noob with too much time on his hands

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
dogman
dogman's picture
noob with too much time on his hands

I just joined the other day, and may be getting annoying with so many posts. This forum has been a great help to me for months now, especially guiding me away from a big car conversion as a first project. the forum really helped me drop the whole, it must be a car attitude. But when I went over the handlebars the other day and broke both collarbones I find myself with a great need to kill time, about 3 to 6 weeks, while I lay here healing up. Sending too many idiotic posts has really helped me forget a lot of pain and give me something to think about besides how dumb my boo boo was. Bear with me guys, and thanks a lot for being there. I can't stress enough how much the forum has helped me avoid making all the rookie mistakes.

Ian
Re: noob with too much time on his hands

how did it happen

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

PWNDizzled. When you expect to be riding again?

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

dogman
dogman's picture

Well tomorrow, 7 days after the crash I finally get to see a doctor about the injury. I could fill a page with rants about the whole e room, american health care issue. But being an old fart with many scars I can say at this point that I will not ride the mountain bike again till I am confortable with the thought of another roll in the curb. So it could be awhile, maybe six months before I feel the bones are that strong. Fortunately my first build is a schwinn trike, so now that I'm an instant geriatric i do have just the vehicle for that. No way will I want to take that thing all the way to work though, but I will get out to the grocery store on it pretty soon. Fortunately since all the ligaments on the right collarbone were separated 12 years ago that side actually feels pretty normal. That is normal being trashed it years ago. Anyway I allready have full use of the right hand.
As for how it happened, its on a few posts in other places allready but basicly I stuffed the waterbottle into the front forks. The bottle mount for a wallmart mongoose full suspension bike makes it inevitable that the front wheel will grab the bottle if you reach for it rolling. It was such a dumb place to put the bottle it took me quite awhile to see the mount bolts. Never pull that bottle rolling. No doubt the younger of ya'all have known this for years just like my generation knew all about what one pebble would do to a steel wheel skateboard. Skateboards pretty well dissapeared for a decade till urethane wheels got invented. I'm a pretty good bike handler, though I hadn't ridden much in decades, and was not having much trouble remembering how to do nifty moves like dodging a car while at the same time slapping the panel to wake that turkey up. But when I crashed I was doing less than 10 mph and was all alone on a four lane road. Kinda like shredding an expert ski run only to fall on the kiddie slope in front of the chicks. Easy stuff is what gets you, you're paying attention for the tricks.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

reikiman
reikiman's picture

After years of riding bicycles where you're leaning head first over the handlebars... I found first an Giant Suede and later an Electra Townie. Both are feet-forward near-recumbent bicycles. It would be very hard methinks to go flying over the handlebars but maybe I'll experience that eventually. I say this because in both cases your torso is upright and it's a very laidback riding position. However if one had a water bottle mounted on the front fork of one of these.. well..

ruprek

Do tell!

dogman
dogman's picture

That's sorta what led me to start out with the schwinn trike, but then I got all enthused and wanted to actually commute to work on it. But the route was bumpy, and I kept breaking spokes carrying 50 plus pounds of lead. On a one speed, I couldn't really help peadle untill the battery went flat, which happened every day. So I got the newfangled full suspension mountain bike with the you get one chance water bottle mount. It's so far down there that you could just about touch the street as easy as grab that bottle. Only an idiot would even try it moving. When the bottle hit the wheel i was so bent down I didn't have a chance. More upright and I could have at least vaulted the handlebars and had a shot at a fancy dismount. Usually I just lay the bike down and step off when the merde hits the fan. Its a good way to bend a back wheel 90 degrees. Once you throw the bike away you are free for the gymnastics. On motorcycles of course you want to ride on top awhile after you lay it down. There should be a course where they teach new riders that skill. Normally I have some pretty good bike handling skills. A friend of my older brothers used to take me out at about age 8 and scare the bejesus out of me, but riding behind him taught me things I thought were impossibe. Next Wednesday I get one shoulder remodeled with some screws and plates. The other one will heal on its own they say. I've been out for a spin on the trike allready so I am still hooked. Since I need money I'm back on the job again, you haven't lived untill you have finished concrete with two broke collarbones. Actually not that much more pain than normal for a construction guy.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot