Mitsubishi i MiEV Electric Closer to Real

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
davew
davew's picture
Mitsubishi i MiEV Electric Closer to Real

//www.treehugger.com/mitsubishi-imiev-2008-01.jpg)

In the horse race between plug-in hybrids like the Volt and the coming Prius and pure electrics like the Mitsubishi and whatever-Zap-is-planning-this-month-but-don't-hold-your-breath, I'm rooting for the pure electrics. I have zero interest in hauling around all that infernal combustion falderal. If you held my cat hostage and forced me to choose a hybrid the series design like the Volt is the best of the lot. At least the whole drive train is electric. The motor is only a small generator so should be light and simple and efficient. But still, who needs it? A car that gets me up to 65mph and can get me to nearby towns is all I need. And for that I don't need or want gasoline. Actually I don't really want a car at all, but it would be enough to lure my wife away from her stinking gasser and prevent me from making frowny faces when we want to go places not close and not well served by mass transit.

So I am delighted to forward the information from Treehugger that the Mitsubishi seems to be coming along. It is gratifying to see that they are already up and running with prototypes and making improvements based on real world data. It's also nice to see a company finish and test a product before selling it. How refreshing! Treehugger's source guesses 2010 for commercial sales. All I can say is I hope so. I also hope they have lots of competition.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Mitsubishi i MiEV Electric Closer to Real

I'm with you Dave (well apart from the frowny face thing - my Mum told me my face would stick like that if the wind changed and I always believe my Mum!). PHEVs suck and BEVs rock!

Although I'm conflicted on the whole plug in series hybrid thing. On the one hand I agree - it's actually a step backwards in some regards (one engineer to the other: "instead of one system let's put in two systems - just think of the complexity we can add!" the other "they'll never go for it" the first "sure they will just tell them it gets 100mpg and they'll be dead impressed with our l33t enjuneering skillz - besides joe public don't know nuffink about enjuneering like wot we do...").

However, on the other hand perhaps it's a bit like giving people fake heroin to help ween them away from their addiction? A million Priuses (Prii?) on the road is better than a million (insert the vehicle you love to hate here).

BTW, every real car company "finish and test a product before selling it" - it's only the crazy wannabes like Zap that make crazy claims and ask for $25000 deposits for vaporware. So your "refreshing to see" line is a little out of place.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

gushar

Yeah I understand the reason for the gas engine. I think it's really "psychological" too. Acceptance of innovations takes a certain path...and I think this movement that needs to happen, sooner than later, away from gasoline will come via some kind of hybrids...to pure electric...predominantly. I just hope they make that generator gas motor such that it can sit unused for a long time with old gas in the system from having been run previously! I can just envision that since the overwhelming majority of commuting will only use the electric...that the gas engine will sit for long periods of time unused...with old gas in the tank, etc. Then, when the person finally decides they need to use it on an extended drive...lo and behold the generator (motor) won't run!!!! And just like with all these "hurricane" generators where I live...most owners will not have a clue as to why this motor that they have used only once a long time ago...fails to work!
:-)

Gushar

Gus

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I just hope they make that generator gas motor such that it can sit unused for a long time with old gas in the system from having been run previously!

Yeah I've often wondered about that too. My guess is that a system flush will be part of some sort of periodic maintenance performed by the $tealer (aka dealer). Or perhaps the system will be smart enough to start up the engine once a month or so.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

davew
davew's picture

BTW, every real car company "finish and test a product before selling it" - it's only the crazy wannabes like Zap that make crazy claims and ask for $25000 deposits for vaporware. So your "refreshing to see" line is a little out of place.

I should have been clearer. I have no love for Zap. They are excellent at announcing products, but little of what they announce sees the light of day. The reason I mentioned Zap is they seem more serious than usual about having a full-on electric car in a few years if the deal with Lotus works out. What I was obliquely referring to was the sort of products that we discuss around here all the time. They are always fine in concept and usually fairly good in design, they just get sold a year or two before they are really ready. Most of what we buy and ride would be considered a prototype by any established automobile company.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

davew
davew's picture

I just hope they make that generator gas motor such that it can sit unused for a long time with old gas in the system from having been run previously!

This is a very good point. If I bought a Volt, and I'm not completely ruling that out although it would pain me a lot, my goal would be to never use the gasoline. And I know that gasoline changes composition over time. My reward for being frugal would be a motor that wouldn't start when I did have an emergency. Great.

I recently read a report on Google's fleet of plug-in and stock Priuses. (Prii?) Any way the plugins were only getting 20% less carbon footprint. I'm sorry, but that blows. The raw fuel economy without counting the electricity was only 32% better. This has to mean the drivers were consistently taking the cars beyond their battery-only range. I'm certain I could live well within the Volt's 40 mile battery-only range, but I'm wondering how much it would do for the typical American? (At least if Google's drivers can be considered typical.)

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

Dennis
Dennis's picture

I'm sure series hybrid cars will have a required minimun run time for its ICE generator. I drive a dual fuel compressed natural gas and gasoline truck at work. In order to make sure both systems operate properly, I have to drive in gasoline mode at least once every 3 weeks and I have to use up a full tank of gasoline in that time.
In my opinion, vehicles of the future should have low drag and are light and efficient, like the Aptera. www.aptera.com. I'd much rather see a million Apteras on the road than Priuses that weigh a hefty 2932 lbs. A vehicle that heavy is not very energy efficient compared to the claimed sub 800 lb Aptera. I guess if you compare the Priuses to all the other ICE tanks that are on the road today, then they are a good start towards the future. To me the Chevy Volt's shape is dated, it lacks the aero futuristic shape of their scraped EV1. If they could only remanufacture the EV1 and offer them in both a battery electric or a series hybrid drive train, then you will have a real efficient commuter vehicle of the future.
Did you know the Aptera's original design was with tandem seating? That would have been an amazingly efficient vehicle. Because they were afraid the general public will not purchase a vehicle with such a radical design, the designers made a compromise. I just do not see a need for personal commuter vehicles to carry more than two people. It makes no sense if you are looking for the most fuel efficient vehicle possible. I used to commute to work 100 miles round trip on a 600cc motorcycle. In those 8 years, I always used the car pool lane. Generally, I would have the entire lane to myself, while the non carpool freeway lanes were conjested. From general observation during those years of commuting, commuters in California do not like to car pool. What I hated to see most of all was all of those single driver 4000 lb plus tanks that can carry 7 or more passengers on the conjested freeways taking up almost the entire lane, especially when I needed to split the lanes during a traffic jam. I hope Aptera is not just vaporware and that they eventually accomplish what they set out to do.
Others with the same idea! Found this on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZiVxRrfvoM, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZwB-rskMAU&feature=related. More light vehicles on the road like these will make the road safer for all light effcient vehicles, whether it's a motorcycle, Aptera etc ...... Note the long haul truck that passed the Trev with 3 trailers!!

IbeRKT

In my opinion, vehicles of the future should have low drag and are light and efficient, like the Aptera. www.aptera.com. I'd much rather see a million Apteras on the road than Priuses that weigh a hefty 2932 lbs. A vehicle that heavy is not very energy efficient compared to the claimed sub 800 lb Aptera.

While I do agree that the next wave of Ev's need to be light weight I'm not sure that the Aptera is the way to go.

With it's "Space Age" look the Aptera may appeal to Sci-Fi crowd but I don't think it will go over very well with the masses.

I do think you were on to something with the idea of bringing back the EV1. Now that car was light with good aerodynamics but at the same it time had more of a "traditional" car shape.

Dennis
Dennis's picture

When the brainless masses have to purchase gasoline at $4.00 or more per gallon, the traditional car shape will no longer matter. Especially if they are looking for a single or two person commuter car. I personally find the functional aerodyamic shape beautiful, like a streamlined dolphin or tuna. Wasn't the Ford model T a traditional car shape?

IbeRKT

When the brainless masses have to purchase gasoline at $4.00 or more per gallon, the traditional car shape will no longer matter. Especially if they are looking for a single or two person commuter car.

That is a logical argument but I think that it underestimates the depth of shallowness (yes I just made that phrase up) that we are dealing with here.

For most people today (at least in the USA) a car is not just a mode of transportation it is a status symbol. It is not just about getting from point A to point B. It is also about looking good while you are getting there.

I know it is sad but a great majority of people don't care how it works or if it's more cost effective, or even if it's good for the environment. Yes it is shallow and juvenile but people seem to care more about image, status, and power.

In other words they want to be able to burn rubber and look good doing it.

Yes there are exceptions I know. There are a growing number of people who at least have the desire to be Eco Friendly but at least for now they are in the Minority and we need an EV that can appeal to the Majority (that's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth).

reikiman
reikiman's picture

When the brainless masses have to purchase gasoline at $4.00 or more per gallon

There are stations in California today selling Diesel @ above $4.00 ... See: http://origin.mercurynews.com/valley/ci_8519917

In the 1970's the gas prices were "high" for quite awhile, and that period did affect the type of cars being purchased. If you look at a chart of oil production over the years you'll see a dip in production levels occurred with the bottom of the dip in 1982. Ronnie Raygun being elected meant the solar panels being removed from the white house and a return to fuel-wasting vehicles.

Dennis
Dennis's picture

We'll just have to wait and see what the general public will accept as a mode of transportation when they are actually given a choice to choose. But there is nothing like simple economics. Even with gasoline at $3.00 a gallon, I am not seeing SUV's fly off dealer lots like Priuses.

The Aptera to me would appeal to the image crowd that craves attention, Tesla has the power, status and burn rubber crowd covered, and then there are the assorted Hybrids for toy and people hauling.

I could only see cleaner air in my future.

" Ronnie Raygun " :D :D :D the impotent father of the star wars program.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

I am not seeing SUV's fly off dealer lots like Priuses.

That reminds me ... ?yesterday? I read an article about the Hummer being canceled by GM..? And for what it's worth the Silicon Valley Hummer dealership now has a sign saying they're going out of business. This same dealership approx 2 yrs ago had a sign offering a $1.99 gas price gaurantee, if you recall a couple years ago GM/Hummer promised to protect buyers from rising gas prices by refunding any cost over $1.99. That's one of those "great" business moves that surely has been a pain in the backside for them.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage