Phoenix 5503 Hub - How do I open and where do I get parts?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
RetroRob
Phoenix 5503 Hub - How do I open and where do I get parts?

It seems that one of my hall-effect sensor wires inside the hub has come loose, but I am leary of opening the Hub as I have no experience in this [I have an electronics background]. Could someone instruct me on how to open the Hub and any precautions I might need? The hub also happens to have a noisy bearing and I would like to replace it. Does anyone know where I might be able to get parts for this model? There is an electric bicycle shop near where I live but they are unfamiliar with the Phoenix 5503 - In Canada they only have the much smaller versions...

Any help would be appreciated...

Regards,

Robert

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Phoenix 5503 Hub - How do I open and where do I get parts?

They used to have a page on crystalyte.com describing how to open up one of the motors.

This page I wrote about opening an EVT hub motor might give you a few ideas:

http://www.7gen.com/book/my-ev-projects/cleaning-evt-hub-motor/701

What I remember of the crystalyte page is they also recommended using a gear-puller just like I did with the EVT hub motor.

RetroRob

Thanx... that is helpful. When trying to open it it seemed it should just come apart from all inspections I made - It's good to know that the force holding it together really is just magnetic and what tool you used to make the separation. I am still leary - this is a brushless motor and still may differ somewhat. I also noticed that the two halves of the motor remained attached to their respective covers. What held the covers to the motor halves? My intention on opening is to resolder the wiring of the hall-efect sensor wires, yet, I wonder what further I will need to do once opened to access that area and if their was a particular half you decided to attach the gear puller on.

Regards,

Robert McNarland

dogman
dogman's picture

There are some videos on u tube that show opening a hub motor.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging