Battery issues--I hope (it's not worse)

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rebbe
Battery issues--I hope (it's not worse)

Hi Everyone:

A little background. I did the very dumb-newby thing that in the first couple of months of riding I did not realize that I need to "shift" down as well as up with the little red biutton...so I mostly rode with the 'boost' engaged.

I also have not ridden in a couple of months...

So now I am having this problem: my batteries appear to charge/be charged

when I ride everything is fine until about 10MPH and then there is a 'click' and the battery meter goes crazy (all the way down-all the way up) and I lose all power until I completely decelerate and then accelerate again until 10 MPH and then "click" and on and on.

1) I am hoping this sounds like a battery problem

2) I am hoping I can get a recommendation for top of the line, most green batteries

3) confirm that the EQ battery modulater-thing is worth getting ...
I think that's about it.

4) will gladly accept any tips on best place to purchase the above components.

thank you very much in advance,
rebbe

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Battery issues--I hope (it's not worse)

1- Yes it sounds like a battery problem. The battery voltage is sagging causing the controller to cut off. Decelerating allows the voltage to rise - you accelerate again and the voltage sags again. Repeat...

2- I'm currently trying to decide between Greensaver SP27-12 from http://www.siliconebatteriesusa.com/ or Thundersky LiFePO4 batteries (likely from Patrick on this forum). People tend to either love or hate the Greensavers - I love 'em and they're a drop in replacement for your bike. The TS's would be more of a gamble and require more work.

3- Yes the BattEQ battery balancer is worth it. However, I'm going to go with bank charging instead. I thikn the BattEQ will be less work to install than bank charging.

Good luck!

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Rebbe

JOhn:
As usual I appreciate your help very much ...

can you [or anyone else out there :) ] guide me through the varieties of batt eq and recommend a specific model? Ditto on the Paktrker--or whatever it's called.

are there any different configurations/varieties of the sp27-12 I should know about?

the charger that came with the scoot: it doesn't seem to reflect anymore that it is "floating" --should I assume that is because the batteries are messed up or could the charger itself be damaged along with the batteries?

thanks again :)
rebbe

andrew
andrew's picture

First thing is I would test each battery with a load tester. A 100 amp load tester that you can buy at an auto parts store will may things easy, but you could also use jumper cables and a nearby car to run the lights or even try and start the car. Note: disconnect the vehicle battery first.

This will atleast give you an idea of the battery condition. I also recommend you go and buy a smart type charger (the Vectors are popular) and charge up all your batteries individually. Your stock string charger may be broken.

Rebbe:
1) I am hoping this sounds like a battery problem

It could be but I wouldn't rule other things out until I have more information.

Rebbe:
2) I am hoping I can get a recommendation for top of the line, most green batteries

Lead-acids can be recycled. B&B's are one of my favorite battery manufacturers.

Rebbe:
3) confirm that the EQ battery modulater-thing is worth getting ...
It depends. Its my opinion that bank charging is the only sure approach for now, but the battEQ is at least a lot better than string charging without any method for balancing.

I bought my batteries from http://www.zbattery.com . I've always had good experience dealing with them, but I don't know if they carry the B&B 35 ah with recessed screw in terminals. For chargers, I'd go with Vectors from your local Lowes if there's one nearby. Actually, I'm planning to buy 6 for my bike real soon once I do some testing with one.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Rebbe

thanks Andrew:

did I understand you right that you are going to buy 6 chargers, i.e. one for each battery?

that's to avoid string charging issues?

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

FWIW, I agree with Andrew that bank charging is preferable to an equalizer. Yes, that means wiring up 5 chargers (in your case) - one for each battery. Or buying a single unit capable of charging all six separately.

See: simplified bank charger wiring for a description of how to wire up six chargers.

See: Schumacher Multi-Charger for a possible alternative to buying five separate chargers. Before you go with this charger though see what other folks have to say - it might be possible that individual chargers (with individual/independent control logic) will give the most reliable results.

BTW - Greensaver batteries (which are a different derivative of the SLA family) are supposedly more environmentally friendly than traditional SLAs (such as those from BB). Not sure of the science behind that claim or whether it's marketing BS.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

I think this would be a better choice as it has the connections to charge each battery in the bank separately.

Here is another link with more technical data about the charger. The first link was the best price I could find.

Chas S.

sgmdudley

for a 5 battery scooter, BatEQ is not available yet. Just confirmed that yesterday.
The website lists it, but it has not been perfected yet.
http://www.smartsparkenergy.com/products/BattEQ_for_Lead_Acid_Batteries.aspx

for bank chargers, if you go with a single unit that chargers multiple batteries, then if it fails everything fails. If you go with 5 "2/4/6 amp Vec1086B", my cost was less to purchase and ship and if one fails it is not taking the rest out. Good price here:
http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/BATTERY-CHARGERS.htm

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

kringle777
kringle777's picture

I purchased a 5 Battery BattEQ model for my XM-2000 last year. They only were offering it as a special order at the time, and it didn't come with a warranty because it was considered experimental. It's basically a 6 Battery model with the last connection severed. Works like a charm. Haven't had any problems with it so far.

kringle777
Red XM-2000
Moss Green "Charger" ebike
Sacramento, CA

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage