Apartment dweller - thinking of buying electric scoot or gas scoot

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
boyelectric
Apartment dweller - thinking of buying electric scoot or gas scoot

Although I am handy and can fix most things, I have concerns that as an apartment dweller, I may not have the adequate facilities to deal with the headaches of an electric scooter/motorcycle seems to have. I love electric vehicles, and don't mind the tinker quality of them. But due to circumstances, I may be trying to dive into something I cannot handle at this time.

Here are my issues:
1) I do NOT have the ability to charge at the apartment (no elevator), only at work (5 miles away).
2) No inside parking at the apt; scooter must stay outside, chained up, subjected to rain, other weather, and vandals.
3) No covered/inside area to tear the thing apart and rebuild.

Am I being stupid to keep trying to get another electric scooter? Currently I am looking at the 1500-3000 watt range, like EVT R20, etc., or in the direction of a gas scooter like a Honda Metropolitan or Yamaha Vino classic (both under 50cc). I am 225lbs, and I have to contend with hills, so my current electric scooter, an XB-600 isn't cutting the mustard on the hills; I will be probably selling it to my father, who lives in flat country.

Please advise? Dissuade me from my dreams of electrified mobility, if necessary.

Thanks!

davew
davew's picture
Re: Apartment dweller - thinking of buying electric scoot or gas

I would agree that any scooter but especially an electric one is not a good choice for an apartment dweller for the reasons already mentioned. With a 5-mile commute, however, you would be a good candidate for an electric bike. This could be carried to your apartment and charged inside. An ebike is not a no-work commute like a scooter, but it's much easier than an ordinary bike. I had an escooter and an ebike for a year and eventually decided to sell the scooter. It was more trouble than it was worth. With the bike I get more route choices (hello sidewalks!), more hauling capacity, and the ability to keep it indoors both at home and at work. I've been ebike-only for over a year now and it's great.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

PJD
PJD's picture

Few things you could try that come to mind...

Any outdoor outlets around the apt. building(s).

Any chance the Resident Mgr would be amenable to usage of an outlet?

Is there a friend nearby who would loan you a charging spot?

Or, maybe a small self-storage place nearby - You could rig a plug adapter to the light fixture in it...

andrew
andrew's picture

boyelectric,
I agree with davew. An ebike would probably suite your needs much better. As for your XB-600 not cutting it, I noticed the scooter itself is very heavy at 184 lbs. You can try some modifications. If the motor is not getting hot, only warm, than a controller upgrade may help considerably.

The x-treme XB-600 listing page lists the "amps" as 48 amps. But there's no way to really tell how much current your scooter is drawing and how the controller is performing without measuring the current under load. Under full load the controller should be drawing at least about 15 amps to allow for full continuous output power of the motor. However the motor can most likely put out more power, maybe as much as 2x safely for the hills (though I can't say for sure).

You may find a controller upgrade does the trick nicely. These chinese manufacturers often under size the controller for the motor because they sell the scooter based on the continuous rating of the motor. But without a suitable controller you might as well have a much weaker motor.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

DonCristobal
DonCristobal's picture

BoyElectric, where do you live?

Don Cristobal
EVTA Z-20b
---
Ohm is where the heart is.

boyelectric

I am in the Seattle area. According to what I have read:

Extracts from 46.04 RCW (Revised Code of Washington)

"Electric-assisted bicycle means a bicycle with two or three wheels, a saddle, fully operative pedals for human propulsion, and an electric motor. The electric-assisted bicycle's electric motor must have a power output of no more than one thousand Watts, be incapable of propelling the device at a speed of no more than twenty miles per hour on level ground, and incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the device beyond twenty miles per hour."

The new federal law is similar to Washington state law. It restricts power to 750 Watts.

Sooooo,

What are your favorite electric bikes?

gushar

I think the XB600 weighs 134 lbs...as I recall reading somewhere. Of course mine does seem a bit heavier than that.

Anyway, you probably do need something bigger regardless of gas or electric.

I'd be interested in knowing how long you've had your XB600 and how it's been....any breakdowns, etc. I certainly know you'd have a problem going up steep hills. I'm in the flatlands so it's not a problem for me...although there are a couple of short steep hills here. My XB600 pulls right on up them...but then I don't weigh but 115 lbs soaking wet!

And are you saying that you leave the XB600 outdoors all the time...in rain, etc.? I'd really like to know about that too. I've wondered just how "water resistant" they are...the XB600s???? I keep mine in my storage building out of the weather and never ride it in rain...so I have no idea. Can you tell me what your experience is with rain?

Private message me if you will or just reply back here if you would be as so kind to answer my questions...

I think these other guys who responded had some good ideas to help you stay electric. Hope you can. Good luck!

Gushar

Gus

davew
davew's picture

What are your favorite electric bikes?

I am a huge fan of Bionx. It's a kit that you mount on the donor bike of your choice. The full-power lithium-ion version, which I strongly recommend, is about $1400. It's a bit pricey, but I've been using one almost daily for two years now and I still love it. The battery shows no appreciable signs of wear. You can mount it on a mountain bike for a conventional setup. If you want something smaller, lighter, and more portable you can get a BionX already mounted on a Dahon or Xootr folding bicycle from NYCEWheels.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

boyelectric

Well, I am re-examining the electric-assist bicycle route again. I am looking at a crystalyte phoenix motor on a cheap bike frame, with a LiPO battery pack, coupled with a high torque controller; ie: not really high speed (20mph), but great hill climber. weight is high, but much less than the xb600.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage