Electric Vehicles Could Strain Water Supplies

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
JCinStaunton
JCinStaunton's picture
Electric Vehicles Could Strain Water Supplies

my god, is this trying to force ev offline again or what?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/electricvehiclescouldstrainwatersupplies

andrew
andrew's picture
Re: Electric Vehicles Could Strain Water Supplies

This is article presents an incomplete clearly biased argument. What's not mentioned is how much of an impact this would have on our water usage. Check this source: USGS Estimated Use of Water in the United States in 2000.

Total freshwater and saline-water withdrawals for 2000 were estimated to be 408,000 Mgal/d,

Assuming the water usage is the same now (which its not, its likely more), that's 408,000 million/300 million people in the USA = 1,360 gallons per capita including industry usage.

I've heard that it takes about 1 gallon per 2 kwhr of coal generated electricity. An EV might take 300 whrs/mile all losses included, and the average distance might be 40 miles/day. That's 6 extra gallons per day, or a 0.44% increase in water usage. That's if every person alive in the US starting driving EVs tomorrow for personal transportation, and that doesn't even include the water saved that is not needed for petroleum refineries.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Alias

The article states from the author

The researchers note these concerns do not necessarily mean electric cars are undesirable. "It just means there might be some tradeoffs," Webber said.

What i'd like to know is; if these "researchers" have noted such statements, where are they in writing?
Obviously maybe they won't show such things in writing to the public's eye, but still.
It's aggravating to me to hear folks say "They estimate" Or "they note these concerns"
Then all of a sudden here come the policymakers, hrmm.

spinningmagnets

This is like someone saying that a woman can be guaranteed to lose weight, so she buys the video tape, and it tells her to cut her hair and nails. Then the 25 year old guy (who's living in his mom's basement) says: TECHNICALLY its TRUE.

Some juristictions allow the installation of an EV charging meter in your garage. Your electrical cost is half the normal rate, but it only works during off-peak times (usually at night).

I forget the exact number, but millions of EVs would have to be using off-peak charging before the US would have to build any new electrical generating capacity.

I know nuclear power is an emotional subject, but the new low-pressure helium reactors are very safe, and the radioactive fuel can be refreshed instead of disposed of as waste. Its my understanding that nuclear warheads are refreshed every 7 years or so instead of replaced. (I'm not saying that nuclear warheads are "good", just that the technology exists, and is well-understood)

When water become a strained resource, water-intensive processes will be modified to use less water.

Alias

Spinningmagnets wrote

When water become a strained resource, water-intensive processes will be modified to use less water.

I found this to be a rather interesting article, especially when Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and the California Energy Commission pronounced that Lake Mead of Los Angeles California could become dry by 2021.

http://www.energymeetsclimate.com/article_detail.php?html_hdnarticleid=590

spinningmagnets

I agree completely that water is becoming a strained resource. I believe the next president will be dealing with a crisis concerning water, electricity, and fuel.

When snow falls on Utah and Colorado, does all the water resulting from snow-melt belong to Utah and Colo, or does some of it belong to Arizona and Nevada after it flows down the river? The crisis point is within smelling distance.

The population continues to grow in all of these states, and currently Nevada needs more water than its getting now, to allow it to continue to grow. Utah also wants to grow, but Utah has possession of the snow.

The "current design" of coal fired electrical plant is a steam plant. The steam loop water has to very pure to prevent damage to the high RPM turbines, so the spent steam is condensed and recirculated into steam again. The condensing heat exchanger is sprayed with an external water supply that evaporates into the atmosphere. This is why most coal and nuke plants are near the ocean or a major river.

I guess every solution has a few "challenges"?

Grass lawns and golf course grass are the biggest wastes of water. also, toilets should be flushed with water that is saved from shower drains, and washer rinse cycles.

The Chena Hot Spring (Alaska) is using a common refrigerant in the primary loop, and since it boils/condenses at a temp lower than water, any external cooling water is warmed, but not evaporated away.

OF COURSE, this kind of plant will probably be more expensive...

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/2/4/0350/64735

Alias

spinningmagnets wrote

Grass lawns and golf course grass are the biggest wastes of water. also, toilets should be flushed with water that is saved from shower drains, and washer rinse cycles.

I completely wholeheartedly agree with you on this; especially grass golf courses definetly what a waste of water.

Ooh I wanted to edit my comment, here are some links;

http://www.earthfirsttech.com/Default.asp

Earth First Technologies, Inc produces clean -burning fuel from contaminated water or sewage.

http://www.windenergy.com/index_wind.htm
Southwest Wind power Inc, manufactures and markets small wind turbines for producing electric power for homes, sailboats, and telecommunications.

http://www.solarattic.com/
Solar Attic Inc, has developed a process to recover heat from home attics to use in heating hot water or swimming pools.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage