eGO not GOing

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
drako
eGO not GOing

When I turn the key in either direction (Go Far or Go Fast) the full string of LED's light up on the "dashboard" and the headlight and tailights go on, but no power. Usually, a split-second after turning on the machine, I hear a click from inside the bike, but this does not happen now.

After turning the bike on and off, I can on a rare occasion hear the click and thus get full power to the rear wheel. Most of the time, though, it doesn't work.

I have never opened my bike and am thus at newbie at the technology.

What's up with this?

mopedtedd
Re: eGO not GOing

Hi Drako,
The click you heard when the scooter was healthy was the contactor closing. The contactor supplies high voltage (24v) to the motor. The scooter won't go unless the contactor closes so you need to find out why that's not happening.

If your eGo is older than 12 months, I'd look at the key switch. Ego changed the design of the key switch about a year ago because the old ones would do things similar to what your's is doing. The old ones have a silver ring around the outside. The new ones have a black ring. If you have an old key switch with the silver ring try wiggling the key after you turn it to go fast or go far. If you hear the familiar click while wiggling, you'll need to replace the key switch. If you don't hear the click, or if you have the new style switch with the black ring, it could either be your key switch or the contactor.

In either case, I'd call eGo (800-979-4346) and select service and support from the menu. Talk to the technician (I think his name is Kevin) about your problem. He's very helpful and knowledgable. If you have an old style key switch and it's bad, I'd recommend getting the new "black boot" style. You'll need to do a bit of fitting to get it installed, but it's worth it. I went through 2 old style switches before I upgraded and haven't had a problem since.

hope this helps,
tedd

drako

Thanks for the speedy and thorough reply, Tedd. I have the old switch.

Since the lights never flicker when I fuss with the key switch, do you believe it may still be possible that the switch is bad, or does this definitively point to the contactor (which, by the way, I've already replaced once).

mopedtedd

Drako,
I don't know whether the lack of flicker in the lights would isolate the contactor as the problem. I do most of my riding during daylight and I never noticed what the lights were doing when my old key switches were going bad. To tell for sure you'd probably need to get a schematic of the switch and trace out continuity of its various circuits. The switch has several circuits and it would certainly be possible for the circuit that throws the contactor to be bad while the light circuit was still good.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to look over the circumstantial evidence. Since you've already replaced your contactor I would put that lower on the list since I don't believe they wear out very often.

Is your eGo key on a heavy key ring? The reason I ask is they replaced the key switch because the old ones tended to wear out when a key ring (usually with several keys) rode around hanging on the switch all day. Something about the old switch couldn't handle that type of load.

The other thing I would ask is how old is your current switch? I've ridden my scooter daily for a little over 3 years and worn out 2 of the old key switches during that time. If yours has been in the scooter for a while and you ride it often, it might be time to replace it.

good luck,
tedd

Aerowhatt
Aerowhatt's picture

I'll just add here that it is the controller that switches the contactor after it checks a few things. It is possible to have reliable power to the lights with out power to the controller. One thing I would check that hasn't been mentioned yet is the power fuse to the contactor. If it has the tubular glass fuse it can look OK and not be making good contact. Best to replace it with a blade style automotive in line fuse.

The controller has an LED light on the front side facing the front battery. You can check it to see what it is doing when you switch on. It should be on steady if everything is OK. If there is an error of some kind it will flash in code. If it's out then there probably isn't power to the controller. Key switch, or the afore mentioned fuse holder are the likely culprits.

Ted is right that contactors are pretty reliable and don't wear out often. The old key switches don't hold up over time or if getting wet often. So that's your most likely cause. The fuse holder has cropped up quite a bit too so it's your second most likely cause. Check your controller LED and if it's blinking write down the pattern so we can see what it has to share.

Aerowhatt

Aerowhatt
Aerowhatt's picture

One thing I would check that hasn't been mentioned yet is the power fuse to the contactor. If it has the tubular glass fuse it can look OK and not be making good contact. Best to replace it with a blade style automotive in line fuse.

Aerowhatt

Sorry I ment to write power fuse to the CONTROLLER. Not the contactor as stated incorrectly above

Aerowhatt

drako

Thanks again for all your information. I called eGO and Matthew, the general manager, told me that they no longer sell parts to the public, that I will need to go through my local dealer. Kind of a bummer being shut off from being able to tinker with my own vehicle.

Unfortunately, I have had bad experiences with the dealer here in Phoenix and prefer to find someone else to help with this. Can anyone provide a referral here in the Phoenix area?

But, come to think of it, if I end up working with someone other than a dealer, than they also (like me) won't have access to parts. Hmm.

mopedtedd

Drako,
Well, I don't know what's going on here, but I was so alarmed by your report concerning parts not being sold directly to the public, that I called eGo and spoke to Matthew. He assured me that I could still purchase parts both over the phone and via the Ego Vehicles website. He did mention that there are certain parts they only sell through dealers to make sure they're installed properly, but the extended range battery pack was the only example of that restriction he could bring to mind. All the other parts remain available to the public.

Have you tried to purchase parts via the website? I did so as recently as Feb. 19 of this year.

I'm a little baffled by this. Could you possibly have misunderstood?

tedd

drako

Yes, I believe I did misunderstand. I think what Matthew really told me is that his company will no longer troubleshoot directly with the public. He is discouraging do-it-yourselfers. I apologize if I scared you, tedd!

Where on the ego website can I order parts?

I have never opened my machine so I am a newbie to working on it or anything like it. I'm hesitant to do so because I feel like anything I do will be just guesswork. I'm looking for a competent repair person outside the official ego dealer. I've hauled my ego to the Phoenix dealer four times in the two years I've owned it -- twice it was held hostage there for more than a month -- so I'm really tired of relying on them. Especially since, on the last go around, he tried to charge me twice what his estimate was. It took a lot of 'brain damage' on my part to get him down to a number approaching his estimate.

While I'm on the subject, I must tell the world about my experience with ego warranty service. One of my four dealer visits took place during the warranty period but the company refused to pay labor costs. No reason stated, they just wouldn't do it. However, their warranty states "We will repair or replace (at our option) defective items if defective within the warranty period, beginning on the date of purchase. You will be responsible only for the cost of shipping to an authorized eGO service center, if required." It says nothing about owners being responsible for labor costs during the warranty period. It took having our lawyer send a letter before we were sent a labor reimbursement check from ego.

Aerowhatt
Aerowhatt's picture

Where on the ego website can I order parts?

I have never opened my machine so I am a newbie to working on it or anything like it. I'm hesitant to do so because I feel like anything I do will be just guesswork. I'm looking for a competent repair person outside the official ego dealer. I've hauled my ego to the Phoenix dealer four times in the two years I've owned it -- twice it was held hostage there for more than a month -- so I'm really tired of relying on them. Especially since, on the last go around, he tried to charge me twice what his estimate was. It took a lot of 'brain damage' on my part to get him down to a number approaching his estimate.

The eGO site has a store where you can buy parts and accessories directly. Check under "where to buy" or "How to buy" something like that. Then click on parts and accessories. As for working on your own bike. It's not too complicated and there is help on the web like the eGO scooter yahoo group. However if you aren't a bit handy in general then get someone else to do it who is. eGO has a bunch of proceedure documentation on their site in the "support area". Basically your dealer isn't very good IMO. They should have common replacement parts in stock (so you don't have to wait for them to come in). Most of our service work is done the same or next day from when it is scheduled. We do onsite repairs for those that don't have the ability to haul an eGO into us. Of course this service is done by an eGO whenever possible to avoid additional carbon footprint for keeping other eGO's on the road.

As for the labor charges IMO it's not something the dealer should have charged to begin with (If you bought the bike from them). I consider it to come out of the markup we earn on the bike when we sold it. If someone bought direct from eGO or another dealer and want's warranty service from us, we provide it with labor charges agreed to up front. A comprehensive assembly and check out process will keep most bikes from needing warranty repairs anyway.

Places to look for a service professional is electric mobility shops (electric wheelchairs), Golf carts are similar animals as well.

Aerowhatt

drako

You'll need to do a bit of fitting to get it installed...

Tedd,

It seems that my first logical step will be to replace the key switch. Before I purchase this item, can you be more specific about the fitting that I will need to do?

mopedtedd

Drako,
It was certainly discouraging to read of your mishaps with the dealer. I bought my Ego in early 2005, when you could order them directly from the Ego website. The nearest dealer to me is in Seattle, over 100 miles west. I don’t know how I’d get my scooter over there if I didn’t do my own maintenance. I was also discouraged to learn they won’t troubleshoot problems over the phone any more, but I suppose that was to be expected. I hope they didn’t let go of Kevin. He is a very diligent and helpful guy.

The fitting necessary to upgrade to the new black boot style key switch involves removing the old key switch, increasing the diameter of the hole, and then filing a notch at the 6 o’clock position to accept a corresponding stake on the body of the new switch that prevents rotation. Any auto repair shop with the proper drill bit should be able to perform the work for you if you brought them your dash board. I did it on my own by removing the old switch, plugging the hole with a wood dowel, drilling a pilot hole through the center of the dowel, then enlarging the hole with a bimetallic hole saw. A few strokes with a file created the notch. I had wanted to enlarge the hole with a big drill bit, but I couldn’t find one to rent, and a new one cost about $35. A hole saw was cheaper and worked just fine. I don’t remember the diameter, but I think it was one inch. Measure the new key switch body to be sure.

Parts can be purchase from the Ego home page by clicking on Contact Sales in USA and Overseas, Shop Online for Parts and Accessories, Ego Parts, then Electrical. The key switch is part number 460-6008 and cost $29. All service procedures can be found under Support and then Service. There is a service procedure for key switch replacement but it doesn’t address changing from an old to new style switch. Be prepared for an exorbitant shipping charge.

Finally, I’d encourage you to begin to explore doing your own maintenance. It’s fun, practical, and there aren’t many really expensive mistakes you can make. And if you’re careful, you probably won’t hurt yourself. The worst I’ve done so far is scuffed my knuckles.

If I ever win the lottery I’m going to bank roll Aerowhatt so he can open a nationwide chain of EV service centers. He’s the EV guru and very generous with his knowledge. Thanks (again) Aerowhatt.

Let me know if you have further questions.

tedd

redthumb

I'm having the exact same problem with a 2005 eGo LX I bought used a few days ago. I'd ridden it for all of 1.5 blocks and 45 seconds when the first time I twisted the throttle back more than halfway, the motor just turned off. All the lights, horn, and charger still work fine, but nothing happens when the throttle is turned now. I've been researching it like crazy and found the controller diagnostic codes on eGO's website. The LED was flashing three times, leading me to think I probably just broke the throttle spring, even though it springs back when released. I can't see the spring moving much through the window in the top of the throttle housing, either. When I hold the throttle back into the zero position, the LED blinks just one time. I ordered a new throttle just in case, but our one eGO service center here in Oregon says they've never heard of a throttle breaking before. Great. Has anyone had any similar problems? The seller won't refund my $900 (good ol' craigslist!) and says "it worked perfectly before you bought it" so I'm gonna do my best to just get it working and avoid a small claims court case. WhenI get home I'm going to check to see which ignition it is equipped with...would that cause the controller to blink once like that? I've been wanting an eGO cycle for years and can't wait to finally start riding it! Thanks in advance!0

drako

Redthumb,

I feel your pain. But, no, I have not (yet!) had any problems with the throttle.

To follow up on my issue, it was the solenoid that went bad. I had the dealer replace it. They swear they haven't seen so many problems on an eGO than mine, but then again they are located in Sun City (Ariz.), where I don't suppose too many of their customers commute to and fro to work each day as I do. So I'm unclear as to whether my cycle is a lemon or whether eGOs in general should be classified as "cheap Chinese junk".

However, this may be a hint: The replacement key switch I purchased from eGO was defective. It turned the machine on just fine, but just the slightest touch of the key to the left turned off the whole darned contraption. A call to eGO merited a no-questions-asked replacement unit by mail.

My challenges with my cycle are legendary among my friends and family but, when it works, I absolutely love it every time I get on it.

redthumb

Hey, thanks for posting so quickly! Great to know it may be something that simple! Do you know how many times your controller was flashing when the eGO quit working? I can't do much until the new throttle arrives in the mail, but I'm already thinking that was probably a waste of money. If it doesn't end up working I'll try calling the service number and let you know what they say. A couple things I do know: I have the older, silver-based ignition apparently, and all the fuses appear to be intact. I can tell the last owner used a full key chain because you can see where they swung across the paint in an arc. Thanks again - this is the only forum I've yet to run across that covers these things!

drako

>>Do you know how many times your controller was flashing when the eGO quit working?
The string of red LED's on the dash never flashed when I was experiencing the solenoid problem. They worked as they usually did ... showing only the relative state of battery power available.

>>If it doesn't end up working I'll try calling the service number and let you know what they say.
Yeah, let me know but good luck with that. The last time I spoke with them they said they decided to no longer do diagnostic work on the phone. God bless the eGO owner who doesn't live near a dealer!

>>I have the older, silver-based ignition apparently,
This is also what I have. I've seen the newer "black" version and it's definitely more robust.

arthurpage

Okay I'm so glad that I stumbled upon this forum!!! I just bought the panterra freedom 750watt electric scooter from a guy on craigslist list last week. It was a six hour drive that ended at 4 am to get this. On my way down the ownersaid he was putting the batteries in and it wouldn't turn on. I've had the lights on today on and off with the longest period of a few minutes. Some times the motor will spin once before shutting off. The battery meter and red led work consistantlly thought. I read about the ignition and mine is the silver circle one. I have it all tore apart trying to find lose wires because the guy had it running the day before. I desperatly want to ride this thing!!!! Help! Help!!! What can I try? The lights stayed on the longest after I played with the small white cylider in the front wire harness that makes the bliker noise. My email is ibugle [at] gmail.com I can really use some help!!!!!

babo

Lots of time has passed since this post started but I anyway wanted to give my experience with this similar problem.

A month ago I had exactly the same problem, switch on, but I can't hear the relay click to give the power to the motor citcuits.
Opening the electronic dash revealed that the fuse for DC-DC converter broke. That though didn't explain why I couldn't get the click to the motor. Expecting that controller is doing some self-test I tried to troubleshoot more and decided to change the DC-DC converter.
Removing the converter and leaving all what it powers opened I found that I now get the click and the motor can go.
That was kind of a proof for me that the converter was a problem.
I replaced it with the new one and step by step started attaching wires. I got dissapointed that when in the end all was in place I lost the most important click for the motor again.
Many times I was removing the wires and put them back until I found out.
The headlight buld has 2 circuits inside with 3 contacts. One of them, the one which is not used, somehow made a kind of shortcut between the other contact and the common one used for both wires supposed to generate light. That shortcut lead to the outside metal headlight construction and only when the headlight would be screwed back to the eGo's body the controller would "find" out something is wrong and cut out the "click" towards the motor. As I didn't have a new light bulb with insulating tape I insulated the inside of the headlight from the outside body of the headlight so that the shortcut inside won't touch the "earth" or minus of the eGo's body. Only then I could install everything back.

The worst thing in all of this is that most probably the DC-DC converter was fine but I lost it trying to figure out the wirings (there was 1 green wire weirdly connected, or lets say its physical position didn't reveal the logic for it) so I got it broke. Didn't matter as I though it is broken anyway :(

Anyway, weird problem with luckily functional end but just showing that even fairly simple wiring in these devices sometimes could make headaches.

Babo

jimmidan

My eGo Classic electric scooter's electrical powers up when the key is turned on, but it won't go. There is a red light blinking on the controller. Can anyone tell me what this means? Thanks.

cory21

i notice this is an old thread but i have a similar problem and seeing how im new and unable to post a new thread in the forum this is my only shot.... but if anyone is out there to listen and help this is my situation... when i plug the charger into the the scooter and turn the key everything seems to light up and contactor clicks as should, i turn the throttle and it seems like it starts to roll than immediately stops and the blue controller box blinks the green led light 7 times.. If i turn the key while the charger is not plugged in nothing happens at all, not click, no led lights, no battery gauge nothing.. So i figured maybe the batterys are just that dead somehow. So i tried to trickle charge the batterys but it didnt seem that they were ever getting charged, so i took a different 12 volt battery and ran a wire from the positive and negative leads of the battery to the leads heading into the blue controller on the scooter.. so this time i turned the key and everything clicked and lit up as it should running solely off the single 12 volt battery that i had in the gargae for a car. But once again i turned the throttle and it seemed like it started to roll than it immediately stopped and the blue controller flashed the green led light 7 times... does anyone know what the problem really is with my scooter before i pay money for parts that i dont need? thank you so much in advance if anyone is there to listen....

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture

If both batteries are dead, connecting one does not give enough power to make it run properly.
You need to try with 2 in series (24V) connected to the controller.

cory21

I connected two car old car batteries in series, check with a meter and had 23volts dc before I plugged it in... plugged the leads into the connevtions coming off the controller... turn the key and clicks on but soon as hit throttle it stops and glashes seven times on green led controller

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture

23V is very low for 2 lead-acid batteries, are you sure they are not totally gone as well and dips in voltage when you turn the throttle?

ysabelle

Hello all, sorry to jump onto this thread but I am new and it wouldnt allow me to start my own thread....... Looking for some basic advice. I have an ST12 EGO scooter that recently started to smell and make a hiss sound when charging. It now will not function correctly - the throttle powers on/off intermittently. I assume that one of the batteries has died so how would I go about testing this? More importantly how do I access the battery compartment?? Thank you so much!

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage