About to purchase 2008 Zapino an have some questions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sticher68
About to purchase 2008 Zapino an have some questions

I believe I have decided to purchase a 2008 Zapino (My conscious made me pay off some debt first, or I would already have it). My plan it to purchase the stock unit with an intent to upgrade to a LifPO4 within the year. I am using this as learning tool (hope to convert a car soon) and 5 mile each way commuter. I will probably torch the first set of batteries just testing all extremes (lol). I have already learned a ton from all of you at this site (by far the most informative I’ve been able to find) about this process and all the toys to get the most out of these bikes. I was hoping someone could help recommend a build order. It is worth it to me to spend the money to get everything I can get out of a 49cc equivalent than to just get a bigger bike. I plan to budget about $250 a month for a year to spend on this project after initial purchase ($2500 - $3000 for the year) I would like to be purchasing things that I can use with the B&B batteries and will need (be able to use) when I convert over to LifPO4. I believe I now have a good understanding of all the components but not sure how to priorities them. What should I buy first? Any help or words of advice would be appreciated.

Sticher68
Re: About to purchase 2008 Zapino an have some questions

One more question. I have seem many posting of "Supercharging" a 48v bike to 60v with out any real issues. Has anyone "Supercharged" a 60v to 72v? is this feasable?

sgmdudley

I have a brand new Zapino, Nov 2007. Cert of Origin says 2007 year. I am still adding the recommended accesories. You will find down under the heading "Electric Technology" references to 4 main items for electric vehicles. You will find a lot of info by USATRACY and others. Look for key words: Bank Charging; Paktrakr; BatEQ; Cycle Analyst.
http://www.paktrakr.com/
http://www.ebikes.ca/index.shtml
http://www.smartsparkenergy.com/BattEQ_for_Lead_Acid_Batteries.aspx

1) Bank Charging. You will have 5 batteries with a string charger from ZAP that charges all the batteries at the same time. While out and about and you have opportunity charging, this will work fine. Then at home, you really want to charge each battery separately using 5 battery chargers. The goal is to have the same level of voltage in each battery regardless of battery differences in resistance, etc.

2) PAKTRAKR: A display that provides total pack voltage, individual battery voltage, temperature in the area you locate the remote sensor, current (with optional current sensor), etc.

3) Cycle Analyst: A programmable device/display. Lets you set current limits, speed limits, displays accurate speed when wired and calibrated and a few other options. The limiting of current is useful to avoid spiking the batteries on takeoff or other situations where you max the throttle and run the amps to max. This can limit range.

4) BatEQ: The 5 battery version is not yet available. This device shuttles current from the high battery(ies) to the lowest battery. You end up with a string of batteries that all have the same voltage. This is useful if you have a longer commute and then string charge at work. One note of caution: The BatEQ must not be connected to the batteries at the same time you are charging them.

Another option you might want to consider is the tires. The Zapino as most other scooters in this performance range, will come with Chinese Kenda Tires. You might want to upgrade. I have the Michelin S-1. $78 delivered. Not too hard to install. Much better tire. USATRACY has experimented with other tire sizes and has posted a few threads about tire diameters and advantages. Good source for tires:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/5939/ITEM/Michelin-S1-Performance-Scooter-Tire.aspx

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

If you're going to upgrade to LiFePO4 you might want to just do bank charging and not the BattEQ as well. If you get a charge management system (like the one described on endless sphere by gary and bob) you could use your 5 chargers in series to produce enough volts to charge your LiFePO4's - however, I don't think the BattEQ will have any value to you when you switch to LiFe. It's also probably easier to sell 5 chargers on ebay than one BattEQ (a larger market for the chargers). Just a thought.

I don't know anyone who has taken a 60V to a 72V. I don't know if the charger in the '08 Zapino has a max voltage cut off - if it does you'd need to figure out how to up that limit or switch to another controller.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good choice of bike.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Sticher68

Thanks or the imput,
I was thinking this would be my first purchase, but can't find anything on using this Bank Charger / BMS for LiFePO4, They also make a 10 Bank Charger for $100 more. which is probably what I will end up getting. Is this enough for LiFePO4 or do I still need a BMS mounted on the bike?

http://www.atbatt.com/product/6842.asp

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage