Speaking of bugs...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture
Speaking of bugs...

I'm getting tired of receiving a group of messages telling me of new posts to threads I've subscribed to... up to hours after the fact. It's like the messages are getting saved for a long while, then dumped at me all at once.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Speaking of bugs...

There are two aspects to control this. First, in your 'My Account' page there is a tab for Subscriptions. You can control the Subscriptions you have through there.

Second, the frequency the notifications is set is controlled by a crontab entry I have on the server. er.. Crontab.. er.. That's a background scheduling thing and it runs housekeeping tasks in the background on the server. Generally those are tasks that take longer to execute and have to be run every so often.

In the Subscriptions settings you can request Subscriptions updates "as soon as possible" or "hourly" or "daily". If you really want immediate grati..er..notification then just change your subscriptions settings to "As soon as possible".

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

I'm wanting instant gratification, baby!

All 83 subscribed threads are already set to ASAP.

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

reikiman
reikiman's picture

ASAP

You do realize that "as soon as possible" has a loose meaning, don't you?

Seriously... I just looked at the source and it appears that the only time it sends the notification is on the cron run. I'm rather confused by that because they suggest an every 15 minute time slot, which would mean cron runs on some site are at 15 minute intervals? I am keeping cron runs at 5 times a day to minimize server load, and I'm splitting cron runs between each of the sites running on this server so that I don't have them overlapping between sites.

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

I saw your other post mentioning crons and I understand.

Why someone would program a server intensive act into a forum I don't understand. And it was working fine a while back, like earlier in the year.

No big problem. Is there a way to turn off any future notifications? Keep me from subscribing to things when I post...

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

reikiman
reikiman's picture

All of your subscriptions are in the subscriptions tab of your account page... soo...

Why someone would program a server intensive act into a forum I don't understand. And it was working fine a while back, like earlier in the year.

Drupal does a lot more than just 'forum' but in any case there are various back end processes that can happen. One of course wants page refreshes to be as quick as possible which means each page refresh should do as little as possible and there are various things you can farm off to a background process.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage