Controller bench testing

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
andrew
andrew's picture
Controller bench testing

Here's how I'm testing my controller just for the benefit of anyone who needs to know how to do this. With a few small batteries, lots of jumper leads, a 120v light bulb, two rubber bands, and a potentiometer (0-5k, 0-10k, 0-15k, ect, will all work). I have a printout of the controller wiring diagram which really helps not to screw something up (not shown). Double check everything before energizing the main + or - to the wiring diagram, as it's easy enough to fry something.

This is only for a brush motor controller. I don't know how to bench test a brush-less motor controller.

Logisystems_controller_test.jpg

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Controller bench testing

LOL, that's almost exactly how I do it. Except I hook it up to the motor and put the light bulb in series with the batteries (if I'm not feeling lazy).

AFAIK, it's pretty much impossible (without specialized equipment) to test a brushless controller without a motor.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

reikiman
reikiman's picture

That looks like a logisystems controller, eh?

Anyway, I've tried setups like that and ended up vaporising the jumpers. But I don't remember what I was using as the dummy load. For some reason this morning I was pondering whether this could be done, so you're saying it's just as simple as having a resistor in place of the motor? e.g. such as a lightbulb.

andrew
andrew's picture

That looks like a logisystems controller, eh?

Yea. They made it for 48-72v, 1140 amps. Awesome deal for the price assuming it works for a while.

...so you're saying it's just as simple as having a resistor in place of the motor? e.g. such as a lightbulb.

I was told by Logisystems to use a light bulb. They insisted doing this instead of using a motor on the bench (probably due to safety issues). Energizing an unsecured etek can cause it to fly off the bench even at low voltages. A light bulb is so easy to use.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

How much was that controller? Their website is "under construction" and I can't find any details of their products online. Also, is it programmable in any way?

Thanks!

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

andrew
andrew's picture

The controller was $434 with shipping. They will build it to your specs. They used to require dead Curtis controllers to use the housing. Now they apparently supply their own.

They have some of their controllers up on ebay: "Logisystems" search on ebay.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage