Adding Indicator Lights to Z20

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
mikejuv
Adding Indicator Lights to Z20

I would like to add a couple small, 12-volt LED indicator lights to my Z20. I'm wondering which wires to connect them to for the desired functionality.

Indicator Lights:

• Breaker On
    Lit when breaker in ON position. One in instrument panel [green], another next to bike's string charger connection [red]
  • Kickstand Up
    Green light when kickstand is in up position
  • Ingition On
    Green light when bike is ready to ride (key on - moving throttle will move bike)

I'm thinking of using these small LEDs from Radio Shack. Any other suggestions?

This is more of a wiring, skill-building exercise for me, so descriptions on how to identify the correct wires or other tips would be a fine alternative to giving known wire descriptions. (I have a digital multimeter)

astar
Re: Adding Indicator Lights to Z20

Breaker On
Lit when breaker in ON position. One in instrument panel [green], another next to bike's string charger connection [red]

I would tap the red wire that goes to the alarm. It always has 12v except when the breaker is off.

Ingition On
Green light when bike is ready to ride (key on - moving throttle will move bike)

I would probably tap the red wire going into the control board. Both this and the previous wire are up in the front end, at least on the Z20b.

Kickstand Up
Green light when kickstand is in up position

This one is harder to do. The controller puts out 5 volts, and this 5v line goes to the kickstand switch. The switch is normally closed, meaning it is making the connection to ground. When you flip up the kickstand, the switch moves to open the position, and it's no longer pulled to ground. That's why unplugging the switch is the same as putting up the kickstand. I can't think of an easy way to do what you want.

ZEV 7100 Alpine
Fort Collins, CO

mikejuv

Kickstand Up...This one is harder to do...The switch is normally closed

Thanks for that. Now that you mention it, I remember reading that in an earlier topic.

The idea for the kickstand up indicator was primarily to serve as a future debug method if the scoot ever failed to move with ignition on. I will add a kickstand disable switch if there is a need to debug the kickstand.

Thanks for the other tips as well. I will give it a shot this weekend. The lights will make the pre-launch/pre-charge procedures a bit more obvious, since flipping the breaker is an easily forgotten step and there is no engine noise when ignition on.

astar

On my Z20, the State of Charge indicator lights up as soon as I turn on the key. Isn't this good enough for the ignition "LED"? I understand why you want a light for the breaker on; it shouldn't suck up much juice. The other option is to add a contactor, which would take the controller out of the loop when the ignition switch is off. Then there is no need to turn the breaker off at all for charging, and that breaker is not meant to be turned on and off a lot.

ZEV 7100 Alpine
Fort Collins, CO

mikejuv

On my Z20, the State of Charge indicator lights up as soon as I turn on the key.

Mine does too. However, it can be a bit difficult to see if the sun is bright. The LEDs I'm thinking of adding will likely have the same problem, but I might be able to position or shade them in a way to make them more clearly visible.

I guess I'm more looking for an excuse to tinker with the bike than trying to fix a problem ;)

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage