stupid question

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
DWrath
stupid question

Sorry about this question, but I can't seem to find a simple explanation anywhere, but that's probably because it's so simple nobody has thought to post an explanation. Anyway, I've never owned a motorcycle/scooter, so I've never had to remove a tire from one. How do you remove the front tire?
Thanks

sgmdudley
Re: stupid question

It will depend on what brand of two wheel vehicle you have. For most two wheel vehicles, you must first remove the brake asm to get it out of the way, then remove the axle. The wheel then drops out. It may have a pseedometer cable attached on one side which would have to be disconnected.

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

DWrath

Thanks Robert. I have an EVTA R20, I'll give it a try.

sgmdudley

The EVTS R20 should have the brake rotor and caliper on the left side (as you sit on the scooter). The speedometer drives off the right side. Disconnect the speedometer cable housing (similiar to a automobile speedo). Then remove the two bolts holding the brake caliper to the fork. There are two pads in the caliper asm. Be very careful not to apply the right(front) brake lever as it will shove the piston out pushing the pads together. I use something like a thin piece of wood to wedge between the pads to maintain the distance between them. I think the bolts are 14mm. May be very tight.
Next hold the head of the axle bolt with one wrench and loosen the self-locking nut with another. May be really tight. Once nut is off, support the wheel and remove the bolt.
The speedo drive mechanism is a housing with a gear drive inside. The outside of the housing has a stop bar on it. When reinstalling, make sure this stop is on the correct side of the fork position stop. Look at this before removing the wheel. This stop is what prevent the speedo housing from rotating.
In order to support the scooter while removing the wheel, I made a device from a 3' X 3' piece of 5/8ths plywood. I mounted two large eye bolts near one end. Park the scooter on this wood platform, on the center stand, then use a adjustable shipping strap across the luggage rack to hold the rear tire down against the wood platform. This will prevent the front end from accidentally dropping while wheel is removed.

Rear_tiedown.jpg

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

strawhistle

;) Dudley , that was a very cleaver idea !!!! Later

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

DWrath

Yea, thanks Robert for the details. Very nice set-up. I've just been strapping a bungie cord to the top of my seat and to the bottom of my garage door, but your set-up is more practical; don't have to worry about someone opening the garage door.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Yea, thanks Robert for the details. Very nice set-up. I've just been strapping a bungie cord to the top of my seat and to the bottom of my garage door, but your set-up is more practical; don't have to worry about someone opening the garage door.

grin

dogman
dogman's picture

Life comes at ya fast.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

christian

Hi,
I got my Z20b in Feb 07, but I only started to use it these days... I only put 80 miles on the odometer so far. I remember Fernando Pruna's words on the phone as I was asking about local tech/mechanical support in my area: "Don't worry the technology is so simple and reliable that except changing a tire or a bulb you won't need any kind of support". Well, reading the forum it seems that people have various troubles with their EVTA toys. As we are left in the wild with our DIY skills and optimism, I would like to meet some Z20/EVTA rider(s) here in Southern California (Los Angeles area) in order to share knowledge and experience in maintaining or fixing our bikes..,
feel free to e-mail me directly.
Thanks,
Christian

ardmore1906

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage