Anyone know about Evader electric moped + Other Newbe questions

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ricardo
Anyone know about Evader electric moped + Other Newbe questions

Hi All

I am considering getting some of these electric bikes and have been researching for quite some time now.

Been looking at various models including Zapino, Evader, EVT and various ones manufactured by Mr. Mountain Chen.

Can someone please correct or assert my assumption and maybe answer some questions, so that I can get it right.

Are LifePo4 and GreenSaver batteries the same ?
Are thick plate batteries better than thin and how can I tell them apart?
Are there any other considerations regarding batteries ?
How long will they last and would they be expensive to replace ?

I have read around about bank charging. I assume this speeds-up the charging time, but does it have a drawback, like maybe reducing battery life?

How long does it take to recharge these batteries, with and without bank charging?
Could someone go to a charging point and get any reasonable measure of charge in say, 5 minutes. Like going to the garage and adding some extra fuel withouit filling up.

Does anyone know who manufactures the EVADER. they seem to be the most powerfull so far, 3500Watts. Does this give them a speed or range advantage?
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/1677
Is this bike already available and does anyone have experience with it ?
I noted that it has a brush motor, does this mean that a brushless, like Mountian's, would give the same preformace at 2500-3000W?

As you can probably tell, I am by no means a genious, in this area :), and would really appreciate any pointers to help me avoid common pitfalls.

Many thanks

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Anyone know about Evader electric moped + Other Newbe questi

Are LifePo4 and GreenSaver batteries the same ?

No. LiFePo4 are a variant of lithium-ion batteries which use Iron (the 'Fe') and Phosphate (the 'PO4') in the chemistry. Lithium-ion batteries tend to blow up.. in 2006 there was a lot of hoopla about exploding laptops and cell phones. I dunno about you, but I don't want to have a prone-to-explode battery pack on a bike or scooter where the batteries are sitting between my legs.

Greensaver are a silicone based chemistry that's a variant of lead-acid. I don't know as much about them as I might but supposedly these have some advantages over normal lead-acid.

How long will they last and would they be expensive to replace ?

This varies a lot from chemistry to chemistry.

Normal lead acid is supposed to last for approx 300 charge/use cycles.. they're the most affordable but they also have the least energy density and it may be that if you amortize cost over charge cycles and other factors that they're more expensive even though the up-front cost is less.

Lithium based chemistries are much better in power density, energy density, and claims for number of charge cycles. But they're more expensive. But as I said maybe if you amortize the cost you'll find it's less expensive.

I have read around about bank charging. I assume this speeds-up the charging time, but does it have a drawback, like maybe reducing battery life?

One guy here has focused on bank charging as the solution to all his problems. I tend to agree with him but it may not be the be-all-end-all solution. In any case it's not about speeding up charging time but instead making sure each battery is more correctly charged. In pack charging (what this other guy calls 'string' charging) the charge might not get distributed evenly through the pack. With bank charging you have individual chargers per battery and assuming that each charger runs right it's going to result in a more evenly charged pack. And a pack that is more evenly charged will tend to last longer.

The drawback is carrying around n chargers on your vehicle rather than just one charger.

Your vehicle may or may not be able to carry n chargers. For example the motorcycle I'm building right now I'm scratching my head over how to carry 5 chargers (60 volt pack) because there's essentially zero cargo capacity on this bike.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage