Shaft drive energy loss?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
tkemmere
tkemmere's picture
Shaft drive energy loss?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know howmuch energy one looses in a shaft drive?

- I found on Wikipedia that a straight sprocket wheel transmission looses about 5%. Does the 90 degree one loose that much more?

- I know that my cardan, after bringing much power across to the wheel (up to 60kW), does not realy get really hot. And if there is a loss, it can only go into heat-energy (?). It also doesn't have any cooling fins. My cardan has a 3,4:1 reduction in it, 10 sprockets on the shaft, 34 on the wheel axle.

I may end up doing a conversion, and I would like to have a shaft drive, cause it will be so much more silent! :-)

Cheers, Thomas.

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Shaft drive energy loss?

I went through the same considerations and would now prefer a belt drive.

It combines the best of both worlds: Silent, but easy adjustment of transmission ratios.

And no grease.

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

deronmoped

I think they have the losses figured out for automobile gears, that may give you a idea. Another place to look would be these guys that build these solar powered cars, I'm sure they have the losses of everything figured out to the last watt.

Deron.

tkemmere
tkemmere's picture

Good point, I can mail one of the engineers of the Nuna4 here in Delft, Holland.
If I find something out, I'll post it back.

tkemmere
tkemmere's picture

Áctually I did some more searching on -litterally- the title of this topic. (dispite the slow internet I currently have).

And found out that genrally several people agree that a shaft drive looses between 5 and 15% of the input energy. in heat and especially, if the parts are not perfectly fit, in bending en moving in directions that are not required.

All together for me, too much loss to continue considdering it for a conversion. A chain or a belt will loose, when well maintained, resp. 3% to 5% says my gutfeeling.

Besides, I'm looking will be looking for a 400-500 cc chasis, which usually do not have shafts.

The belt drive idea is a very good one! I'm willing to give up 5% for silence sake. I think silence is a wonderful feature of an EV.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage