How do we get noticed?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture
How do we get noticed?

I hear people talk about improving our community here to help assemble some type of an EV force - something to get electric vehicles noticed.

Personally, that's nice and all, but it's a load of crap.

If the EV world is going to make a stand, it's going to have to be "out there" not in here. You people who buy, own, build, modify, engineer, test, etc any and all types of electric vehicles from bikes, scooters, mopeds, ATVs, golf carts, odd 3-wheeled contraptions need to GET OUT and GET NOTICED. Go places, everywhere, put signs on your ride letting people know "It's ELECTRIC!", mobilize, meet up, go to breakfast at Denny's and talk to us old people about your EV (we'll gossip and tell others), put lights on it, bells, horns, do things on the road to catch peoples' attentions (safely), involve yourself in the community, sign up for your town parades (smile and wave big)...

This, here, will not cut it. You need to be out there for people to notice - then when they ask out there, send them in here for more detailed information and options. I ride my eScooter to the store every weekend and have placed my website address on the back window of my car and park it on the street. For anyone interested, I can have custom bumper stickers, window lettering, and T-shirts made up for you to pass out or wear with whatever you want written on them.

Do that OUT THERE, not in here.

firetruck.jpg
GET NOTICED!

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: How do we get noticed?

I agree.. and to be on-topic this should have been posted in the Advocacy section of the forum .. in any case, yes, you're right.

I listened to a podcast episode yesterday of an interview of a guy who intend(ed/s) to build an electric car company. He noted that in Europe the alternative vehicle advocates want vehicles that stand out and scream "I'M DIFFERENT" to get attention the way you say. The guy said in the U.S. the alternative vehicle advocates seem to want their vehicles to be stealthy, to look like regular instances of vehicles but be alternatively fueled. Like the typical conversion vehicle where you can't tell from the outside it's any different. There's a guy down the street from me who owns an electric pickup truck and other than the 'Electric' chrome thing on the back you can't tell it from any other pickup.

I do think for acceptance people need to learn to recognize the vehicles and see them from time to time. Familiarity breeds acceptance over time, usually.

But at the same time I think a forum like this is helpful for us EV nuts as a place where we can learn from each other and help each other get running.

mr_exon

what about a 45hp DC motor in the front of a model-"T".....
make it a roadster and leave the engine area open...people will see the shiny motor in the place of the gas engine and know right off it has to be electric!

I just Re-laced my first spoked wheel! and it was trued by spinning it in my hand

PJD
PJD's picture

On my e-max, I get noticed all right - but the reaction generally isn't positive.

Firstly, in spite of a big "ELECTRIC" decal on both sides, and it's near silence, few notice that it is electric, the predominant question being "what kind of gas mileage does it get".

Secondly, the general reaction depends on where I am.
When I go into the city, there is a "alternate personal transportation" culture, but it is dominated by either bicycle-anarchist types, or Vespa-snobs. So, I get a sort of polite quiet disregard - most of them thinking it is a cheap-Chinese "moped", or in the case of the anarcho-critical-mass types, only leg-power is "pure" enough. (I suspect they will start to think otherwise when they are in their 50's).

Then I head out into the 'burbs - the "South Hills" - and, from both SUV and sidewalk, it's: Moped-man! ha-ha-ha!, or; Hey buddy - get a real bike!, or simply some 20-something republican bubbas pointing and laughing from behind rolled-up car windows in the next lane, or the funny looks I get from co-workers. Then, the discovery of the egg someone threw at it when it was parked.

Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic here but we do have a lot of public education to do. Our EV's are a bit like my other pastime, hang gliding, when I tell people I've jumped off a 500 ft. hill and flown to 9000 ft. without an engine, they give me the same sort of look. In spite of so many vastly more complex gadgets around us these days, we still seem to be riding or driving things that most people don't even know are technologically possible.

mr_exon

Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic here but we do have a lot of public education to do. Our EV's are a bit like my other pastime, hang gliding, when I tell people I've jumped off a 500 ft. hill and flown to 9000 ft. without an engine, they give me the same sort of look. In spite of so many vastly more complex gadgets around us these days, we still seem to be riding or driving things that most people don't even know are technologically possible.

Good points, but when I see people getting ignorant about the things I love and have more time invested in, I tell them the power curve(more like "torque curve") and how my bikes take off with dragster like G's then they have a bit more interest in the sport/way of life. When I practice for instance(EV pocket bikes) I ride it as hard as the tires can grip the road...I take my turns as fast at pro riders in a good clean parking lot. I draw crowds some times and people always are amazed about the long run times I last in for..

Gas bikes need to cool down after about 15 min of running

I just Re-laced my first spoked wheel! and it was trued by spinning it in my hand

davew
davew's picture

How to get noticed? Be loud. Be noticeable. Never pass by an opportunity for attention. In the last three years I've had two articles about me in the local paper and a letter read on NPR. It's not all that difficult. I got in the paper by calling them and asking to be interviewed. Opportunities come along all the time it's just a question of seizing them, and occasionally making them. A little arrogance probably doesn't hurt either.

Getting noticed in public is even easier. I ride a Bionx with a big black and white sticker on the battery pack that says "This bike means one less car on the road." People notice that. Sometimes it's my fluorescent orange jacket they see first, but whatever works. I used to stash my helmet and gloves in the panniers when shopping. How silly is that? Now I always take them into the store. Inevitably it leads to questions in the checkout line especially in the winter.

"You ride in this kind of weather?"

"I ride in every kind of weather. We're not going to solve global warming by sticking to what's easy and convenient."

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

racermike39
racermike39's picture

ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVANGELICALS! EV EV'S

Racermike
5 years ago I met Jesus and he total ruined my life. I have never been happier.

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

WE NEED TO GO OUT...
AND TALK TO OUR BROTHERS...
AND TALK TO OUR SISTERS...
AND SHOW THEM THE EVERLASTING LIGHT...

OF ELECTRICITY....
OF VOLTAGE...
OF THE RAW POWER...
OF AMPERAGE...

AND THAT GASOLINE...
IS THE DEVIL'S DRINK...
AND IT IT EVIL...
THAT IT IS UNCLEAN...

lol.

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

poolman10

Hey,
I live in Fl. and I ride my electric skateboard almost every day 4-6 miles with my wife lagging behind on her bicycle, Get a lot of strange looks from the SUVers, But have had a lot of people stop me and ask me how far and how fast it will go, They cant believe that it will go 16 to 19mph and up to 15 miles on a charge, then they ask how much it cost to build, and when I tell them I built it for less than $200.00, I have to break it down piece by piece, And had a few ask me to help them wire one up when they get all the parts..
So get out there...

mattlepperd
mattlepperd's picture

One thing to keep in mind if you wish to help out the electric vehicle future is to not say things like "Some Republican Bubba"
Why piss off half of the country with Liberal snobbery? Does the earth only belong to Democrats? Are all SUV's piloted by Right Wing Babtists and all bikes are owned by Democrats? As you may have guessed I am not only a Repubican but a Republican activist who is working overtime on the Republican agenda. I also happen to be fascinated in EV's and I am actively building two of them with plans for a third. I work with the Robotics department at the Mukwanago High School as an adviser.
Labling people alienates them..In fact the comment in this thread irritated me to the point that I nearly quit this forum. This country is deeply polarized and I spend enough time fighting what I believe to be mistakes in the current administration. Do we want to talk about that or my Electric Chevrolet Vega project?
Or is the fact that I am a "republican Bubba" make me unwelcome here?

poolman10

You are more than welcome here, Just don't say Palin, Ha Ha, I think every party needs to be involved, But as the lone Democrat in my family, It is hard when the rest of my family (Republicans) think Global Warming is something made up by the Democrats to deceive the tax payers, in America, out of there money

reikiman
reikiman's picture

You are very welcome here .. but what you say about pissing people off by labeling them things like "Liberal snobbery" goes both ways y'know.

... Why piss off half of the country with Liberal snobbery? ...

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage