500 or 100W motor?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
sensor
500 or 100W motor?

I plan on purchasing a scooter in hawaii that has a a 48V 12AH system currently with a 550W motor, i would prefer something that would go faster and for longer electrically but we all have budgets. I have a deal on a 48v 1000W motor and controller, coupled with purchasing Li-ion battery package. The motor and controller being about $150 and the li-ion battery pack being around $500.

Question: Is it worth it to upgrade the scoot myself? And is this a reasonably feasible thing for a novice to do? The original scoot has a hub motor and this replacement motor would be a hub motor as well.

Thanks

andrew
andrew's picture
Re: 500 or 100W motor?

If there's not a more powerful scooter on the market, then I suggest the following before you switch the motor out.

Feel the motor after a long run. If it is getting hot, than you probably can't get much more power out of it without risk of overheating. If it is getting warm, than you may be able to push it harder without damage (at least for a while).

I suggest first trying a voltage increase, a controller upgrade, or both if the motor can handle more heat. A controller bypass contactor can also be used if it is a brush motor, and this would be the cheapest option.

Since it is a hub motor, than you will have to increase the current flow through the motor to increase the power, which means more heating. If there was a practical way to increase the motor speed for a given vehicle speed, like with a smaller tire, than the motor power output can potentially be increased without increasing current flow.

These are some cheaper options to start with.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage