How do you test a SLA?

1 reply [Last post]

I'm not sure if my 12V 12Ah batteries are any good. I pulled them out of the case and put them individually on a 12V charger. They seemed to take a charge like normal, high rate at first and then drop to a trickle after a while. I then put them on a 100A load tester. Turned it on for 10 seconds and the voltage never dropped below 10. This tells me they are good, but when I put them in the bike I get only one light out of five and when I use the power it will not last for more then a minute.

Do you guys have any idea what could be happening?

Thanks, Deron.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Re: How do you test a SLA?

The bike is a Giant LaFree. I picked up two for a steal of $100.00.

1) One battery pack works excellent in both bikes so I know it's not the bikes.

2) My load test tested each individual 12 V pack, 100 amps for 10 seconds, with the voltage not dropping below 10.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I need to do some more intensive testing. That idea of a couple of bulbs and running it for quite a few minutes should tell me a lot more then a short (not shorted short test, just a short test) test.

One other thing, are the LED's telling me a voltage? One being low (whatever that is) and five being full voltage around twenty six volts. If that is true, when I first put the battery in the bike, after making sure the batteries are all charged up, I would think I should get five LED's instead of one I have been getting.

Deron.

Deron.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Short URL

Customize This