New Crystalyte 406 motor with 36v20a controller; will the following battery configs work?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Namtab
New Crystalyte 406 motor with 36v20a controller; will the following battery configs work?

Hi! I just joined this site and I gotta say I’m happy I found the place!

My details:

I just picked up a Crystalyte 406 and a 36V 20A Start Immediate Brushless Controller from ebikes.ca (parts C3620SI and M406F26), but haven't got batteries yet. I’ll be using this mainly as a commuter bike.

My commute is about 12 miles round trip, and I could recharge at work if the system can handle the extra cycles. I prefer a safe and leisurely ride, so I am very happy with max speeds of 10-15mph; I wont go over 20mph.

My very smart friend had recommended two lawn mower batteries, and then he went on vacation in the jungle before I could get exact details from him.

My question:

From nosing around here I can tell that lead-acid AGM deep-cycle batteries, which are sometimes marketed as 12v lawn mower batteries, are probably what Mr. Smarty Junglepants was talking about. But was he paying attention? Can I use two of those (24v in serial) with my 36V 20A controller (it says it has a cutoff voltage of 29V)? It seems to me I would need three of these puppies to hit 36v and run this system. FYI, I’m fairly technical but I want a plug and play solution.

The real question:
Okay, three (?) lawn mower movers is about $180 (with charger) and 22lbs? And might be a little more than I need at 12miles (lets see: 36v x 10a = 360 … 360 / 15watts per KM = 24km or 14miles per charge). It looks like that will get me to work.

Please confirm I got that right. If I am way off base, let me know, and I’ll start saving for the Dewalts.

Other things I should know (AKA advice for the newbie)?
-What online vendor would you use to buy the batteries and charger for a fair price?
-Um, what charger should I get? Any favorites here folks?
-Okay, what Batteries should I get?
-How about easiest connection method? I think the controller uses Anderson connectors, can I buy those?
-Do I need a fuse inline in this system?
-I know to use a steel fork for the front hub motor, but what other safety tips do I need to know?

Thanks a Million Volt People!

Nam

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Reppuken!! :D

EDIT: I had a reply all typed up when I was hit with that stupid text-box resize glitch. Have we worked out a cure for that yet?

My question:
From nosing around here I can tell that lead-acid AGM deep-cycle batteries, which are sometimes marketed as 12v lawn mower batteries, are probably what Mr. Smarty Junglepants was talking about. But was he paying attention? Can I use two of those (24v in serial) with my 36V 20A controller (it says it has a cutoff voltage of 29V)? It seems to me I would need three of these puppies to hit 36v and run this system. FYI, I’m fairly technical but I want a plug and play solution.

Yah, he's a nubcake :p. You'll need three to run a 36V system.

The real question:
Okay, three (?) lawn mower movers is about $180 (with charger) and 22lbs? And might be a little more than I need at 12miles (lets see: 36v x 10a = 360 … 360 / 15watts per KM = 24km or 14miles per charge). It looks like that will get me to work.

Please confirm I got that right. If I am way off base, let me know, and I’ll start saving for the Dewalts.

Normally, you'd be right, but you can safely get only about 50% of an SLAs rated capacity out of it (accursed Peukert effect). You might be able to make it, though, since 360W continuously is rather high for only 15mph.

If you do go with lithium, however, DeWalts aren't your only option, especially since you don't need the sheer performance of some of us on the Endless-Sphere forums. Makita makes good packs, for maybe 20% cheaper than the DeWalts. Milwaukees are good, too, but since they're 28V, you won't be able to run a 36V system without some work.

Normally, I'd also recommend a pack from a fellow by the name of Ping on eBay, but lately his packs have been selling for far more than they're worth; so much so as to drive me to work on a pack out of the Makita cells I mentioned. If the prices of those normalize again, you might have a looksee.

Other things I should know (AKA advice for the newbie)?
-What online vendor would you use to buy the batteries and charger for a fair price?
-Um, what charger should I get? Any favorites here folks?
-Okay, what Batteries should I get?
-How about easiest connection method? I think the controller uses Anderson connectors, can I buy those?
-Do I need a fuse inline in this system?
-I know to use a steel fork for the front hub motor, but what other safety tips do I need to know?

People seem to like the Hawkers, but they don't come cheap, as lead acid goes. I have a few Powersonics, myself. They work pretty well. I can get all kinds from my local electronics candy shop, though, so I don't really look around for them on the net.

Cheap Chinese charger from eBay works fine. However, I do recommend that you also get a 12V charger to balance the batteries with occasionally. The Vectors are regarded fairly highly for this.

See above ;).

Yeah, they're the favorite of pretty much everybody. eBay sellers have deals on them sometimes, otherwise most get them from Powerwerx.

Fuses are a good idea bordering on a necessity. I have a breaker and a fuse, myself.

You should be okay since you aren't running that much power, but just remember that front failures are almost always very, very bad. You might want to run torque arms (if you can fit them) anyway. That being said, I didn't run front torque arms with my BD36 at 36V and 30A and didn't have problems, but I had 6mm thick drops and I still worried, though.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

andrew
andrew's picture
Re: Reppuken!! :D

EDIT: I had a reply all typed up when I was hit with that stupid text-box resize glitch. Have we worked out a cure for that yet?

What I do when this happens is move the cursor to the very top of the text box. This way, I can click and then highlight all of the text by moving down and copy it. Then I hit page reload, and usually the typed text reloads, but just in case it doesn't, then I can just paste it.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Reppuken!! :D

Ty. I have to use Ctrl+A to highlight everything, but this would have saved me time had I known it earlier. >_<

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage