Advice on replacement Evader controller

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
dram38
Advice on replacement Evader controller

Hello. I own a 2004 Evader 100-S- 48v 1000w motor, 3.50 Tire size. I have learned a lot reading the posts here as I knew nothing about electrics before. I am still very much a beginner. I smoked the stock controller and need a replacement. Kelly controllers are reasonable. They have a small, 60V, 100A for $150. Although it appears stronger than the stock, should I go a step up to to the 24V-72V 200A for $280. My aspiration is to add an additional 24v (smaller AmpHr). I have also read that different tires will help with increased speed. Because anything is better than the current top speed of 23-25 mph. I thank you for your advice.

scooter2.jpg

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Advice on replacement Evader controller

Even if you use a higher amp controller than the motor can handle, the Kelly controller can be programmed for different power levels. It has a serial port and you connect your computer to the controller and run software to control the controller.

andrew
andrew's picture

Higher voltage will result in more motor heating. It will also increase brush and commutator wear by both increasing voltage and current. So, its entirely at your own risk. I suggest searching the net, and asking any dealers that carry the Evader scooters if they've known anyone who tried this.

That being said, it is the most effective way to increase top speed. There are a few important considerations:

● How hot is the motor getting now after a ride? If it is getting hot to the touch than increasing the current flow may seriously risk frying the motor.
● How much do you and any cargo you need to carry on the scooter weigh? How does this relate to the GVWR?
● What is your ride profile? Do you mostly ride on flat terrain, or very hilly?

As you can see, all of these factors can effect how much the motor will heat up. This is why the manufacturer engineered in plenty of tolerance into the motor power output limiting the top speed. You may be able to push this limit by a lot, depending on heat buildup. Because heat is the most important factor, I recommend you install a temperature sensor directly on the motor armature wires (which will require disassembly), and mount a temp meter. Also, be sure to check brush condition often to gauge how fast they are wearing so they can be replaced before they wear out. This will save your commutator. Here's a temp sensor and meter:
http://www.evparts.com/catp3-Instruments+...+Street+Vehicle.htm

200°F is probably a safe limit.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Scottmagic

Just to let you know Dram, I have the same scooter. My project has been to upgrade it with a different faster controller and motor. It is almost finished (thanks to Tracy)and really isn't all that hard. I kind of took the crash course, being someone who didn't have much electric knowledge behind them. Let me know if I can be of help.

Scottmagic

Scottmagic

Also, I've got a nasty little picture on one of the threads here of what the Evader 100s brush motor looked like on the inside after owning it for about a year and a half. The magnets inside came loose and kind of formed a little Great Wall of China. Whatever glue they used just didn't hold up. A brushless controller/motor will work better with alot less maintenance. There's a little learning curve moving from the brush to brushless, but not a alot. I think the thread I had was "brush motor repair". Anyway....

scottmagic

Mountain chen

Evader 2004 motor come from Zhejiang Wonderful motor and controller come from Mr Yuan ,Wuxi province.

Not torque at all !

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage