electric conversion tomnerlin/sachs madass with cyclone taiwan 1000w

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
glerwill
electric conversion tomnerlin/sachs madass with cyclone taiwan 1000w

hi,
i have been thinking about converting a secondhand 50cc madass http://www.tomberlin.net/tomberlinoutdoor/madass.htm for approx £300 and changing the motor to the cyclone 1000w http://www.cyclone-tw.com/dc24.htm - part way down page. my intended purpose is short range commuting - get through the silly traffic we have here in hereford(less than 20 miles a day), on the flat and i like speed! The cyclone setup seems to want pedals and gearing (see fitting instrs) and i was thinking about 'misusing' a geared rear cycle hub (with freewheel) e.g. www.sram.com 3, 5, 7 or 9 gears. The use of the madass leads me to think that i would lave little difficulty in registering it as a road going vehicle - unfortunately i cant think of a way of making it legal in uk for cyclepaths as well - 200w, weight limit and 15 mph is too draconian!

I would welcome any guidance/experience in the areas of gearing and battery choice for this motor/conversion. My alternative if the misuse of the rear geared hub 'in the middle' is no good is cutting up an existing bike to get the axle that the gears go on

thanks in advance

graham

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
This thing don't like your subject, so I'm using this.

*blows milk out nose*

*gack*a, ha, ha, h*choke*, ha! Madass!

*calms down*

Okay, let's see...

First: Motor. You're in the right ballpark. Unfortunately, there is a huge power gap in between scooter motor sizes. It goes up to about 1200 watts and then makes a huge jump to something like an Etek. There are motors sized between those, but they seem to be somewhat unavailable and aren't worth the cash. I'd probably see if I could rig up two 1000 watters or so, which would give you a continuous power level nearly equivalent to the original engine, and way higher for shorter durations.

A C-lyte or similar might also work for you, but you wouldn't be able to use gears. With an external motor, you might be able to salvage the transmission from the ICE for a better efficiency band.

Controller: Up to you, really. Whatever will run the motor/s (reliably) should work fine.

Batteries: This is gonna be your problem. It will likely prove difficult to work out a way to attach them to that frame. Unless you can weld, in which case you can probably work something out with relative ease.
As for a rating, "whatever you can fit on the thing" is the general rule (mine, anyway). Or if you go with something other than SLA, "whatever your wallet can take".

Legality: Since I don't live anywhere near your continent, I am unfamiliar with your road laws (hell, I'm unfamiliar with mine). But generally, it's easier to get something manufactured registered than it is something you put together yourself.

What's the deal with conversions? Can you register the original ICE (insert vehicle of choice here) and then convert it without further *ahem* paperwork? Something tells me that won't fly...

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

glerwill
Re: electric conversion tomberlin/sachs madass

Hi,
since my first post on this subject, I have bought a secondhand 'madass' on ebay for £360/$700. The weight of the madass is 85KG before taking the petrol engine off/putting the electric motor/batteries (lipo from cyclone) on. I got a sachs 3x7 internally geared hub (for a mountain bike) for £26. The internal ratios of this hub is 1:0.73, 1:1 and 1:1.36 - but it allows the fitting of a gear casette (up to 7?) on splines. Wheels on the madass are 16" with a front sprocket with 11 teeth and a rear sprocket with 53 teeth (420 chain 116 links). The concept is to go from the cyclone motor to the geared hub with one chain and then from the geared hub to the rear wheel. The cyclone specifications are:
Max speed 3223Rpm
* Rated speed 4111Rpm
* Rated output 1050 W
* Max output 1855.9W
* Rated Torque 83.46Kg-cm
* Max Torque 98.36Kg-cm
* Rated Amp 29.52A
* Insulation class E class
* External Driver
* Control method PWM
*Ambient temperature -15C~40C *Efficiency: 93.23%
* weight 4.8 Kg

I dont know how to work out the gearing and would welcome any suggestions or input.

thanks

Graham

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage