Help! I fried my beloved 4000e's battery charger

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
dj 4000e
Help! I fried my beloved 4000e's battery charger

Hi fellow EVers,

I've fried (as in a burning smell with a little puff of smoke) my EVT 4000e battery charger.

Does anyone have a recommendation for where I can get a replacement?

Thanks very much, in advance,

-denise

andrew
andrew's picture
Re: Help! I fried my beloved 4000e's battery charger

Denise, I recommend switching to bank charging. maybe pick up 4 B&D Vector chargers from a Lowes. Also, there are some cheaper 12v smart chargers from Battery Space.

To get an exact replacement, maybe contact EVT World? I'm not sure if Electric motorsport is still an EVT distributors, you might try them. Otherwise, you can get a 48v Soneil here: Electric Rider. Thunderstruck-ev also carries it.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Hi, I did the same with my EVT. The charger I had, well, there was this handle on the outside held on by screws on the inside of the box. The handles worked themselves loose and the screw started rattling around inside the box. I kept meaning to find a way to open the box and fix it, but never did, and the loose screw eventually connected with the circuit board inside the charger, there was a poof sound, the smell of the magic smoke being let out, and the charger was no more.

So.. replacements.

You'd need to have 48v of charging capability. The stock charger is a "string charger" running at 48v. However recent research by forum members and others shows string chargers tend to be a bad idea. You might take this as an opportunity to get into a bank charger arrangement.

I know for certain that the underseat area on the 4000e is large enough for two of these: http://www.evparts.com/prod-CH5314.htm

Those are Soneil 24v 8a chargers. These are what I bought when my stock charger poofed. It's not a perfect bank charger setup but it's better than the stock charger and they can be carried on-board.

Another option is the Vector 2/6/10 charger slightly modified as shown here: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/2969-simplified-bank-charger-wiring#comment-17600

That's a 12v charger and modified as shown in that picture might fit within the underseat storage.

To set up a bank charger deal on the EVT 4000 you have to do something like this:-

Pull all the batteries out.

Map the wiring of the main power bus. On my 2002 model EVT 4000 each battery is connected through a large Anderson connector to the main power bus. To do a bank charger arrangement you have to understand how the batteries are connected to form the string.

For a 12v bank charger setup it's simple.. just connect a pair of wires to each battery, and then connect each pair of wires to its own charger. You'll require 4 12v chargers. For a 24v bank charger setup you have to figure out two 24v halves to the battery string, then connect a pair of wires to the + and - of the 24v sections. That's what I did on my 4000.

sgmdudley

Denise,

There are several replys that you should convert to Bank Charging, and I agree as I have it on my Zapino. However, I also carry my string charger in case I have an opportunity to charge while running around. I would suggest you contact the folks mentioned above for a replacement String Charger to get you going, then if you or a friend can wire the scooter for bank charging, then do that also. Bank charging becomes primary charge system and String Charger becomes secondary/opportunity charger.
Robert of Longmont

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

soundspeedscooters
soundspeedscooters's picture

Hello,
We carry a full list of EVT replacement parts. Including chargers.
www.soundspeedscooters.com

hope this helps,
stueve [at] soundspeedscooters.com

scoodap

i have the same problem but i'm not sure i understand the 24v sollution you offer here (bank cahrging). do you mean i have to wire each 2 batteries and charge them separately with the 24V charger ? :
http://www.evparts.com/products/golf-cart/battery-chargers-dot/24-volt-golf-cart-chargers/ch5314.htm

does it has to be on the same time, with 2 chargers, or i can charge each separetaly with 1 charger?

i dont get the amp thing too. the fact that its 8 amp, rather than 7, doesn't harm the batteries? cause if not, and you dont wanna go for the bank charging, could a 48V 9amp charger work? like that one:
http://www.evparts.com/products/golf-cart/battery-chargers-dot/48-volt-golf-cart-chargers/ch5655.htm

thank you very much

Jenn Rodriguez

Did you replace your charger yet? I'm parting out my EVT 4000e and have two chargers, the original and a Soneil 48V 3.5 amp. Contact me if you're interested.

Jenn
Santa Clara, CA
jennrod12 [at] gmail.com

Yellow 2002 EVT 4000e

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot