpg)
A good ebay account helps too.

IbeRKT

Chassis smancy. Who needs to fab up all that. Just find a good garden tractor with a descent frame, a forklift motor, and two or more marine deep cycle batteries.

LOL yeah it's already been done (or at leas similar projects) look here to see a few

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/type/TCMW

Ok most of these are not that fast and would get their but's kicked in a race but they are interesting anyway.

thomps316

Well, as soon as I get my new controller for it, I'll tell you all how fast my junk heap can move, but with the current switch I use, it goes plenty fast. Who knows, maybe I'll race someone with it.
In case your wondering, here is the switch I jery-rigged to test it.
//i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee315/thomps316/100_0182.jpg)

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage