Lookin' for a MIG welder...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Lookin' for a MIG welder...

Okay, I've got some cash saved up and started shopping around.

Haven't decided on anything in particular yet, but I found this:

northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...

115V, but 125A out. Should be good for hobby work. Needs MIG upgrade, though, and for the cost of the upgrade, I could almost get this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306073_200306073

Seems to come with everything I need, sans the gas.

I wanted to get someone else's opinion first, though.

Yes, I'm aware that Chuck doesn't like the 115V ones, but at this point I don't really have a choice. My grandma will NOT let me put in another (I found out the stove and spa are 230V) 230V line. Plus, I might be moving to an apartment complex next year (cries) and I have yet to find a 230V line in an apartment. Porch, but no 230V outlet.

If anyone else knows of any decent 115V models that can be had a reasonable price, kindly chime in. I homed in on these two because Hobart apparently has a reputation for being durable.

One more thing: What sort of place do I find gas/bottles at, and how much should I expect to pay for a small one, anyway?

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Lookin' for a MIG welder...

I have the first one - the 125 - w/o the gas attachment. I think it works fine. But then what do I know, I don't have centuries of experience with welding like that other guy has.

The gas attachment is required to weld stainless steel. For normal mild steel gas isn't required.

The shop I bought this at also sold me a chemical spray called 'Spatter Block HT' which does help a bit with the splattering.

There should be a welding supply company in your area. Almost anywhere has enough industrial activity from car shops to metal fabrication etc to warrant welding supply companies. They'll have everything you need and more.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Ah, I figured. I live about 20mi away from the industrial district of the city. All businesses and a few factories. Not a single house for miles. To the yellow pages...

*thumbs through book**pauses*

What am I doing? I have internet!

Chuck, what's your opinion on this? 125 without the MIG or pay more and get the 140? Something else altogether?

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

racermike39
racermike39's picture

Hello everyone.

I am a welder fabricator, and I though I would chime in on this one. Do your self a HUGE favor, and buy a 220V welder that is 150amps or higher. Also, stay with a name brand like Linclon or Miller. These are good machines, and parts and service centers are more plentiful.

If you opt to buy a 115V 125AMP "gasless" mig welder, you will significantly reduce the duty cycle compared to using the gas. You will consume the available power melting the flux inside the fluxcore wire used when not using a shielding gas in the bottle. What this means is when you have a need to weld material thicker than 1/8", you will get poor penetration and keep kicking out the thermal breaker on the machine. Some (most) of the welders sold by Northern Tool, Harbor freight and even Tractor Supply are China made welders. This is not suggesting that they are poor quality, just that parts and service may be a frustrating problem. Use caution and search for a website that has reviews on the model you are interested it. Home Depot and Lowes also sell 115V versions of the Lincoln and Miller welders. These are mass produced specifically for the wholesale chains, and rumors suggest that quailty is sacrficed to reduce cost. If your Home Depot or Lowes machine breaks down, Miller and Licoln service centers will tell you to take it back to HD or Lowes.

I know it is difficult to justify added expense, but when you purchase any tool, you should buy a tool with some reserve capacity. A 220V 150AMP welder will handle all of your home owner/hobbyist needs and then some. The first time the hitch breaks on you tractor, or you decide a utility trailer would be useful, the little welders will just cause frustration, and possibly inferior welds that lead to failure.

If you descide to sell your welder later on, you will get $50 bucks for the Northern Tool one, You will probably get 85-90% of your purchase price back on a good welder.

Also you must consider the availibility of consumables like tips, wire guides, cups and insulators. Many China brands do their own thing. You won't be able to go to Napa, True Value etc to get the things you need.

If you will be welding outside and not in a garage or shed, you are forced to use the gassless flux core wire. Any breeze at all when using the gas in a bottle, will blow the shielding gas away friom the weld, and cause porosity.

If you will be welding inside a garage or shed, I would strongly recommend getting the gas bottle to run solid core wire. It is a much better weld, gives better penetration and no clean up required.

I hope this helps.

Racermike
5 years ago I met Jesus and he total ruined my life. I have never been happier.

marcus

yes what he said is right on...
i have a lincoln 175a 115v flux core wire. with some practice
you can make some ok welds but like he said only on thin steel
anything thicker than 1/8in, you need more power.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Ah, yeah I know. Like I said though, I don't really have much of a choice. No available 230V line. I have to wait a little longer to get a welder, though. Found something else I can't pass up, and will set me back a couple hundred.

Technical question: What is the limiting factor on a welder's amperage output? I know the transformer is the primary one, but is there anything else that can't take higher amperage? Are there any FETs in a welder? Bridge rectifier? Cables? What?

And no, I would not get a flux only welder. I knew that from the beginning.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

MarshallMiller

Get the highest output 110v welder you can get. I prefer Miller welders as well as most professionals. Airgas is a popular welding supply chain. Bottles are basically rented so you buy the bottle then buy the gas and exchange the bottle each refill. My medium size bottle was 100 plus about 30-40 for a refill. It all adds up, the welder is just the start of the costs. Remember don't skimp on the accessories. Things you'll want/need:

Welpers - Basically pliers that do everything from cut the wire the right length to help changing/cleaning tips

Welding gloves

Welding mask

Welding cart

assorted tips

assorted wire sizes

wire brushes

3" angle grinder with wire brush and grinder attachments

90degree magnets

scrap metal for practice and to get settings dialed in

large C vice grips

and the list goes on...

marylandbob

Many USA/Canada apartments DO have 230/240 volt, 30 ampere outlets, as ELECTRIC DRYERS for laundry are usually powered by this voltage! (Not so for GAS dryers)
An advantage of 230/240 volt welders is that for a given amperage, the ARC VOLTAGE is likely to be higher in the 230/240 volt model, giving easier use, and more stable operation.--Bigger/better/more expensive and higher voltage can make work easier, with the longer arc distance. If there is an electric dryer outlet, unplug the dryer, and plug a suitable extension cable (Typically 10guage copper, and get an electrician to assist, if you are not skilled), with matching 240 volt plug into the outlet, and use the welder! --Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage