electric bicycles

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
azurevirus
electric bicycles

Hi all..I was wondering if any of you could help me out on this...Im thinking about purchasing an electric bike or trike..but have really no knowlege of them except for the trike I seen at Walnart..Im thinking about getting it but before I outlay the cash I was wondering what opinions are out there on it and Im open to any suggestions on other makes..Im totally new to the electric bicycles ..altho a neighbors kid does have an electric scooter..but its a kid thing..I would like to know the downsides of owning an electric bicycle..which brands are in ur opinion more worth the money...getting repair parts ..etc...so any help/advice or suggestions would be much appreciated..Thanks Much

IbeRKT
Re: electric bicycles

assuming that by Walnart you mean Walmart

I looked on their website and saw two electric trikes which one were you referring to:

The 2007 I-Zip Tricruiser Electric Tricycle (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5692925)

Or

The Worksman Lightning Trike Electric Tricycle (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5691453)

as for the 2007 I-Zip Tricruiser Electric Tricycle I would have to say this;

1. This unit may be a little under powered for a trike. it has a 450W DC Earth Magnet motor which is OK for scooters but a little small for a full sized trike.

2. It has 36 volts 12ah of lead acid batteries so I think that their estimate of 30-35 miles range may be a bit of a stretch.

On the other hand the price is not bad and it can easily be upgraded with a more powerful motor and better batteries later.

So IMHO it may not be the best choice but it is an OK way to "get your feet wet" so to speak.

The Worksman Lightning Trike Electric Tricycle on the other hand is a little more expensive but it has a more powerful 600W in-hub motor. The only thing I do not like about this model is that they put the batteries IN the rear basket taking up some of the cargo space. If you could re-mount the batteries UNDER rear the basket you would get a lower center of gravity and free up the storage space. If you could make that modification then I think that this would be the better of the two.

That's my opinion for what it's worth.

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Some additional Information:

I have a Miami Sun 3 wheeler, similar to the Tricruiser, which has a 350-watt motor at 36-volts and 12AH. It is geared somewhat low with a top speed of 14 MPH and it climbs hills better than the average e-bike. My range on this e-trike is about 30-miles with some pedaling and an 80% discharge of the batteries, which is not good for them. If you do not pedal and use just the motor you can go about 22-miles on flat ground.

I would say you choice should be based on what you want the trike to do. The Tricruiser could be modified easy to go farther and faster if you want to add batteries. I think their range estimation is a little long. The Worksman is a much heaver trike and could carry much heaver loads.

Grandpa Chas S.

azurevirus

Thank you for your reply...yup, I did indeed mean Walmarts store..sorry for the typo..I was just wondering about purchasing an electric trike to more or less go to Walmart to get my groceries..I would like to find one that I could get over 30 miles without having to have a major 3-4 hr charge after 15 miles..that would be nice as I could ck on my elderly parents and tend to their garden for them...as for adding extra batteries and such I have no experience in electrical powered trikes or anything of that nature..I was wondering about the Walmart electric trike as it is at present the only one I know of at this time in this local..I dont think there are any dealers nearby for others..also, Walmart isnt really known for its "quality" goods..that is the reason I decided to post here..to more or less get an opinion on the trike and hear of better ones out there that maybe of superior quaility all around...besides ..getting this one from walmart..if its like getting anything else from there..if it breaks down ..it will be sent off to be repaired and I wont see it for months..(kind of like their lawnmower deals)..altho to be truthful..I prob wont invest in one until gas hits 4.00 a gal..which means I will prob by one next week?

johny b

You may want to check out the Raptor :jawdrop: 8) by Boomerbents. These are not your typical looking trike, they are like a Rolls Royce compared to a Yugo. They are a little pricey but worth every penny. They come standard with a 750 watt motor, and a range up to 40 miles. I have a pair in my show room and they stop people in their tracks when they see them. Most people who sit on these say that this can not be a bike, it is more like sitting on their couch. :jawdrop:

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage