PENETROX, NOALOX, anti corrosion paste. GOOD IDEA OR...????

2 replies [Last post]
racermike39
racermike39's picture

I am ready to wire my electric motorcycle, and I was hoping to use an anti-corrosive paste on my crimp connections and battery connections.

I am NOT soldering my lugs on the cables, so please refrain from posting about why or why not I should solder my connections. Thanks in advance. ;)

I thought it was just going to be a quick trip to the electrical supply store, pick the paste up, and crimp & heat shrink away. Upon researching I found several options. Penetrox is a paste with zinc particles in it, but they offer 4 types.
Noalox is a similar product.

The manufacturers lists the application as being for aluminum to aluminum, aluminum to copper connections.

Penetrox also has a copper only product.

Almost all the Noalox product information is pertaining to aluminum connections.

Should I use is at all? Is there a better product? Will this product add resistance?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Racermike
5 years ago I met Jesus and he total ruined my life. I have never been happier.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
strawhistle
Re: PENETROX, NOALOX, anti corrosion paste. GOOD IDEA OR...????

:)

RacerMike , OK pentrox and onalox are both ul approved antioxidation products , they are listed for aluminum because aluminum oxide is nonconductive . the zinc powder is there as a sacrificial metal , any ionic electrolices will degrade the zinc instead of the al or cu . there is NO increase in resistance using eather product yhey just keep o2 and h2o from getting to the contacts I hope this answers your Questions May HE watch over you as you pass threw this life Later

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

andrew
andrew's picture
Re: PENETROX, NOALOX, anti corrosion paste. GOOD IDEA OR...????

I used heat-shrink with adhesive lining from evsoruce.com . I didn't use any anti corrosion compound which probably would have been a good idea. However, both the cable and lugs I used from EVsource are tinned to prevent corrosion. Here's from "Convert It" by Mike Brown p.98 (and I'll add my comments):

Quote:

First, use a box razor knife to strip 5/8" of insulation from the end of the cable. Be careful not to cut the copper strands inside.

What I did was not cut down all the way to the wire, but just far enough to where I could tear the remaining insulation. This worked well to prevent wire damage.

Quote:

Next, fill the lug half full with an anti-corrosion compound such as Noalox, or Cual-Aid. These compounds were developed when aluminum wiring was popular in homes, to prevent corrosion where the dissimilar metals met in copper/aluminum connections. It works very well for our application as well.

Carefully slide the bare copper into the lug, and wipe off any excessive anti-corrosion compound that oozes out. Place the crimper on a hard, flat, stable surface. Put the lug in the crimper, with the flat side down and the thick part centered under the punch. Strike the top of the punch with a hammer until the punch doesn't move any more.

I crimped my lugs in multiple places, repositioning and re-hammering the hammer crimper. So far, they've all worked great. I was sure to test them all by pulling as hard as I could.

Quote:

The final step is to slide a 1 1/2" piece of 1" diameter shrink tube over the lug and center it on the lug/cable joint. Shrink the tube into place with a heat gun

As I said above, I used adhesive lined heat shrink from EV source. They have guidelines for heatshrink size to cable size at bottom of this page:
EV Source - Heat Shrink Tubing

Anyway, Mike Brown continues on about high-power wiring. I don't want to copy more due to copyright issues. I think it's a great book.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
V3 Cycle Analyst for Electric Bikes Ebike Display The Cycle Analyst V3 dashboard with speedometer sensor and magnet is a great addition to any Ebike
Juiced Hybrid Accessories and upgrades for hybrid cars
Customize This