Should I buy

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
ta-daa
Should I buy

Hey guys
Just curious if you guys would still recommend the r-20, being that it has had some problems.
Thanks
DG

andrew
andrew's picture
Re: Should I buy

I recommend waiting and seeing if EVT America will use the customer feedback to improve their product. Even though their good people (IMO), don't trust what they say, trust what they are doing. Maybe in time we'll see some improvements in their quality and better reviews.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

gowens
gowens's picture

Yes, and I would buy one again.

There have no doubt been some problems. But we are seeing only a small sampling here of the 100+ that have been sold.

In addition, some of the people piping in here do not even own an EVT Z-20 or R-20, they are just spewing based on what is written here and have no personal experience with one.

My R-20 is and has been running well since I got it. It has exceeded my expectations. I have to admit that I have not owned an electric vehicle before, only a Vespa ET-2. The R-20 rivals the performance of the Vespa except for the range. But that is not an issue for me.

Anyway, I still think it is a good buy and worthy of consideration when evaluating the options available today.

mikejuv

I wouldn't recommend one until they have fixed the bugs, quality control issues, and replaced the bad components. The Z20/R20 are new models, and sadly they reflect it. I guess electric scooters are similar to a Windows upgrade - wait until the service pack comes out before installing.

Here's a short list of the Z20/R20 problems where evidence has been provided on this forum:
- Need bank charging to extend battery life (needed on any electric scooter)
- Need PakTracker or other device to monitor battery health/activity (needed on any electric scooter)
- The controller appears to be crap
- Need to replace the tire because they used a smaller tire to make it appear to be going faster than it really is
- Need to check all the wiring when you get it to make sure it is all connected, not cut, etc.
- The kickstand cutout/alarm is crap and causes problems
- The plastic breaks easily when it's cold

The Z20a is my first electric vehicle, so I don't have any other model to compare it to. From what I found online when I made my decision to buy, all the other models appear to have their own problems and limitations, and there isn't a consensus on the best model for a first time buyer. So no matter which brand you get, my guess is that you will have some upgrading to do and will be getting your hands a little dirty if you want to maximize your experience and reduce long term costs.

The problems themselves aren't what bother me, as so far they are addressable. I understand it is a new model and can deal with it. However, I don't like marketing hype and missed promises that aren't communicated. The failure of EVT to acknowledge problems and more openly communicate with their customers is starting to get to me.

Even with all that said, for me the bike is about what I expected, a moderate gamble that will help me learn about electric vehicles and hopefully be a useful vehicle for running errands when I'm too lazy to use my bicycle. I have a brother serving in Iraq, and I had to do something to reduce my gas consumption. With the Z20 costing $2400 shipped, plus another $700 I've spent on upgrade components, only time will tell if it was worth it.

One last thing - If this forum weren't here - I would say absolutely don't get one. But the forum so far has filled in what EVT has failed to provide - information and tech support.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage