Open Letter to Vectrix Corp.

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Open Letter to Vectrix Corp. - Help with Peer Review, PLEASE

It's a little hard to read.. but here's a search which shows all the TI parts that start with 'TMS32' These are all Digital Signal Processor chips..

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Open Letter to Vectrix Corp. - Help with Peer Review, PLEASE

Thanks, David!

Looks like it is the TMS320f 241PG.
TI part Number: "TMS320F241PG"
Details for "TMS320F241PG"

Unfortunately I have no clear idea if it matters (in regards to my question here at the moment) which Digital Signal Processor Chip is on there.

Don't be fooled by the technical terms in here, I'm just feeling around in the dark.

I'm just hoping that some people can use the information to answer my question.

If any further details of that circuit board are required to help answer the question then please ask away.

I do not want to just post the lot without a clear need for it....

The Questions reshaped:

What could cause small incremental damage to the fuse? (Eddy currents? Rotor slip?)

Could it be prevented by changing driving habits in some way?

Is increased (transient) current across the fuse really more likely during low battery states, or is it more likely that the damage happens during heavy load/current situations with a very full battery?

After all, Vectrix say the engine has a 20kW rating.

125V battery x 150A fuse = 18750W only.

At 146V battery charge (when full): 146V*150A=21900W.

At 133V(roughly 1/3 full battery): 133V * 150A = 20,000W.

I might be over-simplifying it, but the fuse rating seems to be very close to what is needed for normal operation of the scooter.

And, just in case it is needed, how can I put a link to the full resolution version of pictures on here?

Thanks again,

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Open Letter to Vectrix Corp.

Hi,

today my second Vectrix has clocked up 1000km with the replacement fuse.

I have not heard anything further about an answer from Vectrix Corp. regarding the cause of the fuse failures.

I continue to use the knowledge of the real world range of my Vectrix (40km in hilly country, fast riding, 111kg payload) to avoid having to ride uphill with an almost flat battery.

If this will really prevent further fuse failures remains to be seen. (My first Vectrix lasted about 1400km, the second 1004km before the fuse failed.)

But even if this new fuse lasts for the life of the scooter it would not prove that the avoidance of low battery uphill driving is what is enabling it to last: Theoretically the hypothesized incremental fuse damage could have (inadvertently) been caused by the initial testing of the scooter at the factory!
A Vectrix has about 30km on the odometer when it is brand new, and these 30km must have been clocked up with an unconditioned battery very prone to low voltage (due to the lack of deep discharge cycles).

Apart from the still broken side-stand and the ongoing loud, uneven noise there have been no problems during those last 1000km.

And the petrol price which I used to calculate that the Vectrix would pay for itself within 5 years has already been exceeded yesterday. (AU$1.50/liter)

If problems do not continue to occur then the Vectrix might still turn out to have been a good buy for me despite the severely inflated range claims when I bought in Dec. 2007.
These claims have recently been revised down to almost realistic levels on the Vectrix website, but they still ignore the impact of terrain (hilly or flat) on the range.

Hopefully no-one dare claim that the world is not flat....;-)

Mr. Mik

andrew
andrew's picture

Mik, it's good that your vectrix is still running ok. I'm interested in how long the gear system will hold up. I'll bet it will not last long, but I certainly could be wrong. Hopefully, the gear box can somehow be upgraded or fixed. Maybe they (vectrix) are working on this problem.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Mik
Mik's picture

This was sent on February 25th, 2008 to the Australian Vectrix dealer, three high ranking persons within Vectrix USA, and the secretary for Vectrix UK.
Details made available to the moderators in a PM.

Mr. Mik

Looks like my Open Letter had the desired effect:

I was just shown a document from Vectrix which has detailed instructions on how to use an inrush current limiter during reconnection of the battery. It also describes how the non-use of the ICL causes fuse failures (immediate or delayed) and capacitor failures.

Issue date of that publication: March 10th, 2008, about two weeks after the Open Letter! I don't think that was coincidence!

R
R's picture

I don't think that was coincidence!

Dear Mik, I still believe that you must become a vectrix lithium beta tester... you are doing a great contribution to Vectrix!

Mik
Mik's picture

I don't think that was coincidence!

Dear Mik, I still believe that you must become a vectrix lithium beta tester... you are doing a great contribution to Vectrix!

I don't believe any more Vectrix' will be imported to Australia!

Just registering a single vehicle would probably be prohibitively expensive.

R
R's picture

Anyway, they can send you a package with the new battery and installing instructions.
what about DIY upgrade with already registered bike? ;-)

Pages

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage