EVTA Replacement Controller

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
astar
EVTA Replacement Controller

I just got my replacement controller from EVTA. This thread is intended for documenting the replacecment controllers from EVTA and their performance.

NewEVTAController.jpg

Notice that there is an angle cut off from the cooling fins. Not sure why since they don't interfere with anything on mine - maybe on the R-20?

Notice also that there is no thermocouple attached to the cooling fins. I will e-mail EVTA about it. For now, I'm running without a fan.

On the original controller, the motor would "lock" at full throttle when testing on the center stand. This one does not. I sent my original back to EVTA. This one seems heavier to me. I never weighed the original, but this one is 4.2 lbs on my probably not too accurate mail scale.

I installed it without a problem, and it's working! Since my batteries are fully conditioned, I did short top speed run and reached 47 indicated. Will post more after I've done more testing.

DWrath
Re: EVTA Replacement Controller

Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad to hear your bike is running now. Did they ship your controller via Schenker or some other shipper (UPS, FedEx, etc)?

astar

It came from Schenker via UPS. EVTA told me to expect a tracking number from Schenker, but I never received one. I was surprised to see it arrive this afternoon.

ZEV 7100 Alpine
Fort Collins, CO

astar

I asked Andy about not having a heat sensor on the replacement controller. Here is his response:

You have to take the heat sensor off the old controller and put it on the new one. I was under the impression that the factory had installed them but they didn't. They are put on using a glue heat gun so it shouldn't be hard to take off. Just make sure when you put it in your new controller, that it is well insulated (use silicone or the glue on a heat gun) you don't want the surface to touch directly to the controller case as if the controller for some reason shorts out, the current will travel up the heat sensor and cause further damage.

I already sent my controller back to them, so it's still unresolved for me, but you might want to remove your heat sensor before sending your controller back.

ZEV 7100 Alpine
Fort Collins, CO

fcherny

How did you get to the old controller to take it out? I've got a z20b. I've taken off the seat and the rack on the back. But the controller is still not accessible - as far as I can see. Maybe it's my limited mechanical skills getting in the way. :)

Fred.

NovaScootersDotCom

After removing the seat and plastic, you also have to remove the seat latch assembly so the controller can clear, and the fans, there are 4 screws, washers and nuts that hold the controller in place.

http://www.voltsrider.net/vr/forum_posts.asp?TID=47&SID=ezf59485d488ce3zdz33f48ezbdf581f

astar

Yeah, as Nova Scooter Tech says; you'll need to take off the seat latch frame. I'm assuming you have already taken off the rear cover, which just snaps off after taking off the 3 big bolts that hold on the rear luggage rack. Be sure to turn off the breaker first, then remove the red power wire from breaker to controller. The fan is held in place with 2 bolts and must be removed first. Be sure to mark the wires for the fan and heat sensor.

I have also been considering running with the fan on all the time. Right now I can't see a reason not to do it this way. Has anyone out there with a working Z/R-20 actually had their fan turn on?

ZEV 7100 Alpine
Fort Collins, CO

jimv

I was able to get documentation from EVTA on removing the controller, and testing it. It seemed clear, though I have not tested it yet.
I just emailed them at support [at] evtamerica.com and asked for any documentation and they emailed it to me very quickly.

fcherny

Thanks for the help. Last night I was able to remove the old controller and put in the new one. I tested it this morning and it works!

I have one problem. I'm not sure which wire connects to the heat sensor. Is it the one with the red/white and red/blue wires? I'll attach a picture.

Also, the new controller and the old one weight exactly the same. My new one came with a heat sensor attached to the controller. My burned out controller's heat sensor wire was loose (slides back and forth in the metal groove). Could that present a problem? Does the wire need to be securely fastened? Or does it just need to be close enough to detect heat?

Again, thanks for your help.

Fred.
Heat_Sensor.jpg

jimv

Fred,
This is what I found in the documentation I got from Andy:

Heat sensing switch - 2 pin male  2 pin female
pin 1 heat sensing switch 12V positive  0.5mm red/white   to heat sensing switch  black 
pin 2 fan 12V positive  0.5mm blue/red   to heat sensing switch  black 

Hope that helps
Jim

fcherny

Thanks, Jim. That's exactly what I needed to know.

ggggarret

i am curious to know if the new controller eliminates the cutout issue many of us are experiencing when accelerating quickly? know what i mean? my z20a motor cuts out if i gun it from a standstill or even when moving slowly.

garret

airdelroy

I have the experience of running my scooter on 2 controllers. My scooter arrived and when I tried to drive, it only went about a foot before stopping. EVTA told me that they would send a controller. In the mean time I had a friend that had also got a Z-20a. We removed his controller and put it on my bike(awful nice of him eh?!?). I rode with this controller for about 2-3 weeks. I experienced several issues:

1) gun start/motor stop issue - gunning the throttle from stop resulted in slight lurch, then nothing. The friend also experienced this.
2) motor miss - the only way I describe this is that while accelerating the motor would tick loudly when accelerating through slower speeds. This did not happen every time (1 in 5 maybe) and sometimes it would do it several times per start. My friend did not experience this issue.
3) higher speed motor stop - About half way home on my trips on warm days the motor would cut out similar to issue #1 except that it did it while accelerating through about 20-25mph. This seemed to only happen on warmer days and only in the afternoon (warmer). I would just let off the throttle and re-apply. Often this would happen several times before I got up to speed. Once speed was reached, it would not cut out. It got worse the further I went. My friend did not experience this issue,

I then got my replacement controller from EVTA and have now ridden it several times. I have experienced issue #1 twice, but it is significantly reduced in frequency. I have not experienced #2 or #3, but I also have not had an overly warm day yet.

Also I noticed that when I went to the replacement controller my battery use for my trip to/from work has decreased. My trip is about 10 miles and I have about 2-3 bars more at the end of each trip (I charge at work).

andrew
andrew's picture

airdelroy, #3 sounds like a controller or motor overheat cutout issue. I would go easy on it. Maybe find a better way to cool the controller like with a blower, or a couple of extra fans. Find which part of the controller is getting hottest after a ride. That part should be where the mosfets are mounted on the inside, and it would be best to cool that area directly.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

gowens
gowens's picture

I also experienced the over heating problem on my R-20. The outside temp was about 77 and my wife and I were both on the bike (~375lbs total). The terrain was hilly. After about 3 miles it just stopped. My wife had commented how hot the seat was just before it stopped.

We pulled over, I turned off the breaker to reset the controller and let it cool down for a few minutes. After that it was fine.

Since I live in the desert where summertime temps are 100+ for months this is not a comforting event.

I am thinking about placing a few of those electronic cooling heat sinks (Peltier Modules) on the controller in addition to adding a large fan.

Info on these cool coolers...

I do not know how much they would help with the controller temp.

Anyone ever try it ?

Other than that, my scooter is running very well.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage