What Is Your Cell Service Provider?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture
What Is Your Cell Service Provider?

Trying to thin out a list of cell phone service providers, and wanting to know the popular ones.

I've T-Mobile prepaid; 25¢/minute calls, 15¢ per text message, incoming or outgoing. I pay about $5-10/month.

gowens
gowens's picture
Re: What Is Your Cell Service Provider?

In my opinion Verizon is the best.
I have tried just about every cellular provider and
they have the best coverage.

I can use it anywhere.

Can you hear me now :)

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I have Verizon. Family plan with three lines. Chose them about 9 years ago and then just stuck with them ever since.

Costs about $100 per month. Is it "worth it"? Probably not...

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

I don't even have a phone.

And what's the deal with the prepaid thing? I'm in an argument with Parental Unit F about whether I could get phone service for the $5-10 a month you say you get (plus the initial cost of the phone, of course).

I pretty much use the phone for nothing more than communication of my current location, and I suppose it would come in handy for whatever emergencies arise. To give you an idea of how little I talk, my record for longest phone conversation is a whopping 15min. Most of what I'd be doing is playing with the phone's camera :P.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

This is my phone:

//i.walmart.com/i/p/00/61/02/14/61/0061021461354_215X215.jpg) http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5420757

$40, comes with something like 30 minutes already on it. Have to call customer service first to have it activated, all materials are included in the package including a plug-in charger for home use, vehicle charger available.

This is my second T-Mobile phone in 5 years. The buttons on the first one went bad last year and I got this as the replacement. T-Mobile has little SIM card that you pull out of one phone and can use on another and your phone number is attached to that SIM. I've had the same number for all this time. 99% of my phone usage is for texting only - when I do make a call I can put this on a very loud speakerphone (early days of [insert-lifestyle-here] ruined my hearing ;) ). Vibrate is my friend.

Nothing fancy on this besides a built-in FM radio. Has email ability (phone-number@tmomail.net), Aim, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo IM, and a few other things. I use the prepaid cards to recharge minutes; come in $10, $25, $50 and $100. For $10 I get about 35 minutes which will usually last me about a month or two as most of my texting is, "What time are you coming home" type things. Phone cards are available all over the place; WalMart, Bash's/Fry's, Safeway, Albertsons, CircleK, Target. You can also recharge your minutes from the phone itself by calling free customer service and charging it to your credit/debit card.

Again, 25 cents/minute for calls where ever I go in the US, to where ever else in the US. Cell coverage stops abruptly right at the US/Mexico border. I'm guessing cell coverage can be expanded into MX and Canada, but if I'm out of the US it's usually to disconnect anyway. I can use calling cards with this phone for international calls from the US, but that's the 25 cents/minute plus the cost per minute of the calling card.

I think it's a really good deal for someone like me who doesn't use it much. Seems to be a BIG waste of money having to pay $30-100 per month on a 2 year contract for a phone I'll hardly use. It's also good if your on a budget - no way to overspend.

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Oh, you're talking about cell phones. I thought you were asking about battery cell service and wanted to know what kind of service could be performed on a battery?

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

Geez David, get you mind out of the charger. :)

<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...

davew
davew's picture

I have T-Mobile prepaid. I give them $100 per year and they give me 1000 minutes. The minutes I don't use roll over. Last year I only used about 100 minutes so right now I have 1838 left. (My typical phone call: "Hi, Honey. I'm running about 10 minutes late. I'll meet you at Protos. Okay? Love you. Bye". This happens about twice a month.) This is the best deal on the planet for people like me who mostly use it for emergencies and don't need roaming off of T-Mobile's network.

--

To keep this mildly relevant, I suggest turning off the cell phone while ebiking. Or at least not trying to answer it. This has happened to me twice. There is barely enough time to get stopped safely and pull the phone out of wherever. I nearly missed seeing a car once when I was fiddling with it. Not good.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

Alias

Well thought i'd jump in here, I have to agree with Gowens; Verizon is definetly the best service around.
Personally I do not experience any problems with dropped calls and I have had their service since 2001 :)
Their customer service and technical support is also awesome.
I can even get reception in some parts of the tunnels (underground) of the Bart stations :)
I personally don't care for cingular who was once At&t.
Oh and especially Sprint who also merged with Nextel
I personally can't stand Nextel, that is a company that you want to stay away from.
They have the most dropped calls and since I have a Nextel for work, that's what I experience.
blah. But that's just my opinion ;)

How many bars do you have????

Alias

Okay never mind I'll shutup now 8)

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Actually AT&T's the new service - Cingular is the old service - and my cell phone says "Cingular" on it and I'm rather happy with them. Not ecstatic. Not that I would generally recommend them to anybody. Just happy. I don't know why everybody complains about them, they seem real decent to me.

e.g. I was hiking at Multnomah Falls park near Portland OR last summer ... this is well outside Portland, and way up a mountain, in a side valley pretty far back. Not only was I getting reception, but I got a phone call while up there.

andrew
andrew's picture

Trying to thin out a list of cell phone service providers, and wanting to know the popular ones.

I've T-Mobile prepaid; 25¢/minute calls, 15¢ per text message, incoming or outgoing. I pay about $5-10/month.

Looks like a good deal, but not very practical if one doesn't have a home phone. I'm on a group plan through Verizon for about $45/mo with unlimited to others in the group, and lots of minutes that I don't use. The service is usually pretty good, but not perfect. I haven't tried another service to compare.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

You don't have a home phone? Seriously? Whoa. Freaky.

Anyway, must look into prepaid service providers. *groan* Meaning that I'll be going through a lot of terms and conditions info. At least I'm better at interpreting it than most.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

I think andrew is confusing prepaid service with prepaid phone cards. Totally different.

As for terms and conditions - there are none. Pay as you go. Just that simple.

When I first got on with T-Mobile, I was dropping calls all the time. I talked to their customer service and they told me to take my phone back to Walmart and exchange it with another - now no more problems. Apparently there was something wrong with the first phone, not T-Mobile. I get service almost everywhere.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Uh.. I haven't had a 'home phone' since 1999. I've kept the same cell phone number over the years since then and despite moving several times since then everybody can reach me because it's the same phone number. What is the attraction to having a regular phone line? None that I can see.

Well, okay, there is one - I sometimes work remotely and still have to call into meetings at work. An hour meeting uses up a large portion of the anytime minutes in the cell phone plan, and it's easy to run out. I bought into Vonage VoIP service, it gives me a widget that acts for all intents and purposes like a regular phone line, I can use this to call into meetings w/o using cell phone minutes, and the illusion of being a regular phone is good until I do some heavy web surfing while on the phone. Since VoIP service runs over my Internet service using Internet bandwidth makes the phone call suffer.

If I move again then the VoIP number can go with me.

Really, what's the advantage to having your phone number tied to where you live?

What's the advantage to having to change phone numbers every time you move?

What's freaky is the times I leave my home phone at work. Since my cell phone is my home phone it's possible to leave it somewhere accidentally.

andrew
andrew's picture

It has been a while since I checked but a phone line where I live is something like $15/mo plus taxes (not really legit taxes, but BS taxes), plus the hookup fee, and any applicable deposit. And that doesn't include long distance which is extra. So overall it might come to $23/mo. On top of that, you need to buy the phone. Of course, cell service doesn't compare to a LAN line due to the way it is compressed (cell service is kind of like VoIP from what I understand, in that it is broken down into packs and compressed, and data is multiplexed with other cell phone users data).

With a cellphone that doubles as my home phone I can be contacted anytime, and I don't need to worry that much about how much I use it. I have broadband internet, so I can use Skype to make outgoing calls to phones anywhere in the US from my apartment for about 2 cents/min.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

$15/month + taxes = $23?!

LMFAO, where do you live? In this area it's $20/month + taxes >= $40.

I don't understand your argument in your two posts. Who is your cell phone service provider?

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Oh sorry, I just realized I never answered your question:

You asked "What is your cell service provider?"

My cell service provider is the company (legal business entity) that provides me with cell phone service (but only when the planets align).

Now, why were you asking?

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

Okay, "Whom" - sorry I don't speak Engrish.

Why? Because I'm nosy. :)

Okay, it's because the script I'm coding to send SMS to cell phones - I just want to make sure I cover all the popular providers so I don't get emails later complaining as to why I didn't include their's.

My thinned list:

Alltel Wireless
Boost Mobile
Cingular
Cricket
Dobson
Helio
Qwest
Sprint (PCS)
Sprint (Nextel)
T-Mobile
Verizon
Virgin Mobile

The bigger list:

Alaska Communications Systems
Alaska Wireless
Alltel
Appalchian Wireless
AT&T
Bluegrass Cellular
Cellcom
Cellular One of San Luis Obispo
Cellular South
CellularOne
Centennial Wireless
Cincinnati Bell
Copper Valley
Edge Wireless
Einstein Wireless
Helio
MetroPCS
Midwest Wireless
Nextel
nTelos
Omnipoint
Qwest
SouthernLINC Wireless
Sprint
SRT WIRELESS
SunCom Wireless
SureWest
T-Mobile
Unicel
US Cellular
Verizon
Virgin Mobile
Western Wireless

The GIANT list:
http://www.livejournal.com/tools/textmessage.bml?mode=details

Use code&quot;Solar22&quot; and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage